Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Purple Wizard set to retire?

10,259 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aero95
Dr Theopolis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've found that marriage eventually places the purple wizard into retirement.
. . .

Quote:

Source adds that buyout terms may have also played a role in Littrell and KState not getting a deal done. No secret Littrell would like opportunity to coach at Oklahoma down the road.
NoahAg
MookieBlaylock said:

Top 10 college coach of all time

Considering how bad that program was before he got there, no doubt. IMO he deserves as much credit/respect as Bobby Bowden and how he transformed FSU. I don't think people realize just how historically terrible K-State was before Snyder.

Some amazing facts:

-They had exactly one bowl appearance before Snyder (loss in 1982 Independence bowl).
-Snyder led them to 19 bowls (9 wins).
-Zero ranked seasons before Snyder.
-13 ranked seasons w/ Snyder.

K-State yearly results
yardwhisperer
AG
bradleyk said:

Venables will not get the job. Back in his days in college, he had a "relationship" with the daughter of one of the bigger donors. That donor has said he would not support the University if that occurred.
Rule 1
Aero95
AG
I bet Snyder is directing things behind the scenes and mandating that his son remain on staff. For years he's been insisting that his son be his successor, and rumors were that the son was effectively running the program already. IMO that's really bad because he's never coached anywhere else and likely doesn't have an extensive network of contacts to fill out a staff.

Littrell was likely the best they could hope for, and now they're setting themselves up for another Ron Prince and years wandering in the desert.
VikingNik
AG
That's what I've heard from KSU alums. Snyder seems to be trying to treat the KSU head coaching job as a family piggy bank. They shouldn't cater to these demands from a senile old man. If he is worried about his son I'm sure he can set up a nice inheritance with all the money he's earned.
W
AG
the funny thing with Synder...he's also had quite a few bad seasons at KState and/or middling .500 seasons.

he started the phenomenon of playing 3 or 4 utter garbage non-conference teams to pump up the W-L record. And way too many programs followed suit
NoahAg
W said:

the funny thing with Synder...he's also had quite a few bad seasons at KState and/or middling .500 seasons.

Not really. Those bad seasons have been few and far between. He had an absolute tear from 93-2003 where he won 9-11 games every year but one.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for- good chance kstate drops even farther than Nebraska in absense of Snyder.

This is very true, but what else can they do?

Snyder appears done. They can switch now while the program has enough talent to win 5-6 games a year. The risk is that Snyder rides them all the way down the mountain.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

he started the phenomenon of playing 3 or 4 utter garbage non-conference teams to pump up the W-L record. And way too many programs followed suit

I say that bowl-game expansion is the culprit. Snyder just played to the system.

The NCAA should require 7 wins against FBS programs for eligibility. That would get rid of the worst 10-15 bowls and make going to a bowl mean something.
Foxo
AG
For the 4 recruiting years 2015-2018, K State was ranked 54, 72, 61 and 65. During that period, they inked 78 players with at least 3 stars ---- zero 5 and 4 stars and 78 3 stars. Quite a job by Snyder to win as many as he did. Kansas had similar figures except for 3 four stars;.
bradleyk
Aero95 said:

I bet Snyder is directing things behind the scenes and mandating that his son remain on staff. For years he's been insisting that his son be his successor, and rumors were that the son was effectively running the program already. IMO that's really bad because he's never coached anywhere else and likely doesn't have an extensive network of contacts to fill out a staff.

Littrell was likely the best they could hope for, and now they're setting themselves up for another Ron Prince and years wandering in the desert.

Sean doesn't want the job right now even if Bill was pushing for it. Before Matt died, he was all over wanting the job, but right now Sean is grieving and he knows having the HBC job would not be good roght now.
agdaddy04
AG
. . . said:

Is he the last NCAA FBS coach with a tie on his record to retire?
bradleyk
Doesn't Saban have a tie?
bradleyk
Saban and Brian Kelly both have ties.
bradleyk
Reading back... what is Rule 1? Am I really that old and not know what this means? Is this a Millennial thing?
SidetrackAg
AG
bradleyk said:

Reading back... what is Rule 1? Am I really that old and not know what this means? Is this a Millennial thing?

If you mention a female you must post pic of said female
bradleyk
Did not expect Klieman to take that job. I thought they might just give in to Littrell as time progressed. I personally think this might put Gene on the hot seat if something doesn't happen real quick up there, when your neighboring school just hired Les Miles. This will be interesting to watch.
bradleyk
And, I don't know how to post pictures on here. It isn't hard to see which Vanier it is though if you search.
Aero95
AG
bradleyk said:

Did not expect Klieman to take that job. I thought they might just give in to Littrell as time progressed. I personally think this might put Gene on the hot seat if something doesn't happen real quick up there, when your neighboring school just hired Les Miles. This will be interesting to watch.

Agreed. I bet they end up regretting passing over Littrell eventually. I don't know anything about Klieman but I can't imagine it takes much to get someone to move OUT of North Dakota. :P NDSU has played in Manhattan in the past and apparently left an impression...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.