Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kellen Mond = Dak Prescott

7,446 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Muy
NickEZ08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts?
Sq 17
currently no, Mond does not look like an NFL Qb, Dak his last two seasons at State did look like an NFL Qb
Alpha Texan
AG
they both play football
NickEZ08
Both have come up huge in clutch moments but also have inexplicably propensity to turn the ball over..
sincereag
Very similar...both can win or lose almost any game.
Ian Neff
AG
S-E-C
Amazing Moves
Mond is a developing true sophomore. Dak is deep into his 3rd season as a starter. It's a bad comparison.
Aggie_Jeff
gig_this said:

NickEZ08 said:

Both have come up huge in clutch moments but also have inexplicably propensity to turn the ball over..

Clutch? As in Mond's best play in his last game was screwing up by kneeling down to pick up a snap (which he never should have dropped)? That was clutch.

Or Dak. At the end of the first half today throwing a ball behind an open receiver, that had he caught it, they would have run out the half. But it's dropped and they get a field goal instead of 0? That was clutch.

Or similar in that the wide open receiver is overgrown? Or the best at check downs and screens?
They won both games. To say Mond wasn't clutch when it ultimately counted is just foolish. Was it fortunate that Mond's knee was down, yes but what he did after that moment was clutch.
WC94
AG
Mond over throws wide open receivers and Dak under throws wide open receivers. Or the other way around.
gig_this
Aggie_Jeff said:

gig_this said:

NickEZ08 said:

Clutch? As in Mond's best play in his last game was screwing up by kneeling down to pick up a snap (which he never should have dropped)? That was clutch.

Or Dak. At the end of the first half today throwing a ball behind an open receiver, that had he caught it, they would have run out the half. But it's dropped and they get a field goal instead of 0? That was clutch.

Or similar in that the wide open receiver is overgrown? Or the best at check downs and screens?
They won both games. To say Mond wasn't clutch when it ultimately counted is just foolish. Was it fortunate that Mond's knee was down, yes but what he did after that moment was clutch.

Insufferable. He didn't know his knee was down and threw a pick. His screw up allowed him to continue to have a shot...not his stellar play.
Rarely does someone get a chance to redo his clutch play that he previously $h!t the bed on. He just needs to drive the bus. When we have to rely on him to win a game, we are done. And we aren't to bus driver status at an like Bama has been.
RadAg14
AG
His best play was likely 1 of his 7 TDs
Meximan
Gig this? Mo like Crybaby This
aeon-ag
NickEZ08 said:

Thoughts?
WAKE UP!!!!! YOUR DREAMING!!!!
Doug Ross
AG
starting qb in the nfl vs cant beat auburn
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NickEZ08
aeon-ag said:

NickEZ08 said:

Thoughts?
WAKE UP!!!!! YOUR DREAMING!!!!

You're
BMX Bandit
We'd be in fiesta bowl if this were the case
MassAggie97
AG
It's a good comparison IMO. Both are game managers with below-average accuracy. Neither have "signature" moments of greatness at their current level of competition. Despite a large body of work from which to draw conclusions, when watching both of them I get the nagging feeling that "this is not the guy".
rsf0626
Hate on the dak all you want but he's proven over and over again how clutch he is late in the game. Kellen's got a little bit of that himself
twogoatsfn
AG
Doug Ross said:

starting qb in the nfl vs cant beat auburn
MassAggie97
AG
Quote:

Hate on the dak all you want but he's proven over and over again how clutch he is late in the game. Kellen's got a little bit of that himself

I don't hate Dak, or Mond for that matter. Both are probably good enough to be a part of an elite team. Neither of them would be considered elite themselves, and they share some of the same faults. That's all I'm saying.
brockdgag86
Have been thinking the same thing. Both make mistakes but then make plays that make you think they have "it" just need to be more consistent. Can be careless with the ball but forget about turnovers or bad plays quickly. Both very calm.
ABATTBQ11
AG
gig_this said:

NickEZ08 said:

Why don't you go be a butthurt troll somewhere else?
AgPediRPh
AG
They are both good guys that you want to root for, but are horribly inaccurate passers. It was easy to make the comparison after watching Dallas the day after the Ags.
mjhhawk
The QB he reminds me the most of in college actually is Vince Young. Awful as freshmen sharing the job. Numbers ticked up as a sophomore. Now hopefully Mond can take off following a solid off-season and become a special college player. I'm not giving up on him like many have.
texancanuck11
Statistically, Kellan is a bit worse than Prescott was his junior season.

Prescott (jr.)
396 attempts
61.6% completion
8.7 Yd/Att.
3449 Yards
27 TD
11 Int.

Mond (so.)
389 attempts
57.6% completion
7.6 Yd/Att
2967 Yards
23 TD
8 Int.

If Mond keeps improving and gets his completion% up, he could develop into a similar caliber QB, but he's not there quite yet.
Tosul
AG
If you're talking about them both being average and inconsistent then you're 100% correct. Neither are elite but they have great moments. They also struggle heavily when they are needed and make poor decisions
HoustonAg2106
AG
mjhhawk said:

The QB he reminds me the most of in college actually is Vince Young. Awful as freshmen sharing the job. Numbers ticked up as a sophomore. Now hopefully Mond can take off following a solid off-season and become a special college player. I'm not giving up on him like many have.

Neither is Jimbo.
JJxvi
AG
Prescott was actually clearly better than Mond statistically in his junior year. Looking at the passing numbers doesnt tell the story because the offenses are different and their capabilities are different.

Dak's junior year blows Mond out of the water.

In addition to those 3449 passing yards, Dak ran for 986, Mond only 387. The yardage difference is now almost 1100 yards.

27 TD's likewise does not tell the story. Dak had 15 more touchdowns than that actually rushing and receiving for a total of 42 compared to 29 for Mond.

The sophomore numbers might be close in terms of yardage and touchdowns, but again two vastly different styles and totally different offenses.
texancanuck11
Here's the Prescott sophomore stats

267 attempts
58.4% completion
7.3 Yd/Att
1940 yards
10 TD
7 Int.
829 rushing yards
13 rushing TD

You're right that Mond is worse than Prescott as a junior, but his stats look better as a sophomore. If he progresses, the same way, he'll be a great QB the next couple years
JJxvi
AG
Dak also didnt play the entire season. He swapped in an out with Tyler Russell I believe while Russell battled injury.
dellgriffith
AG
MassAggie97 said:

It's a good comparison IMO. Both are game managers with below-average accuracy. Neither have "signature" moments of greatness at their current level of competition. Despite a large body of work from which to draw conclusions, when watching both of them I get the nagging feeling that "this is not the guy".

Dak has a 68.2% completion percentage this year. That is not below average.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Goro Majima
AG
Makes bad reads, holds on to the ball too long, has a propensity for backbreaking turnovers?

Also has a propensity to deliver when it counts?

Yes, he's Dak Prescott.
MassAggie97
AG

Quote:

Dak has a 68.2% completion percentage this year. That is not below average.
Zeke Elliott is the team's leading receiver. Not hard to complete a pass to a guy that's 5 yards away.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Cowboys QB (probably never) that could miss so many wide open dow-field receivers with his throws. Seems like there are at least 1-2 throws every game where a guy gets 5 yards behind coverage and Dak just misses him.

Again, I like Dak. I think he's a nice guy and a decent QB. I just don't think he'll be the reason they win a Superbowl. And to the OP's point (I think), Mond is in the same general category.
bbigfish
Slow thinkers struggle with consistency. Fast thinkers own the game.
bv86ag
AG
Jimbo is not going to suddenly bench Mond for all the trolls and haters on Texags. He was a true freshman last year thrown into the fray out of necessity. This year he is a developing sophomore getting better under a real coach. If he continues to develop over the offseason he could be something special next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.