Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which would you call a better season

6,756 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cecil77
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 teams, equal regular season records. One goes to the playoff and gets crushed, the other doesn't get in the playoff and wins their bowl game handily.

A play off berth is obviously always the goal but my vote would be it provides more momentum into the next year to be the 2nd option with a big win and being able to claim you should have been in.
ShaggySLC
I guessed it! You're talking about A&M and the sips!
Lateralus Ag
AG
A bowl game, regardless of which one it is, does NOT provide the same amount of momentum as a playoff berth.

HTH
Gyles Marrett
DadofEaston said:

I guessed it! You're talking about A&M and the sips!
Actually no. Only because I don't see them winning out. Not everything has to do with tu. Just was thinking does a playoff berth always give you the most momentum moving forward.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Playoffs, all bowl games besides the playoffs are ultimately meaningless
Gyles Marrett
Good example would be UCF last year. I tend to think it benefited them more beating Auburn in their bowl and going undefeated than if they had got shellacked by Bama in the playoffs.
85AustinAg
AG
Playoffs and its not even close. Bowl games are meaningless exhibitions. A reward for a pretty good season.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Good example would be UCF last year. I tend to think it benefited them more beating Auburn in their bowl and going undefeated than if they had got shellacked by Bama in the playoffs.

It benefited the fans more because they got to watch their team win instead of lose, but that game meant nothing to Auburn and I would bet money if that game were a playoff game Auburn would have dominated them just like Alabama would have in your scenario
Geriatric Punk
AG
"Playoff team" sounds infinitely better than "XXXX (see meaningless) Bowl Champ."

See Clemson this year. Got smoked in first round last year. Doesn't matter. Playoff team.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
HoustonAg2106
AG
What's a better recruiting tool...if you come here you will have a chance to win a national championship and I can prove it because we made the playoffs last year, or if you come here and win every game you will won't make the playoffs but you can play in a bowl game?
SA-AG72
AG
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon crushed coriander
1 tablespoon dill
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Michigan State got destroyed by Bama in the first round a couple years ago. Are they benefitting from that loss? I honestly don't know.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Michigan State got destroyed by Bama in the first round a couple years ago. Are they benefitting from that loss? I honestly don't know.

Are you suggesting that they would be better off today if they had not made the playoffs a few years ago? Maybe they didn't take advantage of making the playoffs and the competition around them got better, but it doesn't make any sense that you would be better off not making the playoffs and play in a meaningless bowl game (that you could still lose by the way).
Triple-T
AG
Playoff game and its not even close.

Even if the score is not even close.

Gig 'em.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
This is the same as the basketball debate of losing in the first round of the NCAA or winning the NIT...
DTLB
There are seniors on this team that have never won a bowl game!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Are they a good example? I'm sure their team and fans enjoyed the victory over Auburn. But are they benefiting from that victory this year, or are they simply benefiting from once again not playing anyone worth a **** in the regular season? We'd be undefeated with their schedule to date, and we lost our worthless bowl game.
JJxvi
AG
Does OP have any thoughts on the NIT?
Agsrback12
tu will not make he playoff. If they did though, a 55-3 loss would actually help us..
schmendeler
AG
what a dumb scenario. the first scenario season is where you could only hope to get after your second scenario season. why would you rather have the "not quite there" season rather than one where you make it to the big time?
TxAgPreacher
S
Depends on if you get bounced by Bama who goes on to win. Probably you wanna make it to the playoffs just to say you did.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Are you suggesting that they would be better off today if they had not made the playoffs a few years ago? Maybe they didn't take advantage of making the playoffs and the competition around them got better, but it doesn't make any sense that you would be better off not making the playoffs and play in a meaningless bowl game (that you could still lose by the way).

I'm not suggesting anything either way. I don't really know. I think it would be an interesting study to take a look at them versus the 5th thru 8th ranked teams (basically the rest of the NY6 bowls) that year and comparing recruiting results.

