Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Wrecking Crew

7,828 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chesapeake Ag
jrbaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think it is an insult to those guys who are the WC Alum every time we have a half ass defensive showing and all these people that never experienced the real Wrecking Crew start declaring the WC is back. If we ever reach that point I believe some of the WC Veterans will announce the return. After all, I think it is their call!!
ontheway
AG
Crew2. It is impossible to compare today's defense's to those days, except maybe for a couple of markers. I agree with the poster to let the players today and those to come build their own history or be a part of the old tradition by being part of awesome defense's. Or, if this D holds the numbers they have built so far for the remainder of the year then give them the WC icon too. Why not?
ontheway
thehit44
1991 Defense Starters (Draftees)

DE Sam Adams 1994 Rd 1
NG Mark Wheeler 1992 Rd 3
DE Eric England 1994 Rd 3

OLB Otis Neely
MLB Quentin Coryatt 1992 Rd 1
MLB Jason Atkinson
OLB Marcus Buckley 1993 Rd 3

CB Kevin Smith 1992 Rd 1
SS Patrick Bates 1993 Rd 1
FS Chris Croom 1992 Rd 5
CB Derrick Frazier 1993 Rd 3

RESERVES
DE Lance Teichelman 1994 Rd 7
CB Kary Vincent 1992 Rd 6

I never really followed football until I got to A&M. What an introduction! I walked in Fall 1990 and left Fall 1995...5 years and few losses, only 1 1995 home loss to TU.... It was the best of times!

We are getting there again. Jimbo is bringing in the Jimmies and the Joes. Soon, very soon....
coupland boy
AG
I agree. We should start throwing WC gang signs during games.
OrygunAg
AG
The offense is driving the turnaround with ball control along with very good d front. Jimbo wont philosophically change that. Sure the secondary is abysmal and will get torched but I'll assume the stats will stay about the same, all things considered, through this last stretch.
Meximan
hunter2012 said:

Mr. Black said:

I'm all for the enthusiasm about this year's defense, but there's still a ways to go before they're performing at a true Wrecking Crew level. The DBs on this team are still figuring some things out, but they're improving.

Ah yes, the Wrecking Crew I got to grow up hearing about. A defense that caused OCs to piss themselves every drive and every play ended in a pick 6 or sack fumble. The mythical unit that is so romanticized by our fanbase that it never actually existed. Or did RC really strike down opposing coaches with thunderbolts from his ass?

In the modern era of HUNH, I say that we're on the verge of a Wrecking Crew era if we can only shore up the secondary. We have stonewalled every team trying to run on us including some of the best running teams in all of college football. The only reason we're not pitching shutouts and single digit scores is because of the secondary.

When Aggie defenders hit guys so hard their ribs broke in the shape of a facemask, that was true intimidation. When teams ran their mouths the Crew made them regret; need I say anything about BYU and the Holiday Bowl Massacre?

Need I bring up The Hit?

Need I roll off a list of the players laid out on stretchers during games against the Crew?

It wasn't about stats, it was about a defense so ruthless it made the '85 Bears look tame. The lauded Blackshirts nor the '70s Steelers ever had that kind of intimidation about them. And teams who laughed at it, regretted it afterward.

It was about punching a guy in the mouth til he bled, then hitting him again for getting blood on your uniform.

There may never again be a Crew so merciless. So yes, we will wax poetic about the most feared defense of all time, at any level.
30wedge
The guy, and likely others defensive coaches, deserve a decent raise for what has been accomplished in less than a year.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Not sure where that 2nd in 3rd Down defense stat comes from. The other day I saw our percentage is below the nation's average.
NinetyTwo
The Hit was Coryatt not Buckley.
yell_on_6th st
AG
NinetyTwo said:

The Hit was Coryatt not Buckley.

Don't screw up the joke
joeagg321
AG
aeon-ag
Aggies2009 said:

Mr. Black said:

I'm all for the enthusiasm about this year's defense, but there's still a ways to go before they're performing at a true Wrecking Crew level. The DBs on this team are still figuring some things out, but they're improving.

No team will be the original Wrecking Crew. The original Wrecking Crew players would've missed most of their seasons out because of suspensions do to targeting and roughness under these rules.

