Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyler Murray - No Excuse...

11,773 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jbob88
Don Dawson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goodness, before you flame, I know that Kyler leaving was not Jimbo's fault, so he's not to blame and not sure if "anyone" is to blame per se, but what an incredible breakdown on one of the largest college football programs in the nation to lose Kyler.

Losing two 5-Star QB's is unthinkable and only brought back the disfunction when the very next year on of our transfer wins the top award. We work so hard and spend so much money on facilities, new stadiums, etc. trying to get these top recruits and granted...we did.

Losing Kyler was more than just Sumlin having a culture that wasn't player friendly (or too player friendly) as this runs much deeper. In addition we lose TWO 5-Star QB's, but for argument's sake let's focus on Kyler. We lose a guy who had been named the freakin' starter, the son of an Aggie Football legend, and DNA threaded through Texas football...and he STILL leaves!

Yesterday adds insult to injury. He proved to be the best athlete in college football and may be primarily responsible for OU winning it all...doubtful, but they could. Sumlin aside, there should have been MANY stepping in to prevent losing one of hour highest profile recruits in recent history.

This guy transfers and wins the Heisman, No excuse to work so hard to build a program, spend crazy money, and lose the best player in CFB. To think he was an Aggie and the starter is disappointing and will go down as one of the big mishaps in recent history for Aggie Football.

We are a dynamic QB away from a 10 win season. We have a good coach, and sure a few holes here and there, but had we had Kyler this year, we beat Clemson, and maybe another 1-2. Mond is much improved, but not the guy as he never looks comfortable. Who will be next guy to take us over the top?

We lost a Heisman winner. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

seebond
AG
Sumlin's scheme couldn't take advantage of Kyler's strengths, the OLine would've been too weak for SEC defenses and Kyler wouldn't have survived a full season.
Yes, it was a disaster for Sumlin, but it was clearly the best thing for Kyler.
OldArmy71
AG
The entire process with Kevin, Kyler, and Sumlin was so flawed and dysfunctional that it really doesn't bother me that he left. None of the three are on my radar at all anymore.
88jrt06
AG
He NEVER wins Heisman or 1st team All-SEC, period.
That's a BDF Heisman.
So, no we did not lose an SEC-level Heisman winner, at all.

Plus, Kyler can walk without a cane today and move on to baseball!
Aggie_Jeff
Wow what a long bad post. I'm not even going to go into the amount of stupid in the post plus you could have just added it to the other "poor us" posts on the subject.

Wait I will say something, we beat Clemson? Really? So that loss was on Mond? So Kyler throws for 4,000 and runs for whatever against the defenses we faced? He never gets hurt or pulls himself out of a game? Christ dude
Phoenix1
Kyler is going to get exposed- big time- against 'Bama. The Heisman vote will look rediculous after that game.
Krazykat
AG
It's all in the past. You need to move on. We have a new skipper at the helm. The future looks bright.
WC94
AG
Quote:

when the very next year on of our transfer wins the top award.

That was 3 years ago.. How did you get an Ag Tag?

Hard to keep the guy, when the majority of his teammates think he is an entitled dewsh.

Feel sorry for Kyler, Bama gonna get their revenge for Tua.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
He just got in trouble for calling his friends queers when he was 15.

How do people know they aren't?
Al Bula
AG
txag72
AG
Kyler = Alex Robinson in basketball? We'll see by the end of the year. Nobody ran Kyler off though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Quote:

I will never understand the desire to trash everyone and every team that has nothing to do with the success of your own team.

Quote:

You disrespect OU and the conference they play in as an excuse for the Aggies ineptitude in hiring coaches.

He says, on another team's website.
Gunny456
AG
These forums are for Aggies to get together, talk a little, and discuss things about Aggieland. They are for us and our brothers/sisters to voice an opinion about how they feel on subjects.We all are educated Ags and each have something to offer and our own opinions. We certainly are not always going to agree but we can show respect to a fellow Aggie and not call people "stupid" for what they give as an opinion.
AustinCountyAg
Winning hides a lot of imperfections
Loyalty
AG
Don Dawson said:

Goodness, before you flame, I know that Kyler leaving was not Jimbo's fault, so he's not to blame and not sure if "anyone" is to blame per se, but what an incredible breakdown on one of the largest college football programs in the nation to lose Kyler.

