Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dallas News just can't resist

15,631 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WtHrOoOlPl
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, they can't help themselves - negative Aggie stories are like an addiction. Sheesh.

Don't give them clicks but here's the link:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/11/13/many-fans-actually-show-texas-ams-football-games-kyle-field

Quote:

Anybody who regularly watches college football knows that when it comes to attendance figures, a discrepancy often exists between what is seen and what is announced.

Even at a place like Texas A&M, home of historic Kyle Field and the 12th Man, that holds true. Since the start of the 2017 football season and the first four home games of 2018, scanned tickets have accounted for 72.8 percent of the announced attendance, according to figures obtained through an open records request.

Quote:

Per an A&M spokesperson, the official attendance number represents the amount of tickets sold, a common practice at the college level.
Despite the large difference, A&M led the eight in-state Football Bowl Subdivision in scanned ticket percentage last season, according to a 2018 survey conducted by The Wall Street Journal.
North Texas was second at 69.6 percent while Houston was third at 65.9 percent. UTEP was last at 46.5 percent. Texas was not represented.

Quote:

The biggest disparity came last year, when the Aggies hosted Louisiana-Lafayette for an 11 a.m. kickoff. While Kyle Field had a paid attendance of 98,412, only 63,089 tickets were scanned (64.1 percent).

If it's such a common practice, why call us out?
Reno Hightower
It's the DMN!
FarmersFight95
AG
Thanks for posting the content so that we don't have to click on that trash site and drive their stats up.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Nobody click!
Flashdiaz
AG
Because it gets clicks.

That being said... avoid anything DMN related and your life will be better.
cevans_40
AG
Lol. This practice is so bad and these guys are actually the best but man it's terrible. And they wonder why they can't sell subscriptions?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
How is it negative towards us when it states that we lead all Texas schools in attendance percentage? It even claims Texas didn't participate.

I've been to a few games at DKR and attendance numbers are terribly misrepresented compared to the butts in the seats. Which is my assumption why their numbers aren't represented.
LeagueCityAg
AG
hph6203
AG
Butthurt is nothing to aspire to. This isn't worth getting butthurt over.
All_In_Ags
F the Dallas news.
YankAg13
AG
A open records request, Texas (a public school) didn't participate... how exactly does that work?
Meximan
YankAg13 said:

A open records request, Texas (a public school) didn't participate... how exactly does that work?

APHIS AG
Flashdiaz said:

Because it gets clicks.

That being said... avoid anything DMN related and your life will be better.
This. They know that Aggies will click it and so will sips.
C Loves L
hph6203 said:

Butthurt is nothing to aspire to. This isn't worth getting butthurt over.

Most of the ones with anal pain in this thread are Houstonians.
Kentatm
schwack schwack said:

If it's such a common practice, why call us out?
Is it really a call out when they say we lead the state in percentage of scanned tickets compared to announced attendance?

Be honest, you're just mad that our actual butts in seats attendance numbers are worse than the estimates even the most ardent "the stadium was overbuilt" pot bangers have been guessing.
Artimus Gordon
B F D!

What is this? A redirect of attention from T tommies' "massage parlor asian banging Wife cheating" activities?

You can throw out the core values as a recruiting tool. Nobody believes that anymore! Well unless respecting women would be like leaving a couple of hundred on the night stand as you sneak out the door!
TwoTimeAg
AG
YankAg13 said:

If you don't file a Open Records Request for a particular school, then that school likely is not going to provide such information...
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Be honest, you're just mad

Nope. Just pointing out (again) how the Dallas paper lives to find even the smallest morsel of truth to show us is a negative light. At this point it's humorous to me, not maddening. According to them, its a common practice & we still top the list in percentages of attendance but they still make that a negative. And their darling whorns didin't participate which probably means they did not request their numbers with the open records inquiry because.....?

