Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Think Bama is just pulling...

11,232 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mpaggie06
gocobra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the same old stuff the sips use to pull?

Load up on the players in the positions others really need so other teams can be exposed for lack of talent / depth in a key position or two.

I mean how may top DBs does Bama really need? All of them?? Really? When I was in college I'd liked to have had a few dozen girlfriends on any given day..... but what would I have done with all of them? (yay yay you are a stud and would have managed it. I call BS brother)

tu use to do whatever it took to keep us from landing key recruits to keep us from being more competitive.

OK OK.. the kids get to choose to go wherever they want. I get that. and there are now scholly limits these days.

but I just don't buy that bama really believes they need EVER 5* DB in the gallaxy to the point they are out after key commits of their competition. There has to be a limit on addressing your actual needs in key areas.

So that's on my mind today -- now flame away.

NickEZ08
Well the strategy has worked so far...
Aggie_Jeff
I think it's more about the kid wanting to go to Bama because they are winning national championships nearly every year. Some kids think that's swell.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Is what the poster is saying that good recruiters take good players?
NavyAg92
AG
Meh, most, if not all, know that they have to compete or transfer. It's a risk I'm sure they're aware of. Some will leave early for the league, which will give others opportunities.

Some know Tua will be there for another year or two, which raises the probability that they'll get a NC ring. That's somewhat of an incentive.
AgPediRPh
AG
That's okay because when Alabama wins, we win! sec sec sec
Redrooster
You got to be kidding right???
TexasAGGIEinAR
gocobra said:

Load up on the players in the positions others really need so other teams can be exposed for lack of talent / depth in a key position or two.

I mean how may top DBs does Bama really need? All of them?? Really? When I was in college I'd liked to have had a few dozen girlfriends on any given day..... but what would I have done with all of them? (yay yay you are a stud and would have managed it. I call BS brother)

tu use to do whatever it took to keep us from landing key recruits to keep us from being more competitive.

OK OK.. the kids get to choose to go wherever they want. I get that. and there are now scholly limits these days.

but I just don't buy that bama really believes they need EVER 5* DB in the gallaxy to the point they are out after key commits of their competition. There has to be a limit on addressing your actual needs in key areas.

Looks like a carbon copy of Looch and Brandon Leone's conversation on Twitter. They discussed this last night post Scooby announcement.
gocobra
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

gocobra said:

Looks like a carbon copy of Looch and Brandon Leone's conversation on Twitter. They discussed this last night post Scooby announcement.
Interesting. Did not know Looch was talking about this. I'm not a premium subscriber or use twitter. but so maybe I'm not completely nuts then.
Meximan
Actually Alabama's one weakness this year is in the secondary, it's just that not many have been able to truly exploit it. A&M was one of the few who almost did. Look at their numbers; one of their starters is among the worst in college football at giving up the deep pass.

So yeah, they kinda do need help in the secondary if they want to achieve perfection.

And at any rate, in any given year you want to sign 3-4 DBs, where at least one is a true safety, if not 5, because teams use so much spread these days. Same thing for receivers. Nearly 2/5 of every class is DBs and receivers, and another 2/5 linemen.
MaroonMachine
The main difference is tu, and Darrell Royal did it before scholarship limits. They were a bunch of cheating dogs as well.
Pelayo
AG
Mack B did it to us as much as he could early on.

