Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Can someone give me the cliff notes

11,492 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WtHrOoOlPl
YaGuey09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On what exactly led to the quarterback transfers under Sumlin? I've admittedly been somewhat out of the loop for a few years, and just now getting back to following the program. Have there been any statements released by anyone actually involved? Or is everything we know just from "my roomate's girlfriend who knows someone close to the team"?
Froppe
AG
The two guys who are now being paid big bucks to be offensive geniuses at the University of Arizona happened.
walton91
https://texags.com/s/28049/qb-chaos-an-inside-account-of-the-tumultuous-2015-texas-am-season
Post removed:
by user
YaGuey09
AG
walton91, you are a good person.
Synopsis
Wow. That was an EXTREMELY well written article. I read the entire thing. What the hell was wrong with the coaching staff to do such things?
Synopsis
Hubenak wrote that spectacularly. He didn't place blame, just laid out what happened in a very good way.
YaGuey09
AG
Synopsis said:

Hubenak wrote that spectacularly. He didn't place blame, just laid out what happened in a very good way.
Username checks out

And yes, a very well-written piece.

After reading the first paragraph I went back and watched the highlights of the game on youtube, just to get a refresher. Man oh man; Kyler was fun to watch. I dont think what people are saying about him not being able to compete in the SEC with our O line is true. He was able to make plays with his feet if he had to.
Gardening Ag

Out of pettiness I've been following Arizona football boards and press this season. You can literally change the university name and all the issues are the same.

" Sumlin just needs the right coordinators"
"too many injuries, can't blame Sumlin"
"we're historically an average program, so we should be happy with an avg record"

A few people are catching on and noticing the red flags already though"
"Sumlin seems disconnected and aloof"
"Coaches aren't talking to each other or players on the sideline"
"Not sure what kind of offense we're running"
" poor in-game decisions and lack of adjustments"

I feel bad for the Arizona fans that are going to waste the next few years of their lives hoping that next year will be better. At least they have some historical context to put it in so maybe it won't take them as long to cut bait.

Lateralus Ag
AG
Synopsis said:

Too bad there arent more "journalists" (I know Jake is not a journalist) that can report facts the way Jake does. Then again, most people that have any talent at all don't become journalists.
Snap E Tom
Re-reading that again, I still don't get why Kyle Allen wasn't pulled in the Ole Miss game.

Sumlin pissed off both Kyle and Kyler at that point. The relationship with Kyler was effed already, so it wasn't like it was a conspiracy to get Kyler playing time. Hube was the backup in that game. Why hang Allen out there to look bad?
Agsrback12
YaGuey09 said:

Synopsis said:

Username checks out

After reading the first paragraph I went back and watched the highlights of the game on youtube, just to get a refresher. Man oh man; Kyler was fun to watch. I dont think what people are saying about him not being able to compete in the SEC with our O line is true. He was able to make plays with his feet if he had to.

Did you watch the Auburn game? That was the end. That was after a team had some film on Kyler. He would have been eaten up by SEC defenses.

105 yds 0td 3int

Compare Will Greer's stats to Kyler. Kyler had two extra games on Greer. Greer also sucked in SEC and all of a sudden bdf defenses happened.

It's funny how the bdf defenses change things.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Snap E Tom said:

Re-reading that again, I still don't get why Kyle Allen wasn't pulled in the Ole Miss game.

Sumlin pissed off both Kyle and Kyler at that point. The relationship with Kyler was effed already, so it wasn't like it was a conspiracy to get Kyler playing time. Hube was the backup in that game. Why hang Allen out there to look bad?

It is almost as if he wanted Kyle to look so bad that he wouldn't take any heat if he benched him.
Roger Goodell
Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

It is almost as if he wanted Kyle to look so bad that he wouldn't take any heat if he benched him.

Agreed. Sumlin was always looking for a scapegoat. Player or coach.
Muy
AG
Isn't it Clift Notes? / texagsuser
Lateralus Ag
AG
Muy said:

Isn't it Clift Notes? / texagsuser

Actually it is "Cliff's Notes".
GarryowenAg
AG
I don't think I saw that when it first came out. Thank you for putting this out. Great read. It actually lightens the disappointment and dislike I had for Kyler and Kyle. They were done dirty.
Snap E Tom
Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

If he used his "we don't talk about injuries" schtick to hid that, then that's a whole new level of eff KDS.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Snap E Tom said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

If he used his "we don't talk about injuries" schtick to hid that, then that's a whole new level of eff KDS.

He absolutely just denied he was injured. He didn't even give him the benefit of saying "we don't discuss injuries". He straight up said no, he isn't injured.

THAT is a whole new level of ****ty.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Agsrback12 said:

YaGuey09 said:

Synopsis said:

Username checks out

Did you watch the Auburn game? That was the end. That was after a team had some film on Kyler. He would have been eaten up by SEC defenses.

105 yds 0td 3int

Compare Will Greer's stats to Kyler. Kyler had two extra games on Greer. Greer also sucked in SEC and all of a sudden bdf defenses happened.

Hell, just go back to the Az State game. On one run, Kyler didn't slide or didn't slide early enough and got hit in the back and almost didn't get up. And that was against a PAC-12 defense.

