Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Regarding our Kicking game...

3,432 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 67walkon
TAMU74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it was on this date in 1976 that the great Tony Franklin kicked 2 NCAA record field goals of 64 and 65 yards against those hapless bears for a 24-0 victory.
You think coach Teaff is still pissed?
He was institutional in changing the rules regarding "missed" FG's, but I don't recall if he was regarding the elimination of the kicking tee.on FG's.
Sharpshooter
AG
TAMU74 said:

it was on this date in 1976 that the great Tony Franklin kicked 2 NCAA record field goals of 64 and 65 yards against those hapless bears for a 24-0 victory.
He was institutional in changing the rules regarding "missed" FG's, but I don't recall if he was regarding the elimination of the kicking tee.on FG's.

I was there as a Fish.
AgDadJP
The 64 yarder was into the wind!
Craigy
I was a sophomore in high school and listened to the game on radio. I was recording the game at the time and I still have. Someday I will get this and other games You can hear us yelling in the background.
NavyAg92
AG
Kicking ass and kicking FGs.
LesterHaze
TAMU74 said:

It's true. The rule change he championed at the time was moving the ball back to the original line of scrimmage from where the FG was attempted on a missed FG. At the time, the ball was always placed at the 20 yard line after a missed FG. Just like a punt touch back into the endzone.

The untold story is that the season immediately before Tony Franklin made those two kicks, Baylor's Bubba Hicks attempted and made a SWC all time record 59 yard FG. Grant Teaff had no problem with the rules that season.

Typical Baptist.
Alpha Texan
AG
AgDadJP said:

I heard it was uphill too
coachbullet
Uwe Johanssen hit a 69 yarder later that day for Abilene Christian. Erxleben (texas) and Steve Little (hogs) hit 67 yarders the following year. Golden age of kicking.
Sharpshooter
AG
AgDadJP said:

Not correct. I was in the student section and the wind was coming North to South. Both kicks were N to S. As was Uwe's.
lotoarmy
AG
Sharpshooter said:

AgDadJP said:

Not correct. I was in the student section and the wind was coming North to South. Both kicks were N to S. As was Uwe's.
You are correct.
Last of the Old Army
AgDadJP
Sorry, I was 15 at that time. I'm just remembering it wrong.
ToddyHill
AG
I too was a Fish and was at the game. Franklin was amazing.
rsemingson
Yes to Taff pushing to get rid of the kickIng tees on FG and EP attempts after that game. I believe it was the next season when the NCAA implemented that change. Thank you Grant.
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

I can't wait for the other shoe to drop!

What is this reference?
cecil77
AG
Best part was after the second one, where Baylor had stopped the Ags at midfield, their D came off the field with dejected body language, like "well, WTF are we supposed to do?!"

Tony changed at least one game that year w/ his warm ups. He'd kick from the 40, so 50 yard FGs over the Ags warming up. Then he'd turn around and kick 70 yarders over the opponents! This was when most teams chose to receive the opening kick off (no deferral). At least one coach chose to KO to start the game. Said afterwards that he didn't want the Aggie D to stop them, then after punting into the wind the Ags were already in FG range!

One other tidbit from that year. Some Aggie grad student did a study of the mechanics of Franklin, Erxlaben and Uve. Turns out Franklin, being self taught, was not a "soccer style" kicker. He essentially punted the ball off the tee. Exrlaben was traditional straight on, Uve was soccer style.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

you serious Clark?

The reference about Tony Franklin's shoe? No. I see it mentioned every now and then, but have never seen it explained.

In my defense, it took place more than a decade and a half before I was born.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

ah.

he kicked with his bare foot

Oh, well that's about as Aggie as it gets. Looking him up, he seems to be a real badass.
cecil77
AG
Barefoot. Kicked of the top of his foot. Same mechanics as a punter.
67walkon
Saw him kick a 74 yarder in practice one day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.