Butt no alabbama is not purposefully targeting al the DB's in the univverse like tu did in the past. Where not an in state rivvall
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bv86ag
AG
I think people were just so hyped because Jimbo seemed to be doing really well in recruiting that they're kinda surprised by these last minute defections and the fear of perpetual mediocrity that we've suffered since 1939. Now the reality that Saban can and will flip any kid any time is becoming even more frustrating because as VERY long suffering Aggie alumni...we feel we've paid our dues to the football gods for 79 years now...no other fan base has suffered for so long after sacrificing so much money,time, and emotional investment in a college football program. Unfortunately, all Saban has to do is give a kid an offer on an official visit just one time...and every other program is toast. And he is probably not going to retire any time soon.
bv86ag
AG
We just have to hope Jimbo can keep grinding away and maybe with scholarship limitations Saban won't be able to sign every 5 star every year at every position.
Hamburger Dan
If Bama (Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, etc) poaches any of our recruits - we are doing something right. At the least, it means we are targeting the nations top recruits. Also shows that Jimbo and his staff are working on bringing in top talent. Until aTm can have sustained success, we're still going to lose some recruiting battles to the top schools.
The best recruits want to play for a national championship and achieve high draft status.
Most of theses players are simply mercenaries looking for a way to the top.
bv86ag
AG
The question is...how do you finally break through to the top if we keep losing key recruits every year? Guess somebody needs to ask Dabo Swinney because he finally broke thru after several frustrating years.
Post removed:
by user
TheFirebird
AG
bv86ag said:

The question is...how do you finally break through to the top if we keep losing key recruits every year? Guess somebody needs to ask Dabo Swinney because he finally broke thru after several frustrating years.
Clemson doesn't have to play Alabama every year.

Hamburger Dan
bv86ag said:

As for me, I'm hoping Oklahoma kicks the **** out of Bama. Every dent in the Saban, Alabama machine will eventually payoff. When they do eventually stumble, Aggs need to be there, ready to go.
bv86ag
AG
Saban himself said that exact thing when he got hired by bama. In his introductory press conference he said he wasn't that great of a coach but he was a great recruiter. Turns out he wasn't just bragging.
PFG
AG
Yes
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
Tobias Funke
AG
Pelayo said:

Mack B did it to us as much as he could early on.

Butt no alabbama is not purposefully targeting al the DB's in the univverse like tu did in the past. Where not an in state rivvall
ironmanag
AG
I get the desire to win the MNC, but players like Harris and Carter while very good are going into positions that are stacked.

They may win a couple of MNCs but they will do it playing special teams or not playing at all until they are seniors.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Sumlins Pool Guy
It's pretty wild that there are people on this board who think Saban is worried about us
FarmersFight95
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

Saban ain't that great of a coach.

he is, however, the greatest recruiter of all time.

his train got rolling & he will decide when to stop it, nobody else.

Wow, me thinks you've been consuming too much of your brewed product there...

45-70Ag
AG
Does bama not have the same scholarship limits everyone else does
95_Aggie
AG
At least Bama is getting the most for their money.
TheFirebird
AG
Yeah, Bama has the same scholarship limits as everyone else. And one thing that Saban is a wizard at in addition to recruiting-- roster management.

He is recruiting the kids he thinks will be best for his program, to his program. Jimbo needs to move on and step up.

Texas 1836
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

I agree.

As Barry Switzer, among others, said, "it's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and Joes."

And as Steve Spurrier said, "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours."
TMartin
Not sure Saban is taking recruits to hurt A&M but is definitely part of a war between Jimbo and Saban since A&M took two of Bama's recruits last year. Maybe Georgia or Florida but that's not supposed to happen with A&M.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

Obviously to be a great coach you need to have great players, but if Nick Saban "isn't that great of a coach" then who by your standard is a great coach?
Hamburger Dan
Sumlins Pool Guy said:

It's pretty wild that there are people on this board who think Saban is worried about us

Sadly, I think this post is pretty accurate.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

he is a good coach. no doubt.

but what I mean by not a great coach is he doesn't need to be. his recruiting is so good & now it just feeds itself with more & more 5 stars. when you start 22 four & five star players you don't have to be a great coach. you have to not get in the way.
mistakes made by his players are fewer, and can be covered by the other 10 players on the field.

his offense & defense are vanilla. no need for great football minds making elaborate schemes when you can just win by going hat on hat.

he beats you with depth
he beats you with speed
he beats you with heart
he beats you with brute force

all of these of the 5 star variety

good coach
GREAT recruiter
He also won a national championship with LSU and while that was a very good team, it was not a team built with year after year of number one recruiting classes, same with his 2009 Alabama team...he has proven to be a great coach AND a great recruiter
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.