Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Trevor Lawrence Injured

17,956 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cr0wbar
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DukeMu said:

Bryant's an idiot and a snowflake. He could have come in the game and "saved the day." Won his job back.

Some of the responses in this thread explains why some players feel entitled today.

The game of football is defined by its rules. When you see a certain trend in the game, it's because the rules reward the behavior. Don't hate on the players for doing what the rules encourage.
wtr1975
AG
Bryanisbest said:

if You assume Lawrence is better than Bryant, Dabo did the Bryant kid a favor by making the announcement before Bryant lost a year of eleigibilty. A selfish coach would have played him in the fifth game to make it much harder for Bryant to transfer. Dabo may have been mistaken about promoting Lawrence but was right about the rest of it.
Spot on as usual, Bryanisbest!
TXAGBQ76
AG
How tight are they? How much will he loose them?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Jalen decided to stay and graduate in December. He has options since he is graduating early. Saban has nothing to do with Jalen getting it done in the classroom and deciding to wait til December to leave.

TXAGBQ76
AG
And then sit the bench the rest of the games and lose his redshirt. He had no options, this would have been his fourth year and no redshirt option going forward.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Badly handled by Dabo because it was an easy to manage situation.
First, Bryant is a senior and Lawrence is a true freshman.
Bryant was the better player to start with due to his experience.
Start Bryant and play Lawrence some to get him experience for next year.
Keep Bryant as starter until you are losing a game due to poor QB play and see if Lawrence can lead you to a comeback win. If so, he becomes the starter.

I mean geez, their schedule was supposed to be a cakewalk after the game against us.

Dabo screwed the pooch on this one.
cc10106
Dabo was damned either way so he gave Bryant the chance to decide how to use his last year of eligibility. If Bryant had clearly been the better QB he would have been named the starter but he wasn't. Now Clemson gets to have their stud freshman QB with much higher upside and no drama.

We all saw Bryant's ceiling last year despite playing on a stacked team which was winning a down ACC and getting clowned by a Bama with Hurts at QB. Dabo did the right thing.
Arthur Stilwell
Heismenberg said:

Dabo was dumb for doing this. Look how Saban handled Tua/Jalen.

That's another reason why Saban's the GOAT...
Or could be Hurts only wants to play one more year after this season and then try his luck in the NFL.

If that's the case then it doesn't matter if he redshirts this year or not. After four years and he can't prove himself to be a potential NFL QB, that extra year is not going to matter.
John Francis Donaghy
Arthur Stilwell said:

Heismenberg said:

Or could be Hurts only wants to play one more year after this season and then try his luck in the NFL.

If that's the case then it doesn't matter if he redshirts this year or not. After four years and he can't prove himself to be a potential NFL QB, that extra year is not going to matter.

He has been pretty open about why he chose to stay at Bama. His goal is to reach the NFL, and his NFL skillset still has some pretty big gaps. He's staying at Bama because he's getting the best coaching possible to try to make himself an NFL QB.

He's done enough on the field already that he's going to get serious NFL looks. Now he's focused on getting as polished as possible to turn those looks into a career. Smart dude, totally focused on the big picture. Should serve him well in life.
AWP 97
AG
So is it okay for all players to transfer if they aren't starting or is it just okay for QBs?
SBDavis87
AG
What most posters are missing is the fact that Trev was the #1 quarterback recruit in the nation. To get #1 to attend your school , you must tell them "you won't waste any time sitting the bench with us" or the recruit won't attend your school. Once enrolled Trev was given a false narrative (newspeak for 'lies') if Kelly remains the starter.

Sorry boyz, that's just how reality works.

signed,
one of only 7 non-regs to see the freshman wrap in '85
TyperWoods
For all you dissing Bryant for "quitting", do you apply the same standard to Trevor Knight?

Let me guess, "it's different."
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

So is it okay for all players to transfer if they aren't starting or is it just okay for QBs?

I think so . . . it is pretty selfish to demand a kid stick with what he perceives as a bad situation or mistake or not the best long run place for him.

The only reason fans scream is that they want to win and because of that place the health of their particular athletic program over and above the individual team members.

It is kind of a dumb discussion anyway. Truly great programs don't really have an issue attracting and retaining and developing athletes. Do things right and kids won't want to bolt.

Arthur Stilwell
John Francis Donaghy said:

Arthur Stilwell said:

Heismenberg said:

He has been pretty open about why he chose to stay at Bama. His goal is to reach the NFL, and his NFL skillset still has some pretty big gaps. He's staying at Bama because he's getting the best coaching possible to try to make himself an NFL QB.

He's done enough on the field already that he's going to get serious NFL looks. Now he's focused on getting as polished as possible to turn those looks into a career. Smart dude, totally focused on the big picture. Should serve him well in life.
Yep...just like all those Bama QBs that are playing in the NFL right now.
LeftyAg89
AG
I would say this just applies primarily to QBs (and maybe K and P).
All the other positions require lots of rotation throughout the game and even practice.

QB is obviously unique, in that they pretty much play the entire game and take the vast majority of 1st team reps every practice.

-- ps I am father of a former college QB and he had to battle against 6 other QBs. Eventually he won the starting job and they moved 2-3 of the other QBs to different positions (safety, special teams, etc)... so if my son was named backup/3rd string, and his goal was to PLAY, and PLAY QB, then I wouldn't have any problem with him wanting to research and find another team where he could potentially play. After all, who wants to hold a clipboard every game?
KeoweeTiger76
I found it interesting to read through all of the posts back in September and October after Dabo benched Kelly Bryant and made TL the starter. That dumb decision turned out to be pretty dang smart! If Dabo had rotated both QBs, as some of you suggested and waited to start him his sophomore year, there is no doubt in the minds of knowledgeable football folks around the college football world, that Clemson would not have won the NC and, in such dominating fashion.

I wanted to also say that we had a great time in College Station on Sept. 8th and even attended Yell Practice. TAMU has one of the greatest traditions in the country and you showed it that Sept. evening. And, all of the fans that ran into on the way out of the stadium, were complimentary of Clemson and wished us well the rest of the way.

We look forward to having TAMU fans join us in Clemson next fall! Come tailgate with us in lot 2!
Mythotbetterthanyours
Had Trevor played the whole game in college station Clemson would have lost.
The Lost
Mythotbetterthanyours said:

And had they lost, they probably don't make they playoff with that schedule they played.
DGAG92
AG

He was 5 for 9 for 93 and a TD.......yeah.
Class of 1992
DGAG92
AG
The Lost said:

And had they lost, they probably don't make they playoff with that schedule they played.

Did you see Oklahomers schedule?
Class of 1992
Mythotbetterthanyours
Dgrimesag92 said:

He was 5 for 9 for 93 and a TD.......yeah.

Did you see the game?? Got lucky on first throw against Oliver for all those stats. Rest of his throws were bad. Don't think you watched the game....

There's a reason Bryant came in and never left again
Lateralus Ag
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

The Lost said:

Did you see Oklahomers schedule?

Did you see sