Story Poster
Photo by Rey Romo, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M junior Linebacker Tyrel Dodson declares for NFL Draft

January 2, 2019

Texas A&M junior linebacker Tyrel Dodson on Wednesday announced via twitter that he would forego his senior season and declare for the NFL draft.

Dodson is the second junior to announce he is leaving. Tight end Jace Sternberger announced on Tuesday that he would enter the draft. Running back Trayveon Williams, center Erik McCoy and possibly defensive tackle Justin Madubuike are also considering entering the draft. Players who have been out of high school for three years are eligible to declare for the draft.

A popular player on and off the field, Dodson may have hinted that he’d decided to leave the program the week before the Aggies left for the Gator Bowl when he answered all questions on the matter by repeating: “I’m just trying to win my first bowl game.”

He played a major role in helping the Aggies defeat North Carolina State 52-13 in the Gator Bowl. He posted a team-high 9 tackles and returned an interception 78 yards for a touchdown to stake the Aggies to a 28-13 lead in the third quarter.

He also played a key role in bolstering the A&M defense, which is rated 32nd in the nation overall and fourth in the nation against the run.

Dodson was a three-star rated recruit coming out of Franklin (Tenn.) Centennial High School in 2016. He appeared in every game his freshman season, recorded 27 tackles and recovered a fumble against Arkansas.

He moved into the starting lineup his sophomore season and led the Aggies with 105 tackles, including 11 for losses. That included 5.5 sacks. He also was credited with 8 passes broken up. He had three interceptions, including one he returned 40 yards for a touchdown against Louisiana-Lafayette.

This season, Dodson posted 70 tackles, broke up three passes, recovered a fumble and had the interception against North Carolina State.

He completes his A&M career with 202 tackles, including 19.5 for lost yardage. He had 6 sacks, 4 interceptions, 15 passes broken up and two fumble recoveries.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M junior Linebacker Tyrel Dodson declares for NFL Draft

20,763 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Maroon Flash
ShotOver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good luck T!
A New Hope
Huge pick up when he committed. Huge loss with his declaration for the draft. Huge wishes for him in his future. Gig'em.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Going to miss Dodson
CWby '90
AggieBlu
AG
I wish him well at the next level. Looking at our LB depth makes me sad now.
wcaggie04
AG
Don't get this one... I am for guys going when they will be a first rounder or have no real chance to improve draft stock, however, I don't believe either are true in this case.

Very big loss to next year's squad.

Hope it works out for him.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Good luck, Dodson!

This one hurts. I would have loved to have seen him play next year with another year in Elko's system. I think he would have been an even bigger beast.
aggieclay
Damn, I hope Hansford's picking things up and recovering fully.
SoCalAg97
AG
wcaggie04 said:

Don't get this one... I am for guys going when they will be a first rounder or have no real chance to improve draft stock, however, I don't believe either are true in this case.

man i dont get this either. i feel like he's being given some bad advice here. wish him the best and hope i'm wrong.
randy828
AG
Need Hines to step up and stay healthy.

Good luck Dodson, we are definitely going to miss you next year.
Mr. Black
Best of luck and gig 'em, Tyrel!
AggieRinger
AG
Crap. We are screwed at Linebacker for next year.

So dumb.
C Loves L
Jbob88 said:

So dumb.

Yes you are.

Good luck Tyrel
TAMU74
AG
Good luck to ya and thanks for the "pick 6".
I've been waiting all year for someone to do that.
Best always.
ontheway
AG
Classy comment

Thanks Tyrel for being a Aggie and super MB. Good luck in the NFL.
ontheway
Ajollyag
Whose giving jace and dodson this crap advice. Dodson wont be picked till 3rd rd at best. I dont get it.

Is playing under Jimbo that bad/hard?
AggFan41
Fuc*
Free Lunch
AG
6th rounder at best, Unsigned free agent at worst. Enjoy the $300k non guaranteed contract.

What a horribly misinformed non sense decision. I thought it was a prank at first. Who is giving these players bad advice? Jace is at least semi reasonable. Even with his under developed blocking he has shown enough on film and likely has the measurables for a first 3 rounds pick. Dodson isn't even close and had a chance to significantly bolster his film and draft grade with another year in college where he is the focal point of the defense.

Damn shame. Good luck to him regardless but what a shame.
GoneForGood
basketballaddict44
He's getting advice from scouts, right? His film is going to demonstrate that he's a great football player, and he's likely to test well physically. I believe he squatted 675 lbs before his sophomore season, and he'll show he has solid speed and footwork at the combine. He's been incredible for 2 out 3 seasons. I'm not sure what he really has to prove by staying a fourth year.
Class of 65
AG
Agents at work! Good luck Tyrell
el_guapo
Did not expect that. Hope he doesn't regret it. Could be leaving a lot of money on the table if he had a great next year which he's capable of.
tatimobile
AG
wcaggie04 said:

I wish him all the best in the NFL. I think (and hope) he'll eventually catch on and adjust to the NFL speed but I must say I honestly think he needs another year. I hope I'm wrong. Yes, the draft may be a rude awakening when he finds out that the NFL has different views on him (grade) than he or his advisors do, but he'll figure it out and eventually adjust to make an impact at the next level.

It's a loss for our LB core in terms of play calling and getting the DL and LB's in position. I think he'd make more money being drafted in the 1st or 2nd round next year (over 4 years) than he would leaving now and being drafted wayyyyy lower (5 year run).
AWP 97
AG
basketballaddict44 said:

He's getting advice from scouts, right? His film is going to demonstrate that he's a great football player, and he's likely to test well physically. I believe he squatted 675 lbs before his sophomore season, and he'll show he has solid speed and footwork at the combine. He's been incredible for 2 out 3 seasons. I'm not sure what he really has to prove by staying a fourth year.
I think we get so caught up in rooting for the good Aggies like Dodson that it is hard to be objective. He has a lot to gain by staying a fourth year. Where do you think Von Miller would have been drafted after three years? Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Dodson is Von. However, I have not seen any draft information that makes me think that Dodson is going to be a first or second round pick. My best guess for him would be a late 4th rounder or 5th rounder. He did not have as good of a season statistically this year as he did last year. Obviously, a lot of that is because of scheme change, the defense faced less plays, and because Alaka played better.

My only argument is that I believe he would be drafted higher next year than coming out this year. He would have another year in Elko's system and would be the unquestioned leader of the defense and have a good shot to make All-SEC.

I have no doubt that Dodson talked to Fisher, scouts, his family and everyone else that he felt like he needed to talk with to make an informed decision. I have no idea his family situation or any of the factors that he used to make said decision. I support him 100% and will be pulling for him on whatever team that takes him. He was an awesome Aggie and I wish him the best.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Well, if/ when his draft position surprises folks, then such is a great sell to recruits: "Elko, Jimbo & company got Dodson and others ready for the NFL in 1 year; imagine what we can do for you IF you spend a few seasons here while winning big games, having fun, and joining the ranks of a passionate student body/ alumni association for one of the nation's best universities!"
SEC Champs
AG
Terry Price sighting
ScudAg56
This is surprising as Dodson wasn't even 2nd team all SEC. Does he really think he'll be drafted?
ScudAg56
angryocotillo
AG
He's starting in the divisional round of the playoffs tonight for the Bills. I don't really follow the NFL, and I was surprised to see him in the lineup.
Shoefly!
AG
ScudAg56 said:

This is surprising as Dodson wasn't even 2nd team all SEC. Does he really think he'll be drafted?

Doi! Well he didn't get drafted!
Maroon Flash
AG
Dodson kicking ass against KC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.