Story Poster
Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images
Texas A&M Football

Former Aggie hoops coach Billy Gillispie reflects on his time in Aggieland

October 5, 2018

Key notes from Billy Gillispie interview

• I love college football, it’s really hard to beat. It’s been so fun to watch. Of course, I am pulling for both schools, but I am excited to see what they are going to be able to do. I think with Coach Fisher coming in, they have been good, but that’s not what they are looking for. They don’t want to win some, they want to win "IT" (a championship). I thought what the Aggies did against Arkansas was as impressive as what they did against Clemson. They won a game when they weren’t making all of the plays, but they didn’t let Arkansas come in and take that game.

• When you think about the population at A&M, it’s hard working people for the most part. They value loyalty, dedication, and hard work. I think A&M teams reflect the student population. Texas A&M doesn’t build their program on entitled athletes. I think that’s what Aggies enjoy the most about Jimbo Fisher.

• Well I am enjoying it here at Ranger. I am working for my favorite AD, myself. Our president is very sports oriented and I enjoy working with him. I’ve been fortunate to be a part of a few “once in a lifetime” teams including my first team here and as well as my first at A&M. They had only won two games the year before I got here and then we ended up winning our first 32 and 35 total games on that season.

• I’m really not regretful about leaving A&M and I don't really think about it. I had to make some difficult moves but I felt like that was what I had to do. I’d rather burn out than fade away and I was trying to make A&M one of those blue blood type programs. We were off to a great start at Kentucky but we just got derailed by injuries late and went 8-8 in conference. That doesn't cut it in Lexington and I fully understood that.
Discussion from...

Former Aggie hoops coach Billy Gillispie reflects on his time in Aggieland

10,498 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Triple-T
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I am working for my favorite AD, myself.

NoahAg
Quote:

We were off to a great start at Kentucky but we just got derailed by injuries late booze. Lots and lots of booze. And DUIs.
FIFBilly
Bob Harris
Always felt he would have built a monster program here if he had stayed. And if we had given him a personal driver...
superunknown
AG
Quote:

I'm really not regretful about leaving A&M and I don't really think about it

What a blast. Cant imagine the hoops board reacting well.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Bob Harris said:

Always felt he would have built a monster program here if he had stayed. And if we had given him a personal driver...

Agreed. I don't get the hate for a coach moving up to a better program, but at best he would have just been doing his job even if he won a national title there. He could have become a legend with a statue outside the arena here if he could have continued improving the program.

I hope he succeeds, is happy, and healthy wherever he coaches.
sharpdressedman
He was a drunk, a scoundrel, and a ticking bomb that exploded at Kentucky.

Redemption is a wonderful thing. I hope he finds it. In the meantime, I don't care what he thinks.
Dark Helmet
Billy was the basketball coach when I was in undergrad.

No other A&M coach has bought me a drink. Or ten.

He is my friend and I wish him the best. He did what I would have done: left for more money and more prestige. It didn't work out for him, but we praise the people who manage to make it work so I can't crap on the guy. A&M isn't a basketball school.
Barely Stacked
AG
"
He nails it right here, so true about A&M and the football team we see before us.
  • When you think about the population at A&M, it's hard working people for the most part. They value loyalty, dedication, and hard work. I think A&M teams reflect the student population. Texas A&M doesn't build their program on entitled athletes. I think that's what Aggies enjoy the most about Jimbo Fisher"

• Double Diamond
    Miss seeing good coaching.
    Stumpknocker
    He and JFF have a lot in common. Great talent that was overwhelmed by addiction and lack of boundaries. Let's hope they both sort it out. It was great fun watching both of them.
    APHIS AG
    Quote:

I'd rather burn out than fade away and I was trying to make A&M one of those blue blood type programs.

Then he should have stayed. Winning basketball at a football school is much easier than winning basketball at a basketball school. Shelby Metcalf figured that out, Gillispie did not.
    Artimus Gordon
    BCG didn't really want to be here. It was just a stepping stone for him from day 1. In fact I think he despised the place while he was here. All that came full circle at Kentucky where all he had was entitled athletes and a fan base that despised him. He was a make something out of nothing coach who was like a fish out of water at UK.

His fall from grace landed him at purgatory tech. Then a further fall to the Juco ranks. The climb back is steep and has been littered with obstacles to the point he probably won't make it all the way back. There is a lesson to be learned in there somewhere.
    Lateralus Ag
    AG
    Stumpknocker said:

He and JFF have a lot in common. Great talent that was overwhelmed by addiction and lack of boundaries. Let's hope they both sort it out. It was great fun watching both of them.

He already said in that interview that your definition of success isn't his. I love sanctimonious twits that think they know better how to live other peoples lives.

Billy and Johnny are both just fine without your boundaries.
    Joe Schillaci 48
    AG
    If I remember correctly Arkansas was also hot on his trail. He did a lot for our program but he was going ......somewhere.

Kentucky got involved and it was over.........literally.

Best of luck to him and hopefully he has gotten the demons under control.

Triple-T
    AG
    TAMU was a stepping stone for basketball like U of H was for Football.

I wouldn't trade BCG's time here for anything.

Gig 'em.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.