Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FBS Playoff long-term impacts

6,551 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halfastros81
Yellowflag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the FBS playoff continues to remain at four, I think there will be unintended consequences down the road affecting popularity of college football. My belief is that if we go a number of years with the same 8-10 teams being only one's able to ever make the top 4, then fans are going to get disillusioned. It's still new enough this hasn't happened yet, but how many years of it every year being Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, OSU, etc...is going to take? I feel like it will get to the point that the fan bases of the other 120 or so programs will just say forget it.

I just think there are long-term problems with this current format.
PascalsWager
AG
The power 5 must separate. Everyone else should be DIII.
West Point Aggie
AG
What if WE become one of those playoff staples? I'd go for that in a big way...to hell with disillusioned other fans!
hunter2012
AG
PascalsWager said:

The power 4 must separate. Everyone else should be DIII.

FIFY since the BDF belongs with DIII too.
Demosthenes81
AG
I think 8 is the upward limit on the number of teams they could take. The hard decision is whether to give auto berths to winners of the conferences or use the committee to determine the top 8 regardless of conference chamipionships.

Cinderella stories are what makes the Basketball tourney so popular. If there is money to be made in football like that you better believe the NCAA will grab it.
Yellowflag
AG
I just think there needs to be a broader net for teams like the current UCF team to be able to have a chance. I realize there's all kinds of issues involved, but the current format makes it impossible for most college teams to even have a chance to obtain a national championship.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Should be 8

no automatic qualifiers

I would actually prefer 12. Top 4 seeds get byes.

People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
GtownRAB
AG
I like the same format, but 6 teams and top 2 get a bye.

More teams you have, the less impact each week has. That is part of what makes football so exciting now.

Plus, rarely more than 6 teams deserve a shot. At that point, 7-10 are most likely more than one loss teams already.
Post removed:
by user
C Loves L
Yellowflag said:

I just think there needs to be a broader net for teams like the current UCF team to be able to have a chance. I realize there's all kinds of issues involved, but the current format makes it impossible for most college teams to even have a chance to obtain a national championship.

Be more selective with non conference scheduling
Problem solved
PascalsWager
AG
C Loves L said:

Yellowflag said:

Problem solved
These teams claim that most Power 5 teams refuse to schedule them due to a fear of losing.
C Loves L
PascalsWager said:

C Loves L said:

Yellowflag said:

Problem solved
These teams claim that most Power 5 teams refuse to schedule them due to a fear of losing.

Use every form of media to blast every school that refused to play you. Make a big fuss, draw enough attention.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Yellowflag said:

If the FBS playoff continues to remain at four, I think there will be unintended consequences down the road affecting popularity of college football. My belief is that if we go a number of years with the same 8-10 teams being only one's able to ever make the top 4, then fans are going to get disillusioned. It's still new enough this hasn't happened yet, but how many years of it every year being Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, OSU, etc...is going to take? I feel like it will get to the point that the fan bases of the other 120 or so programs will just say forget it.

I just think there are long-term problems with this current format.

The CFP has been around only 4 years and every year there has been at least one team that had not made it before, and only 2 teams have been more than twice (9 total teams overall have made it)

C Loves L
Yeah I think the OP is stretching. The current layout has been great. Maybe not the best but I don't see any long term ramifications
greg.w.h
AG
I think the bowl revenue of the current bowl system pretty much outweighs repeating the FCS playoff system at the FBS level. I don't care about an additional two or three levels of playoff games for NCAA FBS football. I'm content with the "best four" and having more practically guarantees conference champions get a spot which is arguably the simplest way to destroy the TV value of the playoffs. Pretty much the FCS playoffs and the UIL playoffs demonstrate the risk of guaranteed slotting and seeding. Only the semifinals and finals really are that interesting anyway UNLESS your school is in.

And that's the magic of the bowls: you know when to watch your school play...
winorgetadog
AG
6 team playoff with 2 first round BYEs would be perfect. I don't typically see any teams outside of 6 or 7 that are worthy.
HoustonAg2106
AG
If you haven't done enough to be unquestionably one of the 4 best teams in the country, then I don't feel sorry for you getting left out.

Having said that...I would be alright with 6 teams, but anymore than that will water it down too much. The last two years there was at least one 3 loss team that would have made it if we had an 8 team playoff. 3 losses and you're playing for a national title? No way.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

the current format makes it impossible for most college teams to even have a chance to obtain a national championship

The previous format was not much different. BYU won in 1984. Before that, Army won it in 1945.
aggiehawg
AG
jxs40 said:

I think 8 is the upward limit on the number of teams they could take. The hard decision is whether to give auto berths to winners of the conferences or use the committee to determine the top 8 regardless of conference chamipionships.

