Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What exactly does Cessna mean by "hip-hop" team?

11,909 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
Mayhaw Jelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He uses it as a criticism in this article. Is a "country/western" or "rock n roll" team better than a "hip hop" team?

Old white dude is old

https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/cessna-s-grades-texas-a-m-football-team-showed-new/article_03a859b4-1497-11e9-9fd5-af3e15f331ad.html
EliteZags
AG
more image than talent?
TheWoodsAg
AG
Stop being offended by EVERYTHING millennials........ you'll be much happier and enjoy life much more.
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Stop being offended by EVERYTHING millennials........ you'll be much happier and enjoy life much more.

This. Good Lord.
PatAg
AG
Mayhaw Jelly said:

He uses it as a criticism in this article. Is a "country/western" or "rock n roll" team better than a "hip hop" team?

Old white dude is old

https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/cessna-s-grades-texas-a-m-football-team-showed-new/article_03a859b4-1497-11e9-9fd5-af3e15f331ad.html

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant they were more worried about listening to the music during practice than getting to work...as was highlighted in the offseason by aggie athletics.
Johnny2Fan
Jelly a snowflake???
EVA3
AG
He's not wrong.
Joe Exotic
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Everything is racist now. HTH
ConLaw
AG
Dog whistle. The racists heard it.
Joe Exotic
AG
ConLaw said:

Dog whistle. The racists heard it.

See what I mean
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wtf ? This was an RC Slocum issue in the mid 90s

Fire this idiot

Alpha Texan
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

oh my gosh don't be so mean. I literally had a panic attack because I felt like you were just completely attacking me.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Old white dude is old
Socially acceptable racism, with a shot of ageism.

mm42
Cessna is old and white. OP is young, soft and a ******bag. Sad that so many young adult males are such pu$$ies. Truly sad. Hopefully his balls drop some day.
Dudus Duodecim
AG
Flexbone
Mayhaw Jelly said:

Old white dude is old

The answer to your first question is yes. Those are both better. The "hip hop culture" is the single biggest failed "culture" in our country today. Single parent homes, the only way out is sports, etc. Its an absolute **** show.
Post removed:
by user
Falsedawn
AG
Texags flying too close to the sun yet again.

Some of you really should drop all pretenses.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think we can all admit that regardless of musical preference a "country western" or even a "bro country" team is not what we want.
Joe Exotic
AG
Falsedawn said:

Cuz like everyone is racist right?
hunter2012
AG
If only Cessna was a general...

Emilio Fantastico
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I think we can all admit that regardless of musical preference a "country western" or even a "bro country" team is not what we want.

We clearly want an easy listening team.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Mayhaw Jelly said:

Old white dude is old

EliteZags hit it - All flash and no substance. At least, that is what I'm gleaning. Poor analogy by Cessna. But, really, he is a small town writer covering football at a highly conservative school in Texas. Not really, shocking.

The "millenial" dogpile in this thread is pretty funny. Good job, Zoo. Never change.

And, personally, I prefer a punk rock football team. Of course, that means the team would just be strung out on drugs with a whole lot of dyed hair. I don't think that translates to a lot of Ws, but it would give some of the aforementioned dogpilers heart attacks which wouldn't be a bad thing.

kisses.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Falsedawn
AG
Bo Darville said:

Falsedawn said:

I wonder what image you think A&M casts when black aggies are told to stop being histrionic when we express our concern with some of the viewpoints espoused by other aggies.

That backwards reputation we have? That's where it comes from. You'd be amazed how often I have to clarify "Yes, I went to THAT Texas A&M".

No problem calling a spade a spade. And we have a lot of spades.
Spotted Ag
AG
Mayhaw Jelly said:

Old white dude is old

You voted for Beto, didn't you?
Geriatric Punk
AG
I was wondering when someone was going to play this card.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Quote:

I'm dying.
Bill Superman
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

This millennial agrees

But also, please stop confusing us with this new generation z - they're the real culprits
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
We have BOTH types of music here, Country AND Western
Joe Exotic
AG
Falsedawn said:

Bo Darville said:

Falsedawn said:

I wonder what image you think A&M casts when black aggies are told to stop being histrionic when we express our concern with some of the viewpoints espoused by other aggies.

That backwards reputation we have? That's where it comes from. You'd be amazed how often I have to clarify "Yes, I went to THAT Texas A&M".

Hip and hip hop culture is trash. Blues music is fantastic and the stories they tell are fantastic.

Both are forms of predominantly black music. But if you attack one and not the other it's "racist". Why is that?
BrandoC
AG
Ghetto.
Windy City Ag
AG
I think Cessna is just pointing out that Sumlin tried to win by juicing up recruiting via a sleek and cool program image.

Remember this NY Times article?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/with-rap-music-and-a-chopper-texas-ams-kevin-sumlin-is-a-cool-customer.html

Quote:

With Rap Music and a Chopper, Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin Is a Cool Customer

COLLEGE STATION, Texas A visit to a Texas A&M football practice is musically akin to a trip to a swanky hip-hop club in downtown Houston or a hot spot on Miami's South Beach. The Aggies opened fall practice with the rapper Drake's dis of his fellow rapper Meek Mill, "Back to Back," as a prelude to several other tunes on the cutting edge of rap.

In the middle of the bobbing heads of more than 100 young men in their late teens and early 20s was Kevin Sumlin, who, at 51, just might be the coolest coach in college football. Just to be clear, Sumlin did not party with the rapper Rick Ross and the Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel during the weekend of the 2013 national championship game. But the fact that Sumlin had to debunk such a story speaks to his place within the hierarchy of college football coolness.

So rather than search for hidden racist subtext, maybe we can just agree Sumlin used Hip Hop music as one of his tools to be the most relatable and cool guy to recruits.

We even had a badass DJ right?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

What type of people do you hang around with?
AggieBill005
AG
4 said:

TheWoodsAg said:

This. Good Lord.

For the ongoing criticisms of millenials, its clear that non-millenials can certainly be snowflakes too. Stop trying to make everything about being a offended millenial. You'll be much happier and enjoy life much more...

If anything, OP tries makes a bad joke --- the fact that some of y'all are jumping at him for being "offended" is demonstrating you own bias, like you are LOOKING for reasons to ***** about millenials (even in an instance where there is nothing to ***** about).

As to the OP's question, Cessna is trying to be cute in saying that the team was full of trend and flash (Hip Hop) with no grit.
Falsedawn
AG
AGnCS said:

Quote:

What type of people do you hang around with?

Irrelevant.

Also strikingly tone deaf considering that the topic is minimizing the experiences of black aggies and here you are attempting to find some reason to minimize mine. Let me guess, if they don't think A&M is pure and blameless that they're Beto voters or whiny millennials?

I mean, it's like you just laid yourself out in front of me. Brutal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.