I only read the online version because it is my hometown paper, so sort of necessary for local stuff. I normally skip the sports section all together because 1) I am not a Cowboys fan & 2) they rarely have anything about A&M worth reading. I saw this because it was on the main page & thought it was an odd topic to go after us on.

gopitt
For those with no reading comprehension it was a positive article that states that A&M LEADS the state in scanned ticket percentage and that the only school not represented was Texas. Ben Baby gives the Ags a LOT of coverage, the majority positive.
Whiners.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Big deal.

So, Aggies buy a whole bunch of football tickets but less than 30% find something else to do on Saturdays -- a rate which is better than all other in-state schools covered. I get it, they didn't request/report sip records, but the angst over this is a bigger waste of time than the actual article.

There's nothing new here, it is a rip-off of the WSJ article from earlier this year. Anyone who doesn't know this happens has never been to a sporting event requiring paid admission.
30wedge
Hard to imagine that so many colleges, institutions of higher learning, do not know what the word "attendance" means. Either announce ticket sales or announce butts in the stadium, or both. Just don't say one thing and provide another like it seems most do.
LatinAggie1997
AG
YankAg13 said:

I thought we left the state?? Guess they office out of Broward County..
frogagg
But, But where is the coverage on Herman/smith activity??
theeyetest
All I wanna know is why are people paying for **** and not showing up? I'll take their paid for tickets in a heart beat!
Lateralus Ag
AG
What this actually shows is that a little less than 30% of us have some disposable income that we spend on tickets.
RGLAG85
AG
Not even close to accurate. I haven't had a ticket scanned in my last 5 games. The actual number is somewhere between the two.
AustinAg2K
Is there a sport on any level that doesn't count tickets sold as their attendance? I know all the major league sports do it, and I'm pretty sure every college does it.

Also, I question their numbers if they say only 87K were at Clemson.
smokeythebear
AG
gopitt said:

For those with no reading comprehension it was a positive article that states that A&M LEADS the state in scanned ticket percentage and that the only school not represented was Texas. Ben Baby gives the Ags a LOT of coverage, the majority positive.
Whiners.
You're wrong.

It is a negative article written about College Football attendance and it is using A&M as an example to tear the tallest down while conveniently excluding information on the biggest perpetrators of the ruse, Texas.

The article should be about BOTH flagship universities and comparing the data side-by-side, but Ben Baby consistently looks for pot-shots to take at A&M so this doesn't come as a shock at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had this waiting in a queue and pulled the trigger on it now to distract readers from the Herman/Smith debacle going on. It is garbage journalism and it should be treated as such.
West Point Aggie
AG
Little cup of water somehow spun into a cat 5 hurricane...impressive
rosstradamas70
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

YankAg13 said:

If you don't file a Open Records Request for a particular school, then that school likely is not going to provide such information...
and if you don't file it for t u then you have zero responsibility to publish their lying numbers
ross skillman 70
12mn95
AG
I would like to see how many tickets are actually scanned per game. We always have that discussion about how many people actually showed up. I know some had this past weekend's game at 80000 while others claimed it was closer to 9200-95000.
Reno Hightower
I'll bid $1.
Oscar Diggs
AG
Quote:

A&M's game against No. 2 Clemson earlier this year featured the highest actual live attendance.According to the university, 87,765 tickets were scanned for the first "power five" game of coach Jimbo Fisher's tenure. The announced crowd of 104,794 was also the largest since the start of the 2017 season.

For those who attended the Clemson game, did it look like there were 17,000 empty seats?
12mn95
AG
Oscar Diggs said:

Quote:

A&M's game against No. 2 Clemson earlier this year featured the highest actual live attendance.According to the university, 87,765 tickets were scanned for the first "power five" game of coach Jimbo Fisher's tenure. The announced crowd of 104,794 was also the largest since the start of the 2017 season.

For those who attended the Clemson game, did it look like there were 17,000 empty seats?
Honest question here, how are people getting in and not getting their ticket scanned?
W
AG
yes, something is not adding up. Don't think there were 17k empties for Clemson.

as an aisde...the switch from Flash to Stubhub probably didn't help the numbers this season
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.