Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Wrecking Crew

7,827 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chesapeake Ag
All_In_Ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr. Black
I'm all for the enthusiasm about this year's defense, but there's still a ways to go before they're performing at a true Wrecking Crew level. The DBs on this team are still figuring some things out, but they're improving.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Gotta create more turnovers before these guys get into the true WC conversation. But...MUCH improved over years past!

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
HoustonAg2106
AG
Only 4 turnovers on the year, but our 3rd defense definitely makes up for that
Aggies2009
AG
Mr. Black said:

I'm all for the enthusiasm about this year's defense, but there's still a ways to go before they're performing at a true Wrecking Crew level. The DBs on this team are still figuring some things out, but they're improving.

No team will be the original Wrecking Crew. The original Wrecking Crew players would've missed most of their seasons out because of suspensions do to targeting and roughness under these rules.

The Hit? Yeah, Buckley would've never been allowed to play another down of football nowadays.
Mr. Black
Aggies2009 said:

Mr. Black said:

No team will be the original Wrecking Crew. The original Wrecking Crew players would've missed most of their seasons out because of suspensions do to targeting and roughness under these rules.
I agree with you there. There's no question that the playing style Aggie defenders possessed during the 80s and 90s would have to change significantly in light of certain rule changes like targeting. That said, one of the major components of those great defenses was consistently excellent DB play and that's where this current defense still needs the most improvement. I do believe that Coach Fisher and his staff will get that issue (and the OL) squared away via coaching/recruiting.
JR_83
Grammar police - be a part of it, not be apart of it
Sniffing Accountant
AG
"a part" not "apart"
MouthBQ98
AG
State your goals. Then make a plan to reach them. Evaluate your progress regularly.

I'd say the team is well on its way. It may never be like it used to be because football isn't what it used to be, but it can be great again in its own right.
DallasAg 94
The role of the Defense is to get the ball back for the Offense, without points scored.

A 3-and-Out is much more effective, than allowing a team to drive the ball down the field 50 yards and then having a turnover.

2nd in 3rd Down limits the number of offensive plays, reducing the necessity to get turnovers.

32nd in Scoring Defense and 21st in Total Defense are certainly areas that need to improve... and they will.

DB play needs some improvement and will, once these "targeting" calls allow our DBs to stay in the game.

hunter2012
AG
Mr. Black said:

Ah yes, the Wrecking Crew I got to grow up hearing about. A defense that caused OCs to piss themselves every drive and every play ended in a pick 6 or sack fumble. The mythical unit that is so romanticized by our fanbase that it never actually existed. Or did RC really strike down opposing coaches with thunderbolts from his ass?

In the modern era of HUNH, I say that we're on the verge of a Wrecking Crew era if we can only shore up the secondary. We have stonewalled every team trying to run on us including some of the best running teams in all of college football. The only reason we're not pitching shutouts and single digit scores is because of the secondary.
AGinHI
AG
All_In_Ags said:

Been along time since we've had stats like these.

Be happy people.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Dread Pirate Roberts
He knows its not Wrecking Crew level, but this is how he's sending out his resume to every AD in the country and he wants it to look great.
hunter2012
AG
Dread Pirate Roberts said:

He knows its not Wrecking Crew level, but this is how he's sending out his resume to every AD in the country and he wants it to look great.

Stick around a few years and he'll land at an elite program(possibly Auburn?)
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I really wonder if the lack of turnovers is because of the stressing of ACTUAL TACKLING. Which in my mind is a good thing.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Triple his salary now and make him the HC in waiting!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Just hope we can keep him away from the head coaching ranks one more year. Next year sure looks promising for us overall.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

Quote:

The Hit? Yeah, Buckley would've never been allowed to play another down of football nowadays

I see what you did there.
Aggies2009
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Quote:

The Hit? Yeah, Buckley would've never been allowed to play another down of football nowadays

I see what you did there.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Mr. Black
hunter2012 said:

Ah yes, the Wrecking Crew I got to grow up hearing about. A defense that caused OCs to piss themselves every drive and every play ended in a pick 6 or sack fumble. The mythical unit that is so romanticized by our fanbase that it never actually existed. Or did RC really strike down opposing coaches with thunderbolts from his ass?
While there weren't any actual thunderbolts involved, those hellacious defenses actually existed and they were truly a sight to behold! Coach Slocum and Coach Davie were sensational architects of those units and many of the players involved were truly remarkable defenders (Roper, Wallace, Coryatt, Adams, Bates, Glenn, Mickens, et al.). The 1991 defense was particularly outstanding.
hunter2012 said:

