Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

College football vs NFL

6,637 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by W
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PatAg said:

For those of you saying college, did you grow up in an area that had a NFL team?

Yes. Lifelong Dallas fan from Fort Worth. The Cowboys stick with me, but Ags >>>>> Cowboys.
94chem
PatAg said:

For those of you saying college, did you grow up in an area that had a NFL team?

Most educated people in Boston are from somewhere else, it seems. Most Bostonians who get educated seem to leave. Most of the NFL appeal is to the working class. Boston just seems like a blue collar pro sports town.

I wonder if fantasy football is the main thing that keeps the NFL so big.
bero88
Both.

I enjoy the differences in the game. They contrast in styles and both are incredibly intense each week. One of my pet peeves is people claiming they only like to watch 1 sport or someone who only watches the NBA. I am a sports guy. I enjoy almost all sports. Why can't you just like the sport for what it is? Is it perfect? No, but it's still athletes competing at the highest level. You can say professional athletes are overpaid, but in college you have kids transferring all the time, in high school you have kids that don't know how to act all the time. Just enjoy the sport for what it is.
mjhhawk
I prefer college but enjoy both. College games are much more unpredictable to me. NFL games feel formulaic, even the upsets. Like there are 4 or 5 different scripts a game can follow and you can tell which outcome is coming.
HunterAggie
College football over NFL.

Especially SEC football (and long before A&M joined the conference).

It isn't even close for me any more.

Krazykat
AG
College. Quit watching the National Felon League about 4 years ago.
HECUBUS
AG
Big TV money corruption has ruined both. Even high school football is all about out cheating the rival.

Mama was right, Foosball is the devil.
EVA3
AG
PlanetAggie said:

And, in the NFL, you can lose 5 games (or more) and still find your way into the playoffs, or even win a Super Bowl. Impossible in college.

Remember this when they start talking about expanding the College Football Playoff to 8, 16, 32 teams.

If college football becomes what college basketball has become, where only the playoffs matter, it's dead.
cecil77
AG
Grew up with a dad who was All Valley for the Mission Eagles in 1942. Along with Tommy Landry. So yeah, I grew up a Cowboys fan. Haven't watched an entire Cowboys game since Jerry bought the team. I was already on the way out in 1983 during the players strike. I was struggling to start a business and guys my age were carrying picket signs while making a million per year. Just quit caring then.

And to be honest I'm almost there with college ball, which has become NFL-lite.
OrygunAg
AG
When I was young I would spend sundays watching the niners and Joe montana with my grandpa and later going to the dome on sundays to watch the Oilers. Since then it's been college. I rarely watch NFL anymore...even the super bowl.
arontc09
AG
I think you'll find that Aggies are far more invested in college football than the NFL because they are so tied to the university. And the football program is the front porch for the university. Many of us were at every game for a four (or five, or more) year period. Very few of us will have spent that much time in any NFL stadium, much less spent tens of thousands becoming a part of the family. You see that, to some extent, with packers fans who buy a piece of their team, but no other fan base in the NFL comes close.
WC94
AG
Fantasy Football was created to keep people interested during the NFL regular season. College football has epic rivalries every Saturday to keep people interested during the regular season.
viejo
Since I stopped watching the NFL when Kaepernick started his nonsense, it's an easy answer.

That said, before I stopped watching the NFL I liked college football better.
FtBendTxAg
AG
NFL until the ncaa modifies the targetting penalty, it ruined the game. At least the NFL agreed to meet about the roughing the passer penalties this year. The NCAA would never do anything like that. And the NCAA overtime is an absolute joke and travesty to football

But, there is zero doubt I have enjoyed the pageantry and camaraderie that college football brings us way more in my lifetime. I'm just tired of the actual ncaa
fistofsouth
College by far.

Remember when Mann forced a fumble last weekend? In almost four decades of watching the NFL I have rarely seen the punter make a good tackle, much less force a turnover. Wheels off stuff like that happens in every college game, but in the NFL players are too disciplined and professional to allow things like that. Thus I enjoy CFB MUCH more.
beerad12man
AG
I have found that in general, those that went to a major university with a solid football program enjoy college football better. Those that didn't go to college or went somewhere like Texas State enjoy the NFL better. Of course this isn't 100%, just in general it seems to be that way.