Losing two 5-Star QB's is unthinkable and only brought back the disfunction when the very next year on of our transfer wins the top award. We work so hard and spend so much money on facilities, new stadiums, etc. trying to get these top recruits and granted...we did.

Losing Kyler was more than just Sumlin having a culture that wasn't player friendly (or too player friendly) as this runs much deeper. In addition we lose TWO 5-Star QB's, but for argument's sake let's focus on Kyler. We lose a guy who had been named the freakin' starter, the son of an Aggie Football legend, and DNA threaded through Texas football...and he STILL leaves!

Yesterday adds insult to injury. He proved to be the best athlete in college football and may be primarily responsible for OU winning it all...doubtful, but they could. Sumlin aside, there should have been MANY stepping in to prevent losing one of hour highest profile recruits in recent history.

This guy transfers and wins the Heisman, No excuse to work so hard to build a program, spend crazy money, and lose the best player in CFB. To think he was an Aggie and the starter is disappointing and will go down as one of the big mishaps in recent history for Aggie Football.

We are a dynamic QB away from a 10 win season. We have a good coach, and sure a few holes here and there, but had we had Kyler this year, we beat Clemson, and maybe another 1-2. Mond is much improved, but not the guy as he never looks comfortable. Who will be next guy to take us over the top?

We lost a Heisman winner. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I blue starred your post but at this point... he's gone, its over, he won. Congrats Kyler.

We don't have the same program in place as when Kyler left. Apples and oranges. Sumlin exposed his true inability to shoot straight with people and properly manage players in a professional way (Khalil Tate anyone?).

Legit question: Is Kyler a great QB in the BDF where they don't play defense? Hell ya. The SEC? not so much IMO.

Lets see what happens against the best in the country where the LB's are just as quick as Kyler and the DB's know how to cover.

ABATTBQ11
AG
As much as I that's to are with a sooner, this guy is right. I blame kyler's situation here 100% on sumlin boot being a good leader or manager. We had discipline and attrition issues left and right, and kyler seems to have gotten a lot better at OU and have had any issues with his teammates.I don't think kyler was the problem. I think the problem was that we had a vey poorly led team to begin with.
WC94
AG
Can someone post for roygbell the interview with Kevin Murray talking about how great Charlie Strong is as a coach while his son is committed to the Ags?

Kevin Murray = Lavar Ball

Like Magic Johnson, Stoops had the skins on the wall to keep daddy in check. Sumlin not so much.

Aggie_Jeff
Well I didn't call him stupid just a hefty amount of what was written stupid. Now I could call you stupid for not realizing that fact but you have an ag tag so that's just out of the question. I guess I will just let it go and say great opinion.
Lateralus Ag
AG
roygbell said:

Another pretty accurate and decent post gets trashed by fans who are so butt hurt that they can't see the reality of what was the situation. You disrespect OU and the conference they play in as an excuse for the Aggies ineptitude in hiring coaches.

For all the posts about how bad Kyler Murray and his father might be from all accounts Kyler and his family were model parents and player at OU. Not a single hint of any problems with either Kyler or his family. You discount the kind of coaching Kyler got at OU. You discount the quality of the OU offense and offensive players. All for the same of making yourselves feel better about a lifetime quality QB who left A&m for a great situation at OU. You trash OU, a school and program that is now celebrating it's fourth Heisman QB and it's other Runner-up Heisman QB in the last 19 years. If you watched the last night's Heisman program you got a first hand seat to the kind of relationship Kyler had with his Head Coach ... actually his two head coaches and the connection they had with their QB.

I will never understand the desire to trash everyone and every team that has nothing to do with the success of your own team.

I will never understand the desire to go to another team's message board and preach about what those fans talk about. I would usually say get a life, but I realize you are probably in Oklahoma and it is damn near impossible to do. Don't you have church to go to and bask in your self-righteousness?

Go away.

Chesapeake Ag
This was 100% on Sumlin. He's the only former A&M coach I wish ill on, because he always had to have a fall guy for his own incompetence and many failures. A very long list of players and coaches left under a cloud yet it was somehow always someone else's fault.

