Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Nick Bosa

6,155 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoustonAg2106
merch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I get it a player may choose to make a decision that he feels is best for him even if it adversely impacts his team. But why tell everybody? You are already placing your team at a disadvantage by not playing, why add to this?

The playoff committee takes into account injuries. The example committee representatives have given before is assume Team A lost a game but Team A was playing without their star QB who was injured that game. The committee has said this would be a factor they consider, especially if said star player would be returning to play in the playoff.

Bosa is supposedly OSU's best player and one of best players in all of college football. Thus, the committee could very well take his absence due to injury into consideration should facts play out to where this mattered. But if the player says he is not playing then the committee would not consider his absence, there would be no reason to.

Thus the question...your act is already selfish, but why tell the world you are not playing if that could adversely impact your team? Even if that chance is remote?
NuclearAggie05
AG
In order to fully begin rehabbing and preparing for the NFL draft he needed to un-enroll from the University. At that point it would be public knowledge anyway.
biggolfboy
AG
Live look at Nick Bosa talking to Urban.

W
AG
going to see more & more of this each season
NoahAg
I 100% support anything that hurts tOSU.
TecRecAg
AG
He wasn't coming back this season and he's had enough film to know he'll get drafted. Why not leave?
Cancelled
AG
I honestly would probably like college football more if we didn't have future nfl players...just let them go straight out of HS. Reserve spots for real student athletes that want play for their university.
dixichkn
AG
queso1 said:

I honestly would probably like college football more if we didn't have future nfl players...just let them go straight out of HS. Reserve spots for real student athletes that want play for their university.
Absolutely unrealistic dream. But it'd sure cut out the drama.
PacifistAg
AG
queso1 said:

While I'm all for letting them go straight out of high school, this isn't basketball where it's actually feasible for the elite players to do so. HS football players are simply not capable of making that jump, and I can't imagine an NFL team taking a high schooler, unless they created something like the NBA has w/ the developmental league. The physical differences between HS football and the NFL is just too great.
My Dad Earl
AG
queso1 said:

The competition level and games would absolutely suck... If you want to watch kids who won't go to the NFL, just go watch the Texas Minor Professional Football league...
PascalsWager
AG
PacifistAg said:

queso1 said:

While I'm all for letting them go straight out of high school, this isn't basketball where it's actually feasible for the elite players to do so. HS football players are simply not capable of making that jump, and I can't imagine an NFL team taking a high schooler, unless they created something like the NBA has w/ the developmental league. The physical differences between HS football and the NFL is just too great.
The NFL can make their own minor league (for young players) and kill college football. But why would they? Their players get free development and free publicity.

The motivation would be if there is enough backlash. They'd be able to pay players that the NCAA might be unwilling or unable to ever do. I think college football would survive as a DIII sport, but all the money would be gone so the paying players question would end for colleges.

Look at college baseball: an irrelevant sport. And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying that to lessen your enjoyment of it. But no one outside of college towns is paying attention; not even to the playoffs or championships.
HoustonAg2106
AG
queso1 said:

That would make college football so boring...

This doesn't happen as often as people make it out to be, it's like one or two players a year that sit out to get ready for the draft
My Dad Earl
AG
PascalsWager said:

Look at college baseball: an irrelevant sport. And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying that to lessen your enjoyment of it. But no one outside of college towns is paying attention; not even to the playoffs or championships.
This. I know many grads from different schools who don't care a lick about their college baseball teams, myself included. It's just too "amateur" and not as competitive compared to what you can watch in MLB. Football would be no different.
The Lost
queso1 said:

Theres a league just for you, it even has a real playoff!

Go watch FCS games like montanta state. It's actually decent football too when they're playing their own level of football.
Mayor West
AG
The Lost said:

queso1 said:

Theres a league just for you, it even has a real playoff!

Go watch FCS games like montanta state. It's actually decent football too when they're playing their own level of football.

Watch Ivy games...terrible
S.A. Aggie
AG
He should have come back to prove he was healthy. Combines won't prove everything has healed. Getting hit and hitting will show he is healthy. On the other hand, I don't care. It's OSU. I want them to lose.
PacifistAg
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

He should have come back to prove he was healthy. Combines won't prove everything has healed. Getting hit and hitting will show he is healthy. On the other hand, I don't care. It's OSU. I want them to lose.
I don't think whether he's healthy is a concern. From what I've seen, there's no reason at all to doubt that he'll be fully healed up by the start of camp. Coming back just to prove that opens himself up to actual serious injury that could impact his draft status, like a blown out knee.
W
AG
should make all of us appreciate Myles Garrett a little bit more
Agsrback12
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. He may not be very durable.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The Bosa's have to be one of the most hated families of nfl front offices.
The dad John held out before signing his rookie contract. Brother Joey also held out before signing his rookie contract. You can bet Nick will do the same.
PooDoo
AG
The Chargers weren't offering Joey a good contract.

As if every team wouldn't be lining up for him if he was a FA.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't think this will be a huge trend, but I think afew more top players who get an early season injury will consider this.

The majority of top players actually like playing football and don't want to miss football games that matter.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Iowaggie said:

I don't think this will be a huge trend, but I think afew more top players who get an early season injury will consider this.

The majority of top players actually like playing football and don't want to miss football games that matter.

Put yourself in his shoes with a multimillion dollar opportunity on front of you, he won't even be ready to play until December no matter what and making as much money as possible for your talent is more important than Ohio State or any college for that matter...if you are that kind of player with that much at risk I don't see a problem with it...I guess I'm just too much of a realist
merch
Not my point at all.

Not a thread about top players not playing for selfish reasons. The point is, if this could hurt your team in any way, just exercise, train, rehab, whatever for the next few months on campus and keep your mouth shut about your return. There is a chance your "return" could be a mark in the column of your team by the committee. Why possibly screw that up for your team? You telling me this kid couldn't do what he needs to on campus??
Cibalo
queso1 said:

Hey...so.. um
merch said:

Not my point at all.

Not a thread about top players not playing for selfish reasons. The point is, if this could hurt your team in any way, just exercise, train, rehab, whatever for the next few months on campus and keep your mouth shut about your return. There is a chance your "return" could be a mark in the column of your team by the committee. Why possibly screw that up for your team? You telling me this kid couldn't do what he needs to on campus??

Probably not.
Meximan
PascalsWager said:

PacifistAg said:

queso1 said:

And yet March Madness continues to kill in ratings.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Meximan said:

PascalsWager said:

PacifistAg said:

queso1 said:

And yet March Madness continues to kill in ratings.
Wrong sport bro.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.