In the Auburn game, he was in the open field and instead of trying to put a move on some DBs that were in the area, he slid when they got within 10 yards of him.
YaGuey09
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Agsrback12 said:

YaGuey09 said:

Synopsis said:

Username checks out

105 yds 0td 3int

Hell, just go back to the Az State game. On one run, Kyler didn't slide or didn't slide early enough and got hit in the back and almost didn't get up. And that was against a PAC-12 defense.

In the Auburn game, he was in the open field and instead of trying to put a move on some DBs that were in the area, he slid when they got within 10 yards of him.
So, just to make sure I'm understanding this argument correctly:

He's a weakling, or not a good football player, because he can't take a hit, but he's also somehow a weakling or not a good football player for keeping himself from getting hit (by sliding) so he can remain in the game? I remember seeing JFF slide...alot.
He's obviously small, and is prone to getting his bell rung, but also an explosive player whom his team relies on for big plays; sliding is a no-brainer. I would even go so far as to say that he was probably coached to slide instead of "finishing" the run.
Bachelor99
AG
SpiDer09 said:

I don't think I saw that when it first came out. Thank you for putting this out. Great read. It actually lightens the disappointment and dislike I had for Kyler and Kyle. They were done dirty.
exactly...what a clusterf@ck...thank god KDS is long gone. i cant believe any quarterback would want to play for him after that debacle. meanwhile at arizona, looks like khalil tate may transfer too. wow.
AceAggie05
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

He absolutely just denied he was injured. He didn't even give him the benefit of saying "we don't discuss injuries". He straight up said no, he isn't injured.

This is what I've been saying since it happened. I never played football, but even I knew Allen was injured. The way his arm moved, the way the ball came out. It didn't have the umph or the finesse that it did before the injury. When Allen transferred, I didn't blame him one bit. Sumlin absolutely threw him under the bus. When Kyler transferred, I was a little more confused. I didn't know this story, but I could understand how the series of events could cause Kyler to lose faith. I wasn't happy when he left, but I chalked it up to not knowing the whole story, and placed blame not on Kyler, but on the people who made the problem what it was
BanderaAg956
Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

I remember getting permabanned for pointing that out when it happened! No AgTag anymore... now the mod's forget they acted that way!
Lateralus Ag
AG
drevans956 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

I remember getting permabanned for pointing that out when it happened! No AgTag anymore... now the mod's forget they acted that way!

I was permabanned for saying Sumlin was a hack. I asked nicely for my username back. They gave it back.

Maybe they will do the same for you.
BTKAG97
AG
Roger Goodell said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Snap E Tom said:

Agreed. Sumlin was always looking for a scapegoat. Player or coach.
Or a letter.
TXAGBQ76
AG
They wanted to play elsewhere pure and simple. The ne won the heismann, the other could not beat out even the third string qb at uh.
AGHouston11
AG
Snap E Tom said:

Sumlin refused to admit he was hurt. In my opinion it only seemed for his own selfish reasons. Sumlin alone cost us that game.

I personally think he wanted people to believe Kyle was not very good instead of being hurt.
Flexbone
When a player is injured but still playing, you don't tip off other teams so they can hit him where he's injured.
astroboy
AG
If you want another example go out to the sbnation Arizona Wildcat blog. It feels like the last 6 years rolled into one:
"Man what a grab, stupid Aggies. What a coach!"
"Well, I thought he was a recruiter, this isn't going so well"
"How did Houston beat us so bad? I guess maybe first year?"
"Why is Khalid throwing 30 passes? Our defense is always on the field."
"We beat Oregon! WTF!!!"
"WE'RE DOWN 41 POINTS TO WAZZU AND GO FOR TWO? MAZZONE YOU DUMBASS!!!"
"Jesus in Heaven. We lost to ASU being up 3 TDs in the fourth quarter. What is Sumlin's buyout?"

Artorias
AG
Flexbone said:

When a player is injured but still playing, you don't tip off other teams so they can hit him where he's injured.

He denied the KA injury after the game.

I hope all the KA bashers who defended Sumlin vehemently and refused to see the obvious in KAs injury feel like the idiots they are after reading the article.
Ags4DaWin
I never blamed Allen. Everyone knew he was hurt and being hung out to dry by Sumlin. I had a slight inkling but until reading that article no concrete evidence that Kryler had hung Allen out as well.

I still ****ing hate Kryler and always will. IDGAF how you feel about the coaches. When he refused to play he hung an injured teammate out to dry and team performance aside risked Allen doing permanent damage to his throwing arm. Kryler let all of his teammates down but worse could have gotten a teammate who was playing through a brutal injury seriously hurt.

Hubenak alluded to it without throwing Kryler under the bus, but that is what Kryler did. Read between the lines.

Pettiness and a lack of maturity and a lack of concern for a teammate are Kryler's story here. I don't usually wish bad things on people but it would be beautiful karma if Kryler's post college career were cut short by injury.

On the whole of it, I would wish this story would get national attention so that no QB worth his salt ever played for Sumlin ever again.
B-1 83
AG
Isn't it good that we have a coach that stuck with Mond instead of listening to the TexAgs "coaches"?
aggiedad20
Synopsis said:

Wow. That was an EXTREMELY well written article. I read the entire thing. What the hell was wrong with the coaching staff to do such things?

Coaching staff was underpaid, therefore chaos ensued...
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.