Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Nick

6,987 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by usmcbrooks
All_In_Ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roger Goodell
Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war.

-George S. Patton Jr.
mcag83
AG
Like anyone can even know that.
Ag4coal
AGS-R-TUFF
Our-turn-to-rule
NickEZ08
Thought this was going to be a thread about me
bowhuntr
I think he said that about VMI, Citadel, and Clemson too...
suprafly03
AG
bowhuntr said:

I think he said that about VMI, Citadel, and Clemson too...

Yeah can that fake news quote be put to bed yet?
aggie_fan13
AG
Yes ?
some men you just cant reach ...
neutics
AG
Roger Goodell said:

Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war.

-George S. Patton Jr.

Mike Province, however, isn't so sure that Patton ever uttered the words. As founder and president of The Patton Society, Province owns every General Patton book, magazine, movie, poster and voice recording in existence. He has penned three Patton books of his own, and he estimates that his collection of Patton memorabilia is the second largest in the world, only behind that of the Patton family themselves.

"I've gotten e-mails and questions regarding that quote for several years," Province said. "People will use it with Texas Aggies, The Citadel, Virginia Military Institute and even Clemson. All of these schools want to be linked to Patton."

Province has hunted specifically for the quotation for years, but has yet to uncover any evidence connecting it to Patton.

"I've even gone to the Library of Congress and looked through the Patton Papers when they were released in 1990," Province said. "I've yet to see that statement written down with any specific date or time."
oysterbayAG
AG
Didn't Patton say this to General Omar Bradley ? It may be in Bradley's Autobiography " A Soldiers Story "
usmcbrooks
Roger Goodell said:

-George S. Patton Jr.
July 8, 2009

Madam Speaker, Texas A&M University was founded in 1876 as a land grant college under the Morrill Act. The university began as an all male military school until after World War II. Aggies have been serving with honor in the armed forces since the Spanish American War of 1898. In fact, Texas A&M is the largest provider of military officers outside of the Nations service academies. General George S. Patton said, Give me an army of West Point graduates, and I'll win a battle Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win a war. During the Spanish American War, eighty-nine Aggies served in the Army, and sixty-three Aggies served as officers. When the United States became involved in World War I, 702 A&M graduates served in the military, and 668 graduates were officers. Texas A&M trained over 4000 troops during World War I. It was World War II, however, when Texas A&M exhibited its expertise in training soldiers as well as scholars. Twenty thousand Aggies served in World War II; fourteen thousand of these men were officers, and twenty-nine were generals. In order to speed up the process of sending more Aggies to the front lines of the war, Texas A&M instituted a twelve-month, three semester training program to prepare its soldiers. The entire graduating classes of 1941 and 1942 enlisted in the armed services immediately following graduation. Seven Congressional Medal of Honor winners during the second world war were graduates from Texas A&M. They included MAJ Horace S. Carswell, Jr., class of 1938; LT Thomas W. Fowler, class of 1943; LT Eli Whitely, class of 1941; SGT William Harrell, class of 1942; 2LT LloydHerbert Hughes, class of 1943; LT Turney W. Leonard, class of 1942; and SGT George D. Keathley, class of 1937. Six Aggies were survivors of the 131st Texas National Guard Field Artillery, best known as the Lost Battalion because it was three years before the fate of the men was known. They were captured on Java in 1942, and then transported to Burma, where they were forced to build the infamous Railway of Death depicted in the movie Bridge Over River Kwai. Membership in the Corp of Cadets is now voluntary at Texas A&M; however, the university continues its tradition of training men and women to serve their country through military service.
And that's just the way it is.

Choke on that Randolph!
cadetjay02
AG
A citation of who said this would be helpful considering it's dated 64 years after Patton died.
Showstopper
AG
neutics said:

Roger Goodell said:

-George S. Patton Jr.

Mike Province, however, isn't so sure that Patton ever uttered the words. As founder and president of The Patton Society, Province owns every General Patton book, magazine, movie, poster and voice recording in existence. He has penned three Patton books of his own, and he estimates that his collection of Patton memorabilia is the second largest in the world, only behind that of the Patton family themselves.

"I've gotten e-mails and questions regarding that quote for several years," Province said. "People will use it with Texas Aggies, The Citadel, Virginia Military Institute and even Clemson. All of these schools want to be linked to Patton."

Province has hunted specifically for the quotation for years, but has yet to uncover any evidence connecting it to Patton.

"I've even gone to the Library of Congress and looked through the Patton Papers when they were released in 1990," Province said. "I've yet to see that statement written down with any specific date or time."

Patton said it because he assumed we'd leave the nerds who researched quotes at home. If he had known we were bringing quote research nerds he'd have said "Screw it, I don't have all day to think about dumb s*** that doesn't matter. I'll stick with the West Pointers. Let's go."
swc93
AG
Can't find it on his twitter page
AggieDruggist89
AG
Check Instagram and Snapchat!
usmcbrooks
cadetjay02 said:

A citation of who said this would be helpful considering it's dated 64 years after Patton died.
https://poe.house.gov/2009/7/the-fighting-aggies-of-texas-a-m
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.