Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Players Skipping Bowl Games For NFL Draft

22,310 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cr0wbar
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up to 11 players skipping their bowl games so they are ready for the NFL draft and don't risk injury. (11 players as of me writing this, but it could increase)

Highest profile one is Will Grier. This is the first QB I can remember skipping.

Is this good or bad?

Edit:
Also of note, two of the 11 players are N.C. State players. (One LB and one WR)

This could potentially benefit us against them.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
They received a scholarship to play ! They should pay back when they choose to go pro !
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
It's bad.
Roger Goodell
I personally don't care. They have given their schools enough of their time and effort and put people in the stands. I don't blame them for not wanting to risk injury.

Ungrateful fans will say otherwise.
TexasRebel
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It's bad.

+1
HustlerAggie

Aggie
AG
In this day and age of all about me it will be widely accepted

But honest question... before all these players started sitting out , when was the last time a high profile draft pick was injured in a bowl game?

And if this is accepted.. what's next?
Sitting out entire seasons?
Aggie
AG
HustlerAggie said:

It absolutely benefits us
BMX Bandit
I don't think it's good or bad. It just is.

Coaches routinely leave teams before the bowl game. No one seems to care about that.

BMX Bandit
Quote:

before all these players started sitting out , when was the last time a high profile draft pick was injured in a bowl game?

Jaylon Smith
W
AG
whoa, Grier is sitting out?

that's great for Syracuse.

terrible for the Camping World Bowl, the Big 12, and the TV partner
HustlerAggie
Aggie said:

In this day and age of all about me it will be widely accepted

But honest question... before all these players started sitting out , when was the last time a high profile draft pick was injured in a bowl game?

And if this is accepted.. what's next?
Sitting out entire seasons?

I think if a player sat out an entire season or a major/playoff bowl game, it might backfire on them by being labeled as soft by NFL teams who want players with heart.
Roger Goodell
A lot of players come from absolutely nothing. Never had a nickel to their name. So what if they sit one game out ( especially some garbage bowl) before they move over to the NFL and Make money.

Think of Boobie Miles
HustlerAggie
W said:

whoa, Grier is sitting out?

that's great for Syracuse.

terrible for the Camping World Bowl, the Big 12, and the TV partner
Maybe the bowls can start paying high-profile seniors or non-returning juniors to make sure they keep the eyeballs on the games?
tk for tu juan
NFL starters don't play in meaningless games after their team secures a division or home field advantage. Why should it be any different for college players that want to reduce injury risk before the next big step?
W
AG
the guy at UH sat out half a season this year.

and Bosa at Ohio State kind of did the same thing
TexasRebel
AG
Why doesn't the entire starting t.u. roster sit out?

Easy excuse for the impending L.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

before all these players started sitting out , when was the last time a high profile draft pick was injured in a bowl game?

Jaylon Smith

Or Jake Butt
fredfredunderscorefred
Good on them. Their body. Their time. Their work. Their effort. Their potential. Not their fault they are in a system that makes millions (billions?) on their shoulder while they cant get paid. Selfish fans will be upset. The system might start implementing rules preventing it if it starts to hurt their bottom line
annie88
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It's bad.
This. Don't agree with it. Guess that's where we are in this me first era. No I in Team.
schmellba99
AG
I understand it. But I dont like it,
W
AG
uh, those fans paid for their scholarships
farmrag
There's no I in team. You play till the end with your brothers.
aggie813
Emilio Fantastico said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Jaylon Smith

Or Jake Butt

Didn't Willis McGahee blow his knee out against Notre Dame in the Orange bowl? I could be wrong.
TexasRebel
AG
I always hated that saying.

There is clearly a "me" in team. Even if it's backward and convoluted.
tk for tu juan
aggie813 said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Jaylon Smith

Or Jake Butt

Didn't Willis McGahee blow his knee out against Notre Dame in the Orange bowl? I could be wrong.

vs Ohio St
Ag_EE_88
AG
Soon high school kids will sit out as soon as they get an offer they want
HustlerAggie
aggie813 said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Jaylon Smith

Or Jake Butt

According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_McGahee
It was the 2003 Fiesta bowl against Ohio State
Quote:

In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safety Will Allen, bending his left knee backwards and causing tears of the ACL, PCL, and MCL. Prior to getting hurt, he had rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown, as Miami would lose the game in double-overtime, 3124. This injury required several surgeries and extensive rehabilitation before he would be able to play again. At the season's end, McGahee announced he would not collect on a $2.5 million insurance policy he had taken out before the Championship game, and therefore would enter the 2003 NFL Draft.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_McGahee#cite_note-9][9][/url]
BlueHouseBoyz
AG
Coincidence that one of the current 11 is named "Greedy"?
AGinHI
AG
If information is correct, there are currently 40 bowl games.

In 1990 there were 19.

I like the fcs model for playoffs/bowl games-eliminate everything else.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
ABATTBQ87
AG
On the flip side the benefit is that freshmen who did not play in any games can play in the bowl game without affecting their eligibility.
Threadbare
Roger Goodell said:

I personally don't care. They have given their schools enough of their time and effort and put people in the stands. I don't blame them for not wanting to risk injury.

You should substitue the word "consumers" for "fans".

It's not a question of gratitude. The only question that matters as far as the business of college football is concerned is "does this make the consumer more or less favorable towards our product?"

For me, having guys opt out of bowls makes me less interested, less likely to watch, and less likely to attend.

They don't owe it me to play; I don't owe it to anybody to watch.

So, maybe the NCAA can figure out a way to structure the system so that good players are incentivized to play. Or not.

Either way, it doesn't change the basic dynamics of the marketplace.
pete85
AG
Too many meaningless, trash bowls. There won't be any players sitting out a CFC or NY6 bowl game.
Ag4coal
I bet if you polled their teams, 100% of their teammates would have no problem with it. You've earned your money's now protect it.
AGinHI
AG
Threadbare said:

Roger Goodell said:

You should substitue the word "consumers" for "fans".

It's not a question of gratitude. The only question that matters as far as the business of college football is concerned is "does this make the consumer more or less favorable towards our product?"

For me, having guys opt out of bowls makes me less interested, less likely to watch, and less likely to attend.

They don't owe it me to play; I don't owe it to anybody to watch.

So, maybe the NCAA can figure out a way to structure the system so that good players are incentivized to play. Or not.

Either way, it doesn't change the basic dynamics of the marketplace.
Uhhh....me thinks that would be an expanded playoff, for which a model currently exists.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.