In the modern era of HUNH, I say that we're on the verge of a Wrecking Crew era if we can only shore up the secondary. We have stonewalled every team trying to run on us including some of the best running teams in all of college football. The only reason we're not pitching shutouts and single digit scores is because of the secondary.
I won't quibble with you too much there. As I stated above, DBs are the real area of concern for the current defense, but they're improving and the necessary talent is inbound.
hunter2012
AG
That '91 defense gave up 35 points to Tulsa and 21 points to Rice, doesn't sound like the legends to me...
Mr. Black
hunter2012 said:

That '91 defense gave up 35 points to Tulsa and 21 points to Rice, doesn't sound like the legends to me...
That unit finished the year number one in the nation in total defense.
Luke The Drifter
AG
hunter2012 said:

1991 was possibly Tulsa's best team in school history. They went 10-2 losing only to Kansas (who wasn't terrible) and to Miami (who went 12-0 on the year). Tulsa also beat Oklahoma State and Louisville that season and beat San Diego State in a bowl. This was back when only 30 or so teams went to bowl games...not the 78 teams (or whatever it is) that go bowling today. Plus, I think 2 of Tulsa's TDs were of the pick-6 or scoop-and-score variety. As I recall, the defense played awesome that day, but the offense shot the team in the foot for most of the game.

Giving up 21 points to Rice isn't that bad...it happens. Especially when you only give up 18 to Houston, 14 each to Tech and Texas, 12 to Baylor, 10 to Florida State and single digit points to everyone else.

154 points allowed in 12 games...that's only 12.8 points per game...which is phenomenal, even back when the ants-in-the-pants style of offense wasn't popular like it is today.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Ag_EE
AG
Opponents averaged 44.5% completion for 136.4 yds/game passing and rushed on average 2.4 yds/att and 86 yds/game against the 1991 squad.

Compared to this year's squad, through seven games, opponents are averaging 58% completion rate for 242 yds/game and 3.1 yds/att and 78 yds/game.

Rushing defense is comparable to the 1991 squad, but with today's more sophisticated passing attacks, it may be some time before we see numbers like those back then...
RG20
I just don't understand why we can't have our Defense be the Wrecking Crew every year. I understand that those years were great and that group was amazing but I think a LOT of people feel like they can't be touched. If that is the case we just need to decide that we are not bringing back the Wrecking Crew again for any team going forward and that name is reserved for that group.

OR, we call our defense the Wrecking Crew every year and use it as another tool in the toolbox to utilize tradition, give current players another incentive to play with Pride, give recruits excitement to join such a tradition and give coaches another way to pitch something special to recruits.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
The original wrecking crew would miss half the games due to targeting
Z Team
AG
hunter2012 said:

Mr. Black said:

RC struck down aggie fans with lighting bolts with the brain farts he released on the offensive side of the ball.

No doubt the fact we had the best players playing inspired D at every position would still translate with new playing style and new rules. You don't create the Wrecking Crew in one season. But we are well on our way. Still some holes to fill before we have the advantage or push at every position.
West Point Aggie
AG
Let's see how those stats looks after MSU and aubby
Bill Superman
AG
All_In_Ags said:

The question becomes - how do we keep Elko

thehit44
We will lose seniors Keke, Mack, Dunham, Alaka and Wilson this year. That's a lot of starts, experience and ability. These guys learned by going through the fires and have seen what works and what doesn't work. Much like the 2012 defense, they are seasoned seniors.

The difference for 2019 is we have more talented depth available and talent on the way to replace them. A couple more DT/ DEs and another MLB should bolster the class. We should be good and better by the end of the year.

2020 should be our best defense in 20 years.
DTLB
WC is the name for the defense just like the 12th man is the name for the fans. People will always complain about it not being earned by the current team just as they complain about the 12th man not being what it used to be. I think the two go hand in hand!
Win At Life
AG
CREWWWWWWWW!!!!
cevans_40
AG
I hope so
Bill Superman
AG
DTLB said:

WC is the name for the defense just like the 12th man is the name for the fans. People will always complain about it not being earned by the current team just as they complain about the 12th man not being what it used to be. I think the two go hand in hand!

You are correct about our defense being referred to as the Wrecking Crew - but we haven't had a good defenses for multiple seasons in a row In so long that it hasn't made sense to call them that
ShotOver
AG
All_In_Ags said:

Something seems to be missing....wait, it's pass defense!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.