Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Getting upset with recruiting is dumb

5,119 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bill Superman
ConLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teenagers are fickle. They all are. I'm a high school teacher and I can't believe that grown men put their hopes in the whims of teenagers.

Adult fans who obsess about high school recruiting are plain weird. These are kids we're taking about.
TyperWoods
People just need to realize these kid's word means nothing.

Don't count your recruits until the LOI is signed, sealed, and delivered.
Lateralus Ag
AG
TyperWoods said:

People just need to realize these kid's word means nothing.

Don't count your recruits until the LOI is signed, sealed, and delivered.

Wisdom has no place on this board.
sincereag
Trust the coach and in the process of building a program like Jimbo is doing. There will surely be dissappointments like recent ones but in the end it will all work out.
sonnysixkiller
AG
Amazing thing is it goes on year after year these recruiting sites are horrible and it's the same every year lots of people with too much time on their hands. Do grown ass men really care that much where an 18 year old still kid decides to play a sport !
Aggie_Jeff
Only a few get ridiculous on this subject but that's because it hurts when someone just basically tells you you're not good enough. Whatever the reason.

Deep down I don't like it but it doesn't ruin my day and I don't want the kid to fail. It tells me we have to start winning more and winning big. We still have a great class and it's not over.
merc
AG
If no one cared these boards wouldn't exist. You can be upset with recruiting specifics and not be a jerk that much I can agree with. I do not blame people one bit because the two positions Saban just took from us are two of the most important on the roster right now. He absolutely knows that too. It's a slap in the face. There is an outside shot I suppose we grab a couple of big national guys but there is a good chance you'll end up with two guys with less upside than the two we lost. Not the end of the world. Give everyone a day to be pissy then move on.
piag94
AG
In this day and age of technology, kids are more into themselves than in years past. I couldn't care less about "commitments". Wake me up on signing day
CFBCommenter
I'm sory ur a highschool teachr
LatinAggie1997
AG
Jimbo can win. Jimbo plus his recruits can win a lot. Jimbo with consistent top 5 classes will reshape the SECW.

I trust Jimbo.
Bill Superman
AG

We'll be fine

Jimbo's got some flips up his sleeve

TexanJeff
AG
I'm not upset at the kids

I'm disappointed cause I thought we were finally past the tipping point on getting the elite recruits we need and now two of the guys I am most excited about will be playing against us 3-4 times.
technoviking
AG
You guys that "don't follow recruiting" crack me up. Recruiting is a major part of college football. If you're an NFL fan, you likely follow the draft. If you're a baseball fan, you likely follow who is on the trading block or is in your team's farm system. If you don't, you're a fairweather fan. Which is fine. But know that if you're a fairweather fan you'll look silly when you shout questions next year like "why can't our corners cover anyone???!!!!". Events like this carter flip would be the answer.

This was a major loss at a position of major need. Christian Harris was a loss at another position of need. It sucks. But, this is apart of the college football game. Let's see what Jimbo can do to counter it. You folks asking to be woken up when signing day is here.. go back to sleep.
JJxvi
AG
Interest in recruiting is far out of scale with NFL fans following the draft or the baseball trade deadline or whatever. There are many who are obviously invested in recruiting for recruitings sake. When we lose there will inevitably be posts about how it affects recruiting or when we win there will be excited posts about how many visitors saw it or whatever. That kind of **** is INSANE. Nobody watching other sports gets background crap mixed up in their enjoyment of the actual game. The games are the entire point of the whole enterprise. Nobody who is an MLB fan spends their days posting about how they need more attendance and a bigger TV contract and pays for access to up to date information on such things to let them know tgat next year they can sign more free agents all through the current season, which is closer to what recruitniks do.

