Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It's time to expand the playoff.

4,577 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TyperWoods
Ag22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every year, teams that could make an argument for why they should be in the playoff are left out and they're honestly right. An 8 seed playoff would ensure that we're crowning the true best team in the nation and give schools like UCF and OSU a shot at the title they so publicly claim they deserve. If the playoff were 8 teams this year the seeding would be:

1 Alabama vs 8 UCF
2 Clemson vs 7 Michigan
3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio State
4 Oklahoma vs 5 Georgia

This seeding adds just 1 more game to each team's schedule and allows teams to prove on the field who the best in the nation really is. Teams like Georgia and Ohio State who had one slip up in the season would get the shot that they deserve while teams like Alabama would still have a much easier path into the later rounds.

Here's how I think this seeding would play out:

Bama over UCF
Clemson over Michigan
Ohio State over ND
UGA over OU

Bama over UGA
Clemson over OSU

Bama still wins.
Toptierag2018
So literally the exact same championship match up we would have if the BCS was still in place?
Lateralus Ag
AG
So, other than the extra games that we don't currently have you admit we would end up with the same result.

Sounds good.
Toptierag2018 said:

So literally the exact same championship match up we would have if the BCS was still in place?
I agree. The BCS was a very good system. It would have Alabama playing Clemson this year. The CFP is just giving ND and OU an opportunity to see if they can upset the better team.

Noble Men
AG
Why create thread number 206 for this?
Amazing Moves
A group of 6 team should never be close to a playoff. Expanded or, not. They don't play a Power 5 schedule. Sure they can put it all together for one game but, not for 8 in conference. The Big 12 would put 3 losses at least on their schedule. The UCF hype is a joke.
Ag4coal
Because upsets never happen? I realize Alabama is heads and shoulders above the rest, but OSU showed years ago that in a normal year, anything can happen and just deciding which two teams gets a chance is idiotic.
chipotle
No it's not
88jrt06
AG
I support 8.
TheFirebird
AG
Ag4coal said:

Because upsets never happen? I realize Alabama is heads and shoulders above the rest, but OSU showed years ago that in a normal year, anything can happen and just deciding which two teams gets a chance is idiotic.
Why are upsets in the post season automatically more important than upsets in the regular season?

Bama, Clemson, ND, got there by avoiding upsets, OU by only taking one. Why do we need to give some team with lesser body of work the chance to knock them off?
greg.w.h
AG
Using the CFP rankings for seeding eight teams SOUNDS great, but expanding right now practically ensures three-loss champions with nothing interesting to show claiming a spot like in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament which includes A&M running the floor in the SWC to get in one year.

The top four in the CFP are ranked repeatedly by the committee with explanations. The P5 teams are picking up better competition as a result and frankly playing better football.

There is very little flawed with this system. I'd prefer more transparency but doing that could expose it to more means of direct pressure without doing a better job of developing more data to support good decisions.
wbt5845
AG
The CFP as it exists is perfect. Every undefeated team that plays big boy football is getting a shot. Those are the only teams that deserve a shot.
TheFirebird
AG
greg.w.h said:

Using the CFP rankings for seeding eight teams SOUNDS great, but expanding right now practically ensures three-loss champions with nothing interesting to show claiming a spot like in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament which includes A&M running the floor in the SWC to get in one year.

The top four in the CFP are ranked repeatedly by the committee with explanations. The P5 teams are picking up better competition as a result and frankly playing better football.

There is very little flawed with this system. I'd prefer more transparency but doing that could expose it to more means of direct pressure without doing a better job of developing more data to support good decisions.
By the way, for as much fun as March Madness is...since 2010 only twice has a non-number 1 seed won it all (both UCONN). And one time as a number two seed. So usually, you get the eventual NC in the top four.

March Madness works because basketball is different than football and you can play a bunch of games in a compressed time frame.
LEJ
I read just part of the op, bc I laughed out loud when I saw UCF at 8 and Michigan at 7. Neither of these teams deserves a chance at the title. They earned nothing. OSU and Georgia at 6 and 5... ok, I'm on board.

This is why I'm only a fan of expanding to 6 with first round byes for 1 and 2.
jsdaltxag
Because 5-8 already played themselves out of it. The four best are in.

Don't give me the UCF argument. Their best win was against Cincinnati and they barely won their conference.
Chickenhawk
That's a lot of words.
chipotle
GeorgiaAg85 said:

That's a lot of words.

Folks that come here and post their wishful playoff scenarios is a terrible waste of time. There's a fundamental difference of opinion on how a championship should earned and no amount of playoff config posts is going to convince none expansionists to agree with them. Quite making these types of posts people. Fetch is not going to happen.
Mort Rainey
Class of 65
AG
Nah do away with the play offs gives everyone something to talk about until the following August.
Chickenhawk
chipotle said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

That's a lot of words.

Folks that come here and post their wishful playoff scenarios is a terrible waste of time. There's a fundamental difference of opinion on how a championship should earned and no amount of playoff config posts is going to convince none expansionists to agree with them. Quite making these types of posts people. Fetch is not going to happen.