I say congratulations to Kyler, and I wish things had worked out differently, but I'm excited about where Jimbo is taking us. I have no doubt that if Jimbo had been Kyler's coach he would have won a Heisman here too.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Kyler matured !
88Warrior
Truth is there's blame on both sides... Sumlin and the Murray's... no way to accurately predict what would have happened if he would have stayed...it's over..time to move on..
Threadbare
Wait until he manages to get out of the Alabama game with all his limbs attached before you drink any hemlock.

I didn't watch OU this year, but I understand they have a great offensive line that lined up week after week against inferior Big 12 defenses. It was the perfect setup to protect his weakness, which I still think is durability. An OU friend of mine told he has hardly taken a hit all year.

It's unlikely he would have been able to manage that in the SEC...
Muy
AG
OP is letting this get to him too much. Sumlin sucked at managing the situation, and we fired him. Congrats to Kyler, and while I don't care much for him personally, he earned it and probably wouldn't have playing our schedule.
aggiedad20
Champ Bailey said:

He just got in trouble for calling his friends queers when he was 15.

How do people know they aren't?

And right on cue he apologizes...damn this country is soft
JR69
AG

oysterbayAG
AG
ESPN thinks Kyler may be near the bottom of the 1sr round of the NFL Draft !
p-wonk01
AG
seebond said:

Sumlin's scheme couldn't take advantage of Kyler's strengths, the OLine would've been too weak for SEC defenses and Kyler wouldn't have survived a full season.
Yes, it was a disaster for Sumlin, but it was clearly the best thing for Kyler.

This. He's great at dancing around a la JFF, but not a huge pocket guy. Playing the SEC defenses we do, with our patchwork line under Sumlin and even this year, would have been the end of him.
Bone6
I wanted Sumlin gone in 2015. TexAgs wanted to create the narrative that Allen/Murray were just bad apples.

I'm sorry, but kids don't transfer from the starting QB job at schools like a&m unless something really f'ed up is going on internally. A lot of people on TexAgs ran Kyler's and Kevin Murray's name through the mud when Kevin Murray is an Aggie who probably just saw his son in a toxic situation and was concerned. Sure, Kyler might have somewhat of a mindset to prioritize himself first (as most athletes do in this generation), but he's a damn good athlete and football player. It's disappointing he didn't stay an Aggie.
BanderaAg956
Phoenix1 said:

Kyler is going to get exposed- big time- against 'Bama. The Heisman vote will look rediculous after that game.

LMAO - yea rediculous and even as ridiculous as this post!
DecadePlan
AG
roygbell said:

Another pretty accurate and decent post gets trashed by fans who are so butt hurt that they can't see the reality of what was the situation. You disrespect OU and the conference they play in as an excuse for the Aggies ineptitude in hiring coaches.

For all the posts about how bad Kyler Murray and his father might be from all accounts Kyler and his family were model parents and player at OU. Not a single hint of any problems with either Kyler or his family. You discount the kind of coaching Kyler got at OU. You discount the quality of the OU offense and offensive players. All for the same of making yourselves feel better about a lifetime quality QB who left A&m for a great situation at OU. You trash OU, a school and program that is now celebrating it's fourth Heisman QB and it's other Runner-up Heisman QB in the last 19 years. If you watched the last night's Heisman program you got a first hand seat to the kind of relationship Kyler had with his Head Coach ... actually his two head coaches and the connection they had with their QB.

You have nine more posts today to figure it out. Good luck, Rook Without a \
AgWeb44
Aggie_Jeff said:

Well I didn't call him stupid just a hefty amount of what was written stupid. Now I could call you stupid for not realizing that fact but you have an ag tag so that's just out of the question. I guess I will just let it go and say great opinion.

Aggiejeff is an internet tough guy...

You may think OP's position lacks merit, but can you show us some of your intellectual prowess and provide counter arguments? It takes a real mental giant to just respond to people with, that's stupid.

I know you can do it AJ!
TXAGBQ76
AG
I don't know that we lost a Heismann winner. Do you honestly believe that sumlin and mazzone's system would have produced what riley's Did? I do not for a minute believe that. Just like I don't believe brees would have been that successful under rc's system.
DecadePlan
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

I don't know that we lost a Heismann winner. Do you honestly believe that sumlin and mazzone's system would have produced what riley's Did? I do not for a minute believe that. Just like I don't believe brees would have been that successful under rc's system.

Or that Johnny would've won a Heisman playing safety.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I know; Mack was not very bright was he. Was it three or heismann winning qbs he said could not play qb?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.