Recruiting is a lagging indicator anyway. Teams who are already winning recruit better except under rare circumstances. Teams who win championships have their recruiting spikes afterwards not before, etc. its a waste of time to follow. Just watch the games.
Muy
AG
I stopped following the players recruitment a long time ago, and couldn't name you 2 players we have committed. Get signed and then i'll care, but until then I just look at the high level rankings and am fired up what Jimbo is doing, regardless of what 2 players did this week.
technoviking
AG
Of course the games matter. Winning them is the whole point of fandom. A large part of the reason for winning at a high level in the college game is recruiting the top talent in your state and/or nation. Take a look at Alabama. They win consistently because they recruit the top talent. They also target players from their competition specifically to weaken them. If you choose to ignore all of this because you're above it for some reason then that's fine. Ignorance is bliss.

Will you not care if we flip a player from another school?
JJxvi
AG
technoviking said:

Of course the games matter. Winning them is the whole point of fandom. A large part of the reason for winning at a high level in the college game is recruiting the top talent in your state and/or nation. Take a look at Alabama. They win consistently because they recruit the top talent. They also target players from their competition specifically to weaken them. If you choose to ignore all of this because you're above it for some reason then that's fine. Ignorance is bliss.

Will you not care if we flip a player from another school?

Id be happy but i wont care. I hope we recruit well in the same way that I hope the Astros have a good general manager. The reaction to losing a recruit though is almost like the same intense reaction if like Carlos Beltran decides to sign with the Mets in 2005 or whatever. Carlos Betlran was a superstar. This Carter kid is just above a nobody and a may never be anybody. And recruitniks have this type of "Beltran" reaction it seems multiple times a year much less Spreading them out several seasons or decades apart like a baseball fan would.
technoviking
AG
A good general manager does what Jeff Luhnow has done. A good recruiting coordinator does what Tim Brewster has done for years. College football doesn't have a free agent system like baseball. They're apples and oranges. Sometimes free agents don't pan out, correct? Carlos Lee was a doozy. These humans we call student-athletes or baseball players are commodities. They have been assigned values based on the respective games rules. Losing carter is a big deal because of his potential. If the Astros had traded away Bregman that would have been a big deal. Getting keuchel when he was down was a big deal. Now he's not so hot anymore, but, he could revamp is career again elsewhere. Likewise, when a young Westlake QB named Drew Brees suffered a leg injuryin high school he was passed up by the major Texas schools and Purdue reaped the benefit. A looked-over three star QB from Kerrville Tivy and a two star WR that played basketball mainly from Galveston ended up being really big deals for our university. A big time Hawaiian QB recruit that was lighting up QB camps a couple of years ago has done pretty darn well for himself for Bama. Recruiting is a big part of the game.

At the end of it all it's fine to not be "into recruiting". But don't you think it's a bit odd, when recruiting does play a big part of the college game, to get onto a thread about recruiting, on a website that has a big tab that says "Recruiting" that you can click on and find troves if information and interest, and say it's silly to get upset over it?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Getting upset about a college football game is dumb. But I do it everytime we play poorly.
runontexas
AG
getting mad at a 17/18 yr old over commitment

Synopsis
Coaching is more important than recruiting.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Synopsis said:

Be careful. I have maintained this position for a long time. I have even caught a ban for it. Twice.
. . .
Don't follow recruiting.
#pleaserespectmydecision
#nointerviews
Lateralus Ag
AG
. . . said:

Don't follow recruiting.
#pleaserespectmydecision
#nointerviews

Best username on Texags.
technoviking
AG
Synopsis said:

This is the truth. However, when two competent coaching staffs are on the same field, sometimes if not a lot of times, the team with the faster and stronger players will win.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Alabama is just unfair. Can Saban please take the Green Bay Packers job? Please? Or retire? Isn't there something else he wants to do in life after he gets his 7th natty a month from now (passing Bryant)?
Miles711
AG
If these kids would just make the life choices I want I could finally be happy!
Jlove1770
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Getting upset about a college football game is dumb. But I do it everytime we play poorly.

Amen to that! Happens to me every time. I tell myself that it won't get to me this time, but I be damned bc it does.
Bill Superman
AG

I just can't understand how the hell there is that much disparity between Saban and the rest of the coaching talent

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.