TXAGBQ76
AG
Nope, it is not time to expand the playoffs. There is a CFP contract in place for several more years that says four is the number. Soooo, all of this "it is time" time is pointless.
Drawkcab
8 is way too many. 6 is enough. 1 and 2 get bye weeks while 3-6 play for the chance to play 1 and 2.
BJC
AG
No matter the subdivision in NCAA Division I football, there should always be a premium on winning your conference championship to have a claim in the postseason; if you do not win your conference title, then the best you can do is hope and wait to be selected.

And we are still wondering why Division I-FCS conferences have been laughing at us in Division I-FBS for quite a long time. In 1978 they too started off as a four-team playoff and expanded as the years went by and they now have this format: each conference champion in Division I-FCS (except the Ivy League, SWAC, and MEAC whom abstains) has an automatic bid to the Division I-FCS playoff and its remaining at-large bids go to the highest-ranked remaining teams in the rankings via the Division I-FCS playoff committee. As the years go by we may eventually incorporate more of Division I-FCS elements at Division I-FBS (as we already did with overtime). If you keep the Division I-FBS CFP spots at four, why not just have New Year's Eight bowls?

Rose (Big Ten champ vs Pac-12 champ)
Fiesta (Mountain West champ vs at-large)
Cotton (Big XII champ vs at-large)
Sugar (SEC champ vs at-large)
Peach (American champ vs at-large)
Orange (ACC champ vs at-large)
Citrus (Conference USA champ vs MAC champ)
Sun (Sun Belt champ vs at-large)

Two of these NY8 bowls will rotate as Division I-FBS semifinal playoff bowls and each Division I-FBS conference champion gets an auto-bid to a NY8 bowl if not selected for the Division I-FBS playoff bowls and the remaining at-large NY8 bowl spots go to the highest-ranked remaining teams in the Division I-FBS CFP rankings rather than conference affiliation.

This way, it is earned rather than given and overall competition is better.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
Dad
AG
Half of the CFP champions were #4 seeds going into the playoff so lets not pretend that we know for a fact that Bama and Clemson are the two best teams and the ones that would make the final game.

I think Bama and Georgia are the two best teams and if we had an 8 team playoff they could seed it so that Georgia is #6 and you wouldn't have them meet Bama so soon and if that happened I think the final game would be #1 Bama vs #6 Georgia.
ashley
Who wants to see Michigan play again?
Thank goodness the committee knew Michigan lost in the quarterfinals.
Frag
AG
Iowaggie
AG
Amazing Moves said:

A group of 6 team should never be close to a playoff. Expanded or, not. They don't play a Power 5 schedule. Sure they can put it all together for one game but, not for 8 in conference. The Big 12 would put 3 losses at least on their schedule. The UCF hype is a joke.

I guess the counter hypothetical to this is that the AAC would have put multiple losses on OU. Hypothetical.

Additionally, Georgia and LSU and possibly A&M would have both run the B12 table. Certainly OU does not end up with just 1 loss in the SEC.

The AAC is closer to the B12 then the B12 is to the SEC and Big Ten.
Bone6
The love for single elimination tournaments in this country is caused by the same people who love the Big Bang Theory TV show.
isitjustme
AG
I'd rather just eliminate the playoffs and any version of BCS/playoffs and just go back to traditional bowl games. At least then the bowl games would mean something, and people can continue to argue about who is actually #1. Also, no more than 20 bowls.

None of the above will ever happen b/c way too much money attached to the current system.
Ag4coal
Bone6 said:

The love for single elimination tournaments in this country is caused by the same people who love the Big Bang Theory TV show.

What is wrong with having a clear winner? Isn't the point of sports winning? I genuinely cannot understand why people wouldn't want to see college football being played at the most competitive level possible.
LEJ
There are only 6 teams (at most) that deserve a shot at the title this year. I don't want to see a basketball type atmosphere in college FB.

LEJ
On second thought, How badass would it be if the system changed every year, based on the number of teams that the committee found to be worthy?

6 teams worthy this year? 6 team playoff

8 next year- 8 get in

Only 2 worthy teams - well, you get the picture

It would be so tragically beautiful
rootube
AG
TheFirebird said:

greg.w.h said:

By the way, for as much fun as March Madness is...since 2010 only twice has a non-number 1 seed won it all (both UCONN). And one time as a number two seed. So usually, you get the eventual NC in the top four.

March Madness works because basketball is different than football and you can play a bunch of games in a compressed time frame.
And yet somehow the NCAA basketball tournament is not lobbying to go to a four team playoff selected by a committee run concurrently with an expanded NIT tournament?

The NCAA tournament gave us the gift of the NCState team who had no business playing with Virginia and Ralph Samson let alone the win over the UofH who was probably the best team in NCAA history. That was the single greatest basketball game in history courtesy of the NCAA tourney. If you think Bama is dominant, do you think they have two of the best football players of all time NFL or College on their team right now?
rootube
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

chipotle said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

That's a lot of words.

We should bet. I think an expanded playoff is inevitable. I just wish it would get here sooner rather than later. This post is so "Fetch"!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Go with 6 teams.

Top 2 get a bye and next 4 play for the last 2 spots in the semifinals.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.