Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FBS Playoff long-term impacts

6,543 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halfastros81
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First, you have to make a rule that you can't schedule your OOC more than 2 or 4 years out. Someone smart with a computer could create an NFL type program whereby the best teams get a harder schedule and the weaker teams get an easier one. Have a clearing house determine who you play for 2 of your 3 OOC games.

Yes, it would be logistically harder and weird at first, but over time, the system would be epic because I thought of it.
Dr. Teeth
AG
PascalsWager said:

The power 5 must separate. Everyone else should be DIII.
This.

Mid-majors should have their own division and champion.
HoustonAg2106
AG
The complaining about the "usual suspects" competing for the national championship every year won't stop no matter how many teams you have in a playoff, they are always competing for national championships because they are the best teams, it's not rocket science guys!
Toptierag2018
aggiebrad94 said:

First, you have to make a rule that you can't schedule your OOC more than 2 or 4 years out. Someone smart with a computer could create an NFL type program whereby the best teams get a harder schedule and the weaker teams get an easier one. Have a clearing house determine who you play for 2 of your 3 OOC games.

Yes, it would be logistically harder and weird at first, but over time, the system would be epic because I thought of it.
Sounds like communism to me. Are you a commie?
Toptierag2018
HoustonAg2106 said:

The complaining about the "usual suspects" competing for the national championship every year won't stop no matter how many teams you have in a playoff, they are always competing for national championships because they are the best teams, it's not rocket science guys!
Crme rises to the top. In the FCS playoffs North Dakota won it like 5 years in a row. In FBS Bama would probably still win anyway, just having to play a couple more mid-tier teams instead.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quote:

The power 5 must separate. Everyone else should be DIII.

It should be a power "6" or at least he big 12 should be forced to expand and have divisions.

You then institute RELEGATION ( like English Soccer) which gives the ability of the lower schools to move up . ( Relegation is a combination of attendance & wins over a set 3-5 years,
Moving up is championships in the lower division)

Then force 8 conference games plus 2 non conference in the other" power" conferences and 1 game of the lower division.

have 12 playoff teams with the top 4 getting byes all games are current bowls.

Reduce the number of bowls so that only the top 3-4 schools in all divisions get in.

Indignitas
AG
I got 2 words for you: role playing chat room

Sorry, wrong board.

I got 2 words for you: relegation league
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
It's the Kevin Durant syndrome. KD made it acceptable to ditch the contenders and go play for the annual locks. You can now choose to win a championship rather than building one. And with the way recruiting has gone national, it's now just 5 or so teams who are handpicking the best players in the nation.

There's a reason the greatest dynasty in American sports rose to power along with the rise of social media. Kids have had more exposure to seeing their peers go and have success at one place. And they are more susceptible to following their footsteps rather than making their own path. Bama's rise came at the perfect time. It's a fire that has only gotten hotter and hotter and it's hard to see what factors will change that in the near future.
HoustonAg2106
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

It's the Kevin Durant syndrome. KD made it acceptable to ditch the contenders and go play for the annual locks. You can now choose to win a championship rather than building one. And with the way recruiting has gone national, it's now just 5 or so teams who are handpicking the best players in the nation.

There's a reason the greatest dynasty in American sports rose to power along with the rise of social media. Kids have had more exposure to seeing their peers go and have success at one place. And they are more susceptible to following their footsteps rather than making their own path. Bama's rise came at the perfect time. It's a fire that has only gotten hotter and hotter and it's hard to see what factors will change that in the near future.
I disagree, the teams that are getting the best players have the best coaches. Alabama was awful when Saban took over and he turned them around immediately...they will fall back to earth when Saban retires (unless they go get Dabo who is also one of the best coaches and getting the best players every year)

Oh and by the way we went and got Jimbo and we have the number one recruiting class right now...
merch
First, if you are an Aggie and rooting for playoff expansion you are crazy and probably not an Aggie. From an Aggie perspective, we play in the undisputed premier college league. This gives us an advantage in recruiting Texas and nation wide and a coach like Jimbo will use to his advantage. Is the SEC the only conference to have not been left out of playoff? I think so but did not research. Certainly only conference to get 2 teams in. All expansion talk is due primarily to guarantee all power 5 get a team in. It seems this could only hurt the Aggies and for that reason alone I don't like it. Again shaping up to where 2 power 5 conferences may not get a team in and Nobody is thinking at this point 1 of those conferences may be SEC but tons of speculation as to which inferior conferences may be left out.

From a personal standpoint I would rather not see anything that waters down regular season. And, we all know if it goes to 6 it will eventually be expanded to 8 and then to something after that.

Non-power five conferences already feel like they are not part of playoff and in reality they are not and shouldn't be because they are not as good. Those leagues can and probably should create their own division but none of that should impact the current playoff.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
But it won't always be the same teams. USC had a dynasty that seemed like it would never end. But they have yet to make the playoff. Miami/Florida/Florida State had a run when it was the three of them and everybody else. Only FSU has made the playoffs from that group, and they currently stink.