The Hit? Yeah, Buckley would've never been allowed to play another down of football nowadays.
True, these players are no where close to WC caliber, I witnesses every home game when the WC was playing, as I said, no where close!
mshipp88
LSUs secondary is the closest thing to a consistent Wrecking Crew secondary over the last decade in my opinion. Not always statistically, but they've always had the grit and skill to make themselves a force against the best teams in the country. Even as the Wrecking Crew waned in the mid 90's there were still games against Nebraska or what have you where you could feel them coming on and changing the game with willpower. Good times.
AvidAggie
AG
We were 37th in 3rd down defense last year!?
schmellba99
AG
Ag_EE said:

Opponents averaged 44.5% completion for 136.4 yds/game passing and rushed on average 2.4 yds/att and 86 yds/game against the 1991 squad.

Compared to this year's squad, through seven games, opponents are averaging 58% completion rate for 242 yds/game and 3.1 yds/att and 78 yds/game.

Rushing defense is comparable to the 1991 squad, but with today's more sophisticated passing attacks, it may be some time before we see numbers like those back then...

You will NEVER see passing numbers like that again. Offense has changed, and the rules have changed to favor offense.

The only time we'll ever see that low of passing numbers in a game is if we play Navy and Ga. Tech.
Aggies2009
AG
AvidAggie said:

Yeah. We just never faced many third downs. Most opponents got first downs on first or second.
West Point Aggie
AG
Aggies2009 said:

AvidAggie said:

Yeah. We just never faced many third downs. Most opponents got first downs on first or second.

I've found myself laughing at many posts today and they happen to be yours...clever responses
hunter2012
AG
Meximan said:

hunter2012 said:

Mr. Black said:

Ah yes, the Wrecking Crew I got to grow up hearing about. A defense that caused OCs to piss themselves every drive and every play ended in a pick 6 or sack fumble. The mythical unit that is so romanticized by our fanbase that it never actually existed. Or did RC really strike down opposing coaches with thunderbolts from his ass?

In the modern era of HUNH, I say that we're on the verge of a Wrecking Crew era if we can only shore up the secondary. We have stonewalled every team trying to run on us including some of the best running teams in all of college football. The only reason we're not pitching shutouts and single digit scores is because of the secondary.

When Aggie defenders hit guys so hard their ribs broke in the shape of a facemask, that was true intimidation. When teams ran their mouths the Crew made them regret; need I say anything about BYU and the Holiday Bowl Massacre?

Need I bring up The Hit?

Need I roll off a list of the players laid out on stretchers during games against the Crew?

It wasn't about stats, it was about a defense so ruthless it made the '85 Bears look tame. The lauded Blackshirts nor the '70s Steelers ever had that kind of intimidation about them. And teams who laughed at it, regretted it afterward.

It was about punching a guy in the mouth til he bled, then hitting him again for getting blood on your uniform.

There may never again be a Crew so merciless. So yes, we will wax poetic about the most feared defense of all time, at any level.

Way to escalate the hyperbole, that's a lot more creative than I could lazily come up with.

Nevermind that we demand that our defense play perfect defense to even consider deserving the moniker. We'll gloss over the fact that their standard is a team that gave up 35 to Tulsa and 21 to Rice. The current defense clearly cannot even hold a candle to such a team.
Aggies2009
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Aggies2009 said:

AvidAggie said:

I've found myself laughing at many posts today and they happen to be yours...clever responses

Glad to help.
TX_Aggie37
AG
The Wrecking Crew will never be back. Evolved offensive schemes and a new game (penalties) have prevented anybody from having a Wrecking Crew defense ever again. Points will be scored.
Chesapeake Ag
Aggies2009 said:

Mr. Black said:

No team will be the original Wrecking Crew. The original Wrecking Crew players would've missed most of their seasons out because of suspensions do to targeting and roughness under these rules.

The Hit? Yeah, Buckley would've never been allowed to play another down of football nowadays.
A lot of other rules have changed to favor the passing game too, so we'll never see that exact style of defense again.

But there's no doubt guys like Kevin Smith, Aaron Glenn, and Ray Mickens in the backfield would excel in any era.

Our DBs are still young so there's still room for them to develop. The main thing we seem to be missing is guys with blazing speed who could still play with physicality, but they're rare.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.