There are so many variables though, that you would likely need many years of data to come to any kind of conclusion.
Gyles Marrett
JJxvi said:

Does OP have any thoughts on the NIT?
I actually don't think it's a good comparison at all. How many people watch the NIT finals as opposed to how many watch for instance the sugar bowl on years it's not a playoff game. The audience and attention for a major bowl game is far greater than the NIT Finals.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

I'm not suggesting anything either way. I don't really know. I think it would be an interesting study to take a look at them versus the 5th thru 8th ranked teams (basically the rest of the NY6 bowls) that year and comparing recruiting results.

There are so many variables though, that you would likely need many years of data to come to any kind of conclusion.
I get what you are saying, and no making the playoffs doesn't automatically mean your recruiting will improve over teams that didn't make the playoffs that year (Ohio State didn't make the playoffs the year Michigan State did and we all know Ohio State is still out recruiting them).

But to me it seems backwards to suggest that not making the playoffs would lead you to have better recruiting and more success than if you did make the playoffs. How could going 12-2, winning your conference (most likely), and making the "final four" hurt your program? If you do all of that and don't take advantage of that success on the recruiting trail, then you have failed or you just don't have a program that can sustain success and just had a good year (like Michigan State).
Gyles Marrett
HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

I get what you are saying, and no making the playoffs doesn't automatically mean your recruiting will improve over teams that didn't make the playoffs that year (Ohio State didn't make the playoffs the year Michigan State did and we all know Ohio State is still out recruiting them).

But to me it seems backwards to suggest that not making the playoffs would lead you to have better recruiting and more success than if you did make the playoffs. How could going 12-2, winning your conference (most likely), and making the "final four" hurt your program?
I don't think anyone is suggesting it would hurt a program. Both options are going to help your program. The question was which helps more. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to claim making the playoffs will hurt your program.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to claim making the playoffs will hurt your program.
Well, this IS TexAgs.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

But to me it seems backwards to suggest that not making the playoffs would lead you to have better recruiting and more success than if you did make the playoffs. How could going 12-2, winning your conference (most likely), and making the "final four" hurt your program?
I don't think anyone is suggesting it would hurt a program. Both options are going to help your program. The question was which helps more. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to claim making the playoffs will hurt your program.
Well if one option helps more than the other, then obviously one of the options has to "hurt" more than the other as well right?

We can always just agree that they both help and move on if you would like...
Agsuffering@bulaw
Playoffs, next question.
Gyles Marrett
HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Well if one option helps more than the other, then obviously one of the options has to "hurt" more than the other as well right?

That's literally what I just said. And the first part of what you said is ignorant to be blunt. If someone gives me a million dollars and gives you 2 million did they hurt me? So no, one option helping more doesn't mean one option hurts more.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

That's literally what I just said. And the first part of what you said is ignorant to be blunt. If someone gives me a million dollars and gives you 2 million did they hurt me? So no, one option helping more doesn't mean one option hurts more.
Would you rather have 1 or 2 million dollars?
Gyles Marrett
HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dumb question, obvious answer....but you ignored the point. Did the guy that was gifted a mil get hurt? If so, feel free to hurt me like that whenever...
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dumb question, obvious answer....but you ignored the point. Did the guy that was gifted a mil get hurt? If so, feel free to hurt me like that whenever...
Sorry guy, but I think asking would your rather make the playoffs or not make the playoffs is also a dumb question and obvious answer...

I'll rephrase for you though...

How could going 12-2, winning your conference (most likely), and making the "final four" help less than not doing all of that?
Gyles Marrett
HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Sorry guy, but I think asking would your rather make the playoffs or not make the playoffs is also a dumb question and obvious answer...

I'll rephrase for you though...

How could going 12-2, winning your conference (most likely), and making the "final four" help less than not doing all of that?
The question was based on being a team that was in the debate and got left out when they had just as good of argument to be in the playoffs as the team that did get in....It isn't that outlandish to wonder if being that team and winning convincingly in the big time bowl you get put in does more than getting routed in the playoff game. Essentially both were equal but one got left out of the playoff. There's a lot of factors and I think a fair argument for your side. But it's really not a dumb of a question.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Playoffs all the way.
levypantsEOY
Gyles Marrett said:

Lol what a loser attitude. It benefits a team more to win an inconsequential game than to have a shot at a national championship?

Is this a serious question?

Please don't contact any of our program leaders with your "thoughts."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.