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't expand, but I don't think this really the angle that will force that change.
wbt5845
AG
The system we have now is perfect. There is no one with a legitimate claim to #1 who is left out of the CFP.

If you have N teams in the playoffs, N+1 is always going to complain about getting left out. N can be 4, 6, 8 or 16 and that won't change.
HoustonAg2106
AG
wbt5845 said:

The system we have now is perfect. There is no one with a legitimate claim to #1 who is left out of the CFP.

If you have N teams in the playoffs, N+1 is always going to complain about getting left out. N can be 4, 6, 8 or 16 and that won't change.
Well said
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Always been a fan of the idea of going back to an 11 game with a "plus 1" for everybody.

Would give weak teams a matchup that is winnable to end the season, 5 win teams a chance to get bowl eligible...

And most importantly, you could use it as a first round playoff format and dispose of the "too many games" counter argument.

Agsuffering@bulaw
This is where I usually land. I can only think of a few teams that seemed screwed out of playing for a title:

1994 Penn State
2001 Oregon, maybe
2004 Auburn

halfastros81
AG
I believe we'll end up with an eight team playoff eventually. I am all for it. If they need to deep six one of the non-con games to make the schedule work i'd Be for that as well however that might be a problem from a revenue standpoint for some programs since it would eliminate a home game for many
P5 schools . Could be a problem for some of the non-p5 schools as it takes away a road slaughter payday for them as well.
NewOldAg
AG
6 Teams, top 2 get a BYE. 5 slots reserved for all P5 conference champions. 1 slot at-large. I don't think it needs to go to a G5 school but I would be ok with it.

That would make the regular season really matter because Conference Championships would be the only way in.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

This is where I usually land. I can only think of a few teams that seemed screwed out of playing for a title:

1994 Penn State
2001 Oregon, maybe
2004 Auburn

And they wouldn't be left out in a 4 game playoff
8T2
HoustonAg2106 said:

Yellowflag said:

If the FBS playoff continues to remain at four, I think there will be unintended consequences down the road affecting popularity of college football. My belief is that if we go a number of years with the same 8-10 teams being only one's able to ever make the top 4, then fans are going to get disillusioned. It's still new enough this hasn't happened yet, but how many years of it every year being Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, OSU, etc...is going to take? I feel like it will get to the point that the fan bases of the other 120 or so programs will just say forget it.

I just think there are long-term problems with this current format.

The CFP has been around only 4 years and every year there has been at least one team that had not made it before, and only 2 teams have been more than twice (9 total teams overall have made it)

While one team may be new, the other 3 are the same ones. 4 teams have accounted for 11 of the 16 slots over the four years. And 3 of those 4 are on pace to fill 3 slots again this year.

Boooooring.
HoustonAg2106
AG
8T2 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Yellowflag said:

If the FBS playoff continues to remain at four, I think there will be unintended consequences down the road affecting popularity of college football. My belief is that if we go a number of years with the same 8-10 teams being only one's able to ever make the top 4, then fans are going to get disillusioned. It's still new enough this hasn't happened yet, but how many years of it every year being Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, OSU, etc...is going to take? I feel like it will get to the point that the fan bases of the other 120 or so programs will just say forget it.

The CFP has been around only 4 years and every year there has been at least one team that had not made it before, and only 2 teams have been more than twice (9 total teams overall have made it)

While one team may be new, the other 3 are the same ones. 4 teams have accounted for 11 of the 16 slots over the four years. And 3 of those 4 are on pace to fill 3 slots again this year.

Boooooring.

Well that's misleading because Alabama and Clemson account for 7 of those 11...you're really just mad that Alabama and Clemson have been so good the last 4 years
8T2
halfastros81 said:

I believe we'll end up with an eight team playoff eventually. I am all for it. If they need to deep six one of the non-con games to make the schedule work i'd Be for that as well however that might be a problem from a revenue standpoint for some programs since it would eliminate a home game for many
P5 schools . Could be a problem for some of the non-p5 schools as it takes away a road slaughter payday for them as well.
There is no need to eliminate any games. Only 4 teams would play more games than a conference champ in a bowl game, and only 2 teams would play the last game. So, 65-70 teams play 13 games, and 4 play some combination of 14 to 16 games, depending on how far they go, and whether they played in their CCG.
8T2
HoustonAg2106 said:

8T2 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Yellowflag said:

Boooooring.

Well that's misleading because Alabama and Clemson account for 7 of those 11...you're really just mad that Alabama and Clemson have been so good the last 4 years
Not mad. Bored. And Alabama and Clemson accounting for 7 is far from misleading. It is the whole point.
HoustonAg2106
AG
8T2 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

8T2 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Yellowflag said:

Boooooring.

Not mad. Bored. And Alabama and Clemson accounting for 7 is far from misleading. It is the whole point.

Adding more teams for Alabama to dominate probably isn't the answer to cure your boredom
halfastros81
AG
I don't disagree with you but I have heard the argument used that the season is a grind on the kids as it is.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.