Cinderella stories are what makes the Basketball tourney so popular. If there is money to be made in football like that you better believe the NCAA will grab it.
NCAA has little to do with the CFP.

Where the NCAA owns the basketball tournament, they do not own nor run the college football playoffs.
Clarissa
If you guys want 8, I'll make it happen. I'll report back in a few.
DallasAg 94
We already start with 10 teams, now that the BXII has a CCG.

You have 10 teams playing in their CCG,

If you are good enough to win the CCG, then you are entered into a lottery for one of the 4 spots, along with a select few other teams.

If you don't win your conference, you better have a good reason... like losing to one of the other teams.

Teams in the SEC continue to pack stadiums knowing that Alabama looms.

The BDF struggles to fill small stadiums, even though they know they have a chance every year to win the Conference.

OU is not that good every year. They just play a very weak schedule.
Sharpshooter
AG
hunter2012 said:

PascalsWager said:

The power 4 must separate. Everyone else should be DIII.

FIFY since the BDF belongs with DIII too.
Not enough of those blue things for you.
cr
This isn't the NFL. Flagship teams get the recruits.

Wanna spread the wealth? Reduce to 20 schollies.
merch
4 teams is perfect. Lots of different teams get in. Every power 5 school has a shot to get in for sure. Just gotta win your games.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I bet if UCF were willing to play a guarantee game for 500k, they would find plenty of takers.

Iowaggie
AG
The ridiculous enforcement of an expanding targeting penalty is what is decreasing my interest in football.

Not Alabama & Clemson.
chevy con queso
AG
I'd like to see 6 or 8. I do like the idea of 6 with 2 teams having a bye.

It's pretty easy to see why people are still unhappy with 4 though. The usual suspects are always going to be contenders, and the media is in love and forever will be with "blue blood" programs and all of the final four hype starting in week one.

Seriously, all the pundits are giddy over guessing who's going to be in the playoffs before a single game has even been played in the season. And it's always the same teams being discussed. They are the same teams who have always been discussed for winning the national championship, and they always have an advantage by starting high in the rankings, even though their previous season was absolute garbage (my eyes are looking upon you, t.u.)

I do hope one day we will be in that discussion, but we weren't good in the 1960s so the deck is already stacked against us.
91AggieLawyer
AG
It isn't so much that the same teams constantly qualify; its that there will constantly be more than 4 deserving teams and/or too many times Alabama or another similar team gets in over a more deserving team (like last year).
oldcrow91
AG
winorgetadog said:

6 team playoff with 2 first round BYEs would be perfect. I don't typically see any teams outside of 6 or 7 that are worthy.

Do we think they turn down the money of 8 teams if they go all the way to 6.

2 mire high profile games.
Ktag98
AG
PascalsWager said:

C Loves L said:

Yellowflag said:

Problem solved

They aren't wrong?
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

It isn't so much that the same teams constantly qualify; its that there will constantly be more than 4 deserving teams and/or too many times Alabama or another similar team gets in over a more deserving team (like last year).

There's not too many "deserving" teams and Alabama was "deserving" last year

If you didn't think Alabama was one of the 4 best teams last year then you are crazy

They won it all

The net of 4 teams is to ensure that you at least have the two best teams in there with a chance to win it all, because prior to the playoff there were occasions where an undefeated power 5 team was being left out of the title game

4 teams ensure that that doesn't happen

Say what you want about UCF but their schedule stinks and until they amp it up teams like that won't be in the discussion
AgLaw02
AG
The problem with 8 teams is that all the 8 team models being pushed include automatic berths to ensure the crappy conferences (ahem, BDF) get representation regardless of whether they are one of the top 8 teams or not.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

eliminate all the cream puff games.

play conference schedules only (championship games optional )

that makes season 7-8 games.

top 64 teams start playoffs similar to March Madness. losers brackets so every team gets 11-12 games.
make bowls final 16 or however many you want

no complaints. if u can't make top 50% of teams....u can't complain

What if your conference is a cream puf? *cough* BDF *cough*
fistofsouth
C Loves L said:

Yeah I think the OP is stretching. The current layout has been great. Maybe not the best but I don't see any long term ramifications
This.

For the 100 years leading up to the CFB it was generally two teams in January that had a shot. Sometimes four, but pre-BCS that would result in two teams (like USC and LSU) claiming the MNC. I don't see how having four with a real champion hurts the game.
rosstradamas70
AG
I like four
however, I think we should go back to the old bowl system and when those have played out select the 'final' four
ross skillman 70
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.