I mean, it makes sense. Why would anyone care more about the NFL over their own University?
beerad12man
AG
Drum5343 said:

PlanetAggie said:

JCRiley09 said:

I have zero emotional connection to any NFL teams. So much so that it's hard to relate to people who are hardcore fans.
Hardcore NFL Fans = their city is their identity.

Hardcore College Fans = The College they chose is who they are.
This is true to an extent...

But I still enjoy watching random college teams much more than I enjoy watching random pro teams. I would rather watch two college teams I have no connection to than two pro teams I have no connection to.
Yes, but imho it still stems from the fact that college pride means more to you than city pride.
BombayAg
College.

I went to Texas A&M and no one can take that from me. That will never change. I live in this city that has an NFL team but I may move some day and "my local NFL team" could be different. I don't have the same loyalty. Things may be different if I had grown up in this city.
KidDoc
AG
Overall I enjoy college more day-to-day but the limited playoff system stinks and the cupcake games are generally awful. There is also no parity in college ball. It is very very difficult to destroy dynasty times as they have good recruiting year after year.

NFL has a better playoff structure and has built in parity due to salary caps & draft position based on prior year rankings. This makes it easier to break dynasty teams.

College just has so much more passion for me personally. I enjoy NFL for what it is but still get much more emotionally and financially invested in college ball.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know about others but my pro loyalty does not change depending on where I live.

I grew up in South Texas as a Cowboys fan. (As do most children from there.)

When I moved to New York, I didn't become a Giants/Jets fan. In fact I continued to hate the Giants as any Cowboys fan should. (Though I did attend a great Giants vs Eagles game. Wore Cowboys gear of course.)

Similarly, having moved to Florida, I sure as hell am not about to root for the Dolphins or Bucs.

So pro is like college for me, in that sense. My loyalties will always lie with the Cowboys, Spurs, etc.
Krautag81
College football most definitely.
rosstradamas70
AG
college!
likely to view three or four college games on replay weekly
have not watched more than one pro game in a week in years until the conference title games
ross skillman 70
Geriatric Punk
AG
NFL is for people who didn't go to a college where football was popular (or just plain didn't Go to college).
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Faustus
NM.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know about others but my pro loyalty does not change depending on where I live.

I grew up in South Texas as a Cowboys fan. (As do most children from there.)

When I moved to New York, I didn't become a Giants/Jets fan. In fact I continued to hate the Giants as any Cowboys fan should. (Though I did attend a great Giants vs Eagles game. Wore Cowboys gear of course.)

Similarly, having moved to Florida, I sure as hell am not about to root for the Dolphins or Bucs.

So pro is like college for me, in that sense. My loyalties will always lie with the Cowboys, Spurs, etc.
But, if the Cowboys lose does that compare to how you feel after the Aggies lose?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
TXAG 05
AG
I prefer college football to NFL, but prefer the NBA to college basketball, which is almost unwatchable to me, even the tournament.
Pumpkinhead
AG
WC94 said:

Fantasy Football was created to keep people interested during the NFL regular season. College football has epic rivalries every Saturday to keep people interested during the regular season.

Yeah, I think Fantasy Football leagues do play a big role in the NFL interest.

There are some NFL games that feel like a college game, the Pats-Chiefs game last Sunday night was wild and pretty exciting, but generally NFL games feel more methodical with less of the wild swings in emotion.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I prefer college football to NFL, but prefer the NBA to college basketball, which is almost unwatchable to me, even the tournament.

Love Aggie basketball but agree the quality of the basketball played in college is such a huge drop off than watching NBA talent, I have never quite understood folks who say they love college basketball but not NBA.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My emotions swing a lot higher/lower when Aggies win/lose.

Again, I definitely get more into CFB than NFL.

But, just saying that the loyalty is similar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Absolutely agree. NBA all day.
rbcs_2
AG
I can't say I prefer to watch one over the other in general terms. There are scenarios where I would choose one over the other but I just like to watch football when I get the chance.
W
AG
definitely college football.

and the #1 reason...every team has new players after 4 years (except the Shipley brothers).

you don't have to face a rival QB or great player for 20 seasons.

imagine being a Jets, Dolphins, or Bills fan...faced Brady 35 or so times...and probably have another 5 or 6 meetings to go
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.