Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We talk about it all the time, but....

12,952 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Loyalty
walton91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Corso is fine. He's not the host, or tasked with carrying the show. He's one of 7 or 8 people getting airtime, when you include Bear, Maria, and Tom Rinaldi. The dude loves college football and that still comes across the screen.
Meximan
MSCAg said:

Yeah. My guess is he is like a lot of old guys out there. Still thinks he can do it/too stubborn to retire, but I'm guess the ESPN brass is too scared to force him out.
He's a legacy retention. They keep him around because he's earned the right to retire on his own terms. That said, I believe the scuttle was that he was due to retire when his current contract ends in 2 or 3 years.

But also, the man had a stroke. You have half your brain die and see how well you do at talking. Most people who have strokes think fine, but their mouth won't cooperate when they try to speak. I worked with a guy who had multiple small strokes in a one week span and he recovered okay, but he definitely had his days where the stuttering got real bad. He had a great sense of humor about it though (and I ribbed him from time to time), and I'm sure Corso does too, but be respectful of his condition please. He seems lucid enough, the words just won't form for him sometimes.
Serving Crow
AG
Love Corso... I think he says "Facebake it" after he says "put it on the Facebook"...he's pure gold
fistofsouth
I hope some of you guys are around when it's time to put me out to pasture. Retaining someone in their job should be about ability versus salary not empathy.
bmc13
AG
part of his job is to be a face of the show and a personality. lots of people obviously still love to watch him. this isn't a job where he's charged with cranking out spreadsheets full of projections and figures or writing code that needs to never fail. it's TV.
yonose
AG
I don't think he's incoherent because he's old. Me thinks he hits the booze a little too hard. He slurs most of the time like he's drunk.
Ian Neff
AG
SCOOTER
TennAg
I cringe when he talks but I love how herbstreet helps him along and I love that the kids still love him at every stop. It's actually a pretty good lesson about loyalty and compassion and refreshing to see. One of the best things i've seen ESPN do come to think of it.
eldog569
AG
NattyOrBust said:

Corso is Gameday. Deal with it.

This. I tune in for ONLY one reason, to see him put on headgear at the end of the show!
Agsrback12
TennAg said:

I cringe when he talks but I love how herbstreet helps him along and I love that the kids still love him at every stop. It's actually a pretty good lesson about loyalty and compassion and refreshing to see. One of the best things i've seen ESPN do come to think of it.
91_Aggie
AG
They are obviously grooming Pollack to take his place, so OP obviously loves Pollack and cant wait to see more of that no-personality ****** on the show. If more Corso, means less Pollack, then Lee can stay there until he dies on stage.
Stumpknocker
He makes more sense than Dave South.
Ian Neff
AG
91_Aggie said:

They are obviously grooming Pollack to take his place, so OP obviously loves Pollack and cant wait to see more of that no-personality ****** on the show. If more Corso, means less Pollack, then Lee can stay there until he dies on stage.

Pollack could beat me in a fight, in a race, in a vertical leap competition and in anything related to being awesome athletically.

But he is the WORST. I agree.
hph6203
AG
If you're jacking around in your job at the same age as Corso, then that's your fault. He's in a different business, he's in the entertainment business and he's still entertaining.
Azariah
AG
91_Aggie said:

Wtf are you talking about "no personality"? Pollack called out the crappiness of the You Had One Job segment while he was hosting the damn segment!
Azariah
AG
Oh, and I love Corso. I want to be him when I grow up. I hope he stays on until he keels over on the set. No graceful ride off into a slow decline. Just 100 mph college football passion until he croaks.
dixichkn
AG
Lee Corso, God bless him.......you love him for the same reason you love sawing varsity's horns off and yelling "hullabaloo caneck caneck"........it's corny, and sometimes it doesn't make sense, but it's tradition. It's a slowly disappearing link to the glory days that'll never be recovered once it's gone. I love that the students still love Corso wherever he goes. He's a Saturday morning icon.

Plus he had me for good the minute he dropped that f bomb on air at UH. So un-PC. It was beautiful.

TXAG 05
AG
yonose said:

I don't think he's incoherent because he's old. Me thinks he hits the booze a little too hard. He slurs most of the time like he's drunk.

Or, you know, the fact that he had a stroke.
hph6203
AG
Yup, ESPN used to be fun. Now it's all a bunch of seriousness and it sucks. People want to continue the staleness of the production by booting Corso for some former football player with little to no personality. No thanks.
Ag Tag
the question is: is some corso better than no corso?
McInnis80
This is College Gameday, not a hard news program. I think Lee and Dickie V. are ESPN legacies, and they are entitled to leave on their own terms. College Gameday is a huge money maker since it draws good rating (usually better than many games) and there are no rights fees. It also gives ESPN a way promote their brand and their programs, even when the featured game is not on the Worldwide Leader.

Who replaces Corso? Mack Brown?
BoilerTom90
I didn't realize people still watch ESPN, other than during the games.
bmc13
AG
i hope les miles gets a shot
Jock 07
AG
Mike Leach or Steve Spurrier
7Rings
AG
Corso is a good man. He had a stroke over a year ago and without him on set - Gameday isn't Gameday.
For those with the harsh criticism, go stare in the mirror. He loves college football and has done a great deal for the sport. He is also a giant fan of our university, traditions, and dedication to country.

The man has more than earned his place. He is my friend and and excellent role model.
All of us age and he deserves the respect he has certainly earned. Rest Army.

Gig'em.
dixichkn
AG
Jock 07 said:

Mike Leach or Steve Spurrier
Leach would be entertaining no doubt, but he's a bit too salty/grumpy to fit in on a show like Gameday. I'd love to see Spurrier. I think he'd fit in perfectly. The Mad Hatter wouldn't be bad either
Seven Costanza
AG
Spurrier is 73. I would rather have someone step in that could fill that role for 20 years.
Martin Cash
AG
I'd rather listen to Corso than Desmond Howard.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
dixichkn said:

Lee Corso, God bless him.......you love him for the same reason you love sawing varsity's horns off and yelling "hullabaloo caneck caneck"........it's corny, and sometimes it doesn't make sense, but it's tradition. It's a slowly disappearing link to the glory days that'll never be recovered once it's gone. I love that the students still love Corso wherever he goes. He's a Saturday morning icon.

Plus he had me for good the minute he dropped that f bomb on air at UH. So un-PC. It was beautiful.

Love Herbstreits reaction right when he hears it.
The Dog Lord
AG
Loved the fakeout a few weeks ago.

Post removed:
by user
Twelfthman99
AG
Daytime ESPN needs to return to its roots... Strong man competitions, long-drive tournaments, and competitive eating. I don't care who Stephen A. Smith thinks needs to get fired today.

Aston04
AG
The problem with Gameday is not Corso. The problem is the show is too long, with too much pre-packaged bs. Impossible to sit and watch for 3 hours.
Jock 07
AG
ESPN died when they killed the outdoor games
Loyalty
AG
Coach Corso has forgotten more about football than most of his critics know about the game. He's part of what makes the show so good. Will miss him when he's gone some day.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.