Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN ARTICLE - Top 25 Teams most important storyline going forward

5,534 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexanJeff
HunterAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24996916/most-important-second-half-storyline-top-25-college-football-team

I think Sam Khan is right on target in his opinion (see link and below).

If Kellen & Co., with Fisher / Dickey assisting, can get back to scoring TDs in the red zone, A&M has a very good shot @ 9 -3 (or even running the table to 10 -2) for 2018.

No. 17 Texas A&M

Will the Aggies get better in the red zone? Against Power 5 competition, Texas A&M is scoring touchdowns only 45 percent of the time (10 touchdowns in 22 red zone trips). That's 50th nationally among the 65 Power 5 squads. The defense is playing at an elite level right now, but they'll have to improve inside the 20 if they're going to continue to win. -- Khan Jr.
smokeythebear
AG
Sam has consistently been one of my favorite people to ever cover A&M. He doesn't pull any punches, he just objectively tells us what he sees and he's right probably 90% or more of the time.
usmcbrooks
Meh....at least it isn't Dave Ubben who wrote it.
Sponge
AG
7. tu. Don't lose to tech/isu and make everyone feel stupid for thinking that you are "back".
usmcbrooks
They lose 1, maybe both of those games.
Ags4DaWin
Interesting.....one of our astute Texags members posted a thread about this exact same thing about 24 hours ago.

It looks like ESIPN reads Texags.
TexanJeff
AG
Anyone else thinking about the Irony?

The Irony that we wanted a pro Style offense to do better in the red zone?

Anyone other than me?

OrygunAg
AG
I said this before but you can bet jimbo is working on red zone offense over the bye.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Ags4DaWin said:

Interesting.....one of our astute Texags members posted a thread about this exact same thing about 24 hours ago.

It looks like ESIPN reads Texags.

Maybe, but I don't think its much of a secret. Our issues are pretty obvious to many.
phatbc
smokeythebear said:

Sam has consistently been one of my favorite people to ever cover A&M. He doesn't pull any punches, he just objectively tells us what he sees and he's right probably 90% or more of the time.
agreed
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I mix up media names..

At first I thought you were talking about the little midget w a crooked face that talked down about us nonstop during realignment...

What's that guy's name? He's a total ****
usmcbrooks
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

I mix up media names..

At first I thought you were talking about the little midget w a crooked face that talked down about us nonstop during realignment...

What's that guy's name? He's a total ****
Quote:

usmcbrooks

Meh....at least it isn't Dave Ubben who wrote it.
[url=https://texags.com/account/profile/167619][/url]
Turf96
usmcbrooks said:

They lose 1, maybe both of those games.

Who are we kidding? this year I wouldn't be surprised to see all the refs wearing orange and white striped uniforms with cash hanging out of every pocket the rest of the season. Every time tech has a completion flag comes out ineligible receiver down field. It is just the short horn way to the top. Watch and see. History usually repeats itself.
smokeythebear
AG
TexanJeff said:

Anyone other than me?
No, we wanted a pro style offense so our defense didn't spend the whole day on the field which is exactly what we've accomplished this year. Our offense has been extremely efficient at holding onto the ball, driving the field for good field position, and either getting some points (too often via FG) or pinning the opposition deep with our punting game.

The pro style offense is more to the benefit of the defense than anything else.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
And what we need to go along with the pro style offense is a pro caliber Oline.
TexanJeff
AG
smokeythebear said:

TexanJeff said:

Anyone other than me?
No, we wanted a pro style offense so our defense didn't spend the whole day on the field which is exactly what we've accomplished this year. Our offense has been extremely efficient at holding onto the ball, driving the field for good field position, and either getting some points (too often via FG) or pinning the opposition deep with our punting game.

The pro style offense is more to the benefit of the defense than anything else.

I will give you that, and I absolutely agree, but there where like eleventy billion threads about red zone problems and Sumlins offense as well.
smokeythebear
AG
Sure, red zone efficiency was certainly a criticism of Sumlin's offense as well. I'd argue that Sumlin's offense tended to have more explosive TDs, so we were often scoring from outside the red zone, but once we got in the red zone, we couldn't punch it in because of the compressed field and a lack of a power run game.

I'd be interested to see what our red zone to TD conversion percentage was last year compared to this year.
dixichkn
AG
I'd bet it's not as different as you'd think.

I love the new power offense that keeps the defense for having to play an extra 2-3 games worth of minutes this year. It has made a huge and quite obvious difference. But I do think we get just a bit too conservative in the red zone. Need to run more traps/misdirection/RPO to keep defenses from stacking the box on us
halfastros81
AG
It's a pretty obvious area for improvement . I expect to see them incorporate a bigger stronger back into the mix among other things. Our backs have been running tough especially late in games but they are still speed backs rather than power backs .
TexanJeff
AG
smokeythebear said:

I'd be interested to see what our red zone to TD conversion percentage was last year compared to this year.

7 G 35trips 21TD 8FG 83%

13G. 54trips 33TD 13FG 85%

Couple caveats: Seth Smalls misses are the difference really.

Also if you do the math on Jimbo on 13 games he going to be at the following:
13G. 65 trips 39 TD 15 FG at the same Percentage

Finally, we definitely had more long Touchdowns last year, can only think of a few this year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.