Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Can someone give me the cliff notes

11,457 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WtHrOoOlPl
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sumlin should send a thank you note every single day to JFF.
Flexbone
mugwurt said:

Flexbone said:

When a player is injured but still playing, you don't tip off other teams so they can hit him where he's injured.

He denied the KA injury after the game.

I hope all the KA bashers who defended Sumlin vehemently and refused to see the obvious in KAs injury feel like the idiots they are after reading the article.

And? At that point he didn't know if Allen would be playing again.
pasquale
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

I still ****ing hate Kryler and always will. IDGAF how you feel about the coaches. When he refused to play he hung an injured teammate out to dry and team performance aside risked Allen doing permanent damage to his throwing arm..

Which game did Kyler refuse to go into ?
Bryanisbest
AG
Didn't Sumlin say right after he pummeled South Caro to open the season in 2014 with the Trill that he must not be "a one trick pony" after all?
eldog569
AG
walton91 said:

https://texags.com/s/28049/qb-chaos-an-inside-account-of-the-tumultuous-2015-texas-am-season

Man. I feel disgusted with myself that I ever defended Sumlin on this board. I must have completely blocked this season out of my mind or something.

Thanks Jake. A true Aggie, and incredible insight on what happened.

Good riddance to Sumlin and the old regime and glad to move forward as Jake has noted.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Synopsis said:

Hubenak wrote that spectacularly. He didn't place blame, just laid out what happened in a very good way.

Too bad there arent more "journalists" (I know Jake is not a journalist) that can report facts the way Jake does. Then again, most people that have any talent at all don't become journalists.
To be fair to the journalism profession here, Jake was writing about a topic that he was intimately involved with and had first hand knowledge of. He was simply writing an article using himself as his major source. Writing about a topic where he was actually having to do investigative legwork and piece together a story from others as sources would be a pretty different sort of challenge.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Stumpknocker said:

Sumlin and BCG have some things in common...

1) a good player who gets them almost to the top JFF and Acey Law

2) Summy parlays JFF into contract exten$ion he didn't deserve. BCG parlays AC and a couple good years into the mother of all jobs at uK.

3) both encounter problems of their own making. Poor management of personnel and personal problems.

4) Poor decision making accelerated their declines.

Moral - the tea cools quickly once best player is gone.
Sumlin was significantly more stable in terms of a home life and personal level than the BCG at Kentucky and Texas Tech, who was fighting some significant personal demons including alcoholism.
88jrt06
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Synopsis said:

Hubenak wrote that spectacularly. He didn't place blame, just laid out what happened in a very good way.
Too bad there arent more "journalists" (I know Jake is not a journalist) that can report facts the way Jake does. Then again, most people that have any talent at all don't become journalists.
To be fair to the journalism profession here, Jake was writing about a topic that he was intimately involved with and had first hand knowledge of. He was simply writing an article using himself as his major source. Writing about a topic where he was actually having to do investigative legwork and piece together a story from others as sources would be a pretty different sort of challenge.
What Jake wrote was his perspective. Believable.
Another honest person could write his/her perspective and it would be different.
Jake was competing for QB1. Personally, I don't think he got a fair shot.
It wasn't a hit job, but it was based on his, an undergrad QB's opinion who was in the competitive mix.
Doubt any coaches or parents of other competing QBs shared a lot w/him, for example...which matters.

I'd like to read other perspectives (like coaches'), but the fact that Jake's is the only version out there leads some to conclude that his version is the be-all/end-all. I like Jake and the article, but I don't agree, and I don't think we'll ever get the perfectly accurate story. One thing: Neither Kyler nor Kyle was or would be a top-notch SEC QB....ever. So, no Heisman QB at A&M since JFF. No question. So, not the loss it may have seemed. JMO.
TMartin
Regardless of what happened Kevin Sumlin will live the life of a very rich man the rest of his life without ever accomplishing much. Not uncommon today. I was one of those who always hoped Sumlin would right his ship until he had Charlene carpet bomb TAMU with the "Letter." That was cowardly but after reading Hubenak's accounting not the first such act. Good luck Arizona but I am predicting soon Sumlin will be in the broadcast booth hailed as an offensive genius and the man who developed Johnny Football.
Win At Life
AG
Stumpknocker said:

Sumlin and BCG have some things in common...

2) Summy parlays JFF into contract exten$ion he didn't deserve. BCG parlays AC and a couple good years into the mother of all jobs at uK.

3) both encounter problems of their own making. Poor management of personnel and personal problems.

Law was only a 3 star recruit and he could only guide the team to a 7-21 record under Watkins. Law almost quit under BCG's first year due to the intensity of workouts and BCG notched a 21-10 turnaround in his first year. BCG's discipline was much more instrumental in making Law a great success than Sumlin's coaching was at making JFF a great success. This is a bad comparison. Other than Sumlin letting JFF start, he didn't do much to actually make him better than he already was when he arrived.
Snap E Tom
Ags4DaWin said:

BI never blamed Allen. Everyone knew he was hurt and being hung out to dry by Sumlin. I had a slight inkling but until reading that article no concrete evidence that Kryler had hung Allen out as well.

I still ****ing hate Kryler and always will. IDGAF how you feel about the coaches. When he refused to play he hung an injured teammate out to dry and team performance aside risked Allen doing permanent damage to his throwing arm. Kryler let all of his teammates down but worse could have gotten a teammate who was playing through a brutal injury seriously hurt.

Hubenak alluded to it without throwing Kryler under the bus, but that is what Kryler did. Read between the lines.

Pettiness and a lack of maturity and a lack of concern for a teammate are Kryler's story here. I don't usually wish bad things on people but it would be beautiful karma if Kryler's post college career were cut short by injury.

On the whole of it, I would wish this story would get national attention so that no QB worth his salt ever played for Sumlin ever again.

Jake flat out says he was the backup for the Ole Miss game, not Kyler. Why aren't you accusing Jake of haggling Kyle out to dry as well?
wbt5845
AG
Snap E Tom said:

Ags4DaWin said:

BI never blamed Allen. Everyone knew he was hurt and being hung out to dry by Sumlin. I had a slight inkling but until reading that article no concrete evidence that Kryler had hung Allen out as well.

I still ****ing hate Kryler and always will. IDGAF how you feel about the coaches. When he refused to play he hung an injured teammate out to dry and team performance aside risked Allen doing permanent damage to his throwing arm. Kryler let all of his teammates down but worse could have gotten a teammate who was playing through a brutal injury seriously hurt.

Hubenak alluded to it without throwing Kryler under the bus, but that is what Kryler did. Read between the lines.

Pettiness and a lack of maturity and a lack of concern for a teammate are Kryler's story here. I don't usually wish bad things on people but it would be beautiful karma if Kryler's post college career were cut short by injury.

On the whole of it, I would wish this story would get national attention so that no QB worth his salt ever played for Sumlin ever again.

Jake flat out says he was the backup for the Ole Miss game, not Kyler. Why aren't you accusing Jake of haggling Kyle out to dry as well?

Jake was the backup because Kyler had refused to play in that game earlier in the week.

Kyler and Kevin were a mess that Sumlin mishandled pretty badly. Kevin was never keen on Kyler going to A&M in the first place.
Stumpknocker
Rumlin and BCG have some things in common...

2) Rummy parlays JFF into contract exten$ion he didn't deserve. BCG parlays AC and a couple good years into the mother of all jobs at uK.

OrygunAg
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

They wanted to play elsewhere pure and simple. The ne won the heismann, the other could not beat out even the third string qb at uh.

Wondering if it had something to do with his I jury or he had just mentally checked out...I mean he went from sumlin to slimy herman. Guessing he got more **** there.
OrygunAg
AG
Sumlin was a fraud of a coach just like fran. He didn't understand any part of the game and even less on being a head coach/leader. The guy got lucky a few times with good hires and once in a lifetime talent, which he squandered. I predict he will never coach again after e is fired from Arizona.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Boggles my mind that people still take up for Sumlin
schmellba99
AG
Disagree on Kyle. He had some really good flashes showing he was a top notch QB, but he was never shown the backing and support from the staff. Every other team out there names a starter and that is the guy - Sumlin did that with JFF, he did it with Hill until he fell off th wagon, but he never did it with Allen. Couldn't tell you why (well, I probably could), but Allen was never once given the title of "starter" and everybody else knew their pecking order. Hubenak talks about in the article - Allen was routinely pulled in several games and Kyler put in - there was no continuity, no explanation, no nothing.

To say that Allen would never be a top notch SEC QB is pure conjecture (same with Kyler, I suppose), truth is that we'll never know. But of the two, Allen displayed significantly better QB capabilities versus SEC opponents than Kyler did.

Sumlin screwed the pooch with this entire situation, that cannot be overstated enough.
WtHrOoOlPl
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Synopsis said:

Not really facts, maybe events. This is a first person narrative which means it is the equivalent of an editorial/opinion piece (Hubie though did probably the best job one could here). Then again there isn't any news anymore that isn't simply editorial or opinion I guess. If the whole 2015 QB debacle was really to be given justice someone who somehow have to get all the parties involved (about 7 individuals total) and do 7 really good interviews that are without agenda other than each's retelling of the narrative then summarize the key pieces the journalistic team is able to connect from those interviews to attempt publishing something for the fan base as a realistic 2nd person narrative of events as the historical record would academically demand.
Aggie Football is only played for 2 quarters, choose wisely.
'03, '09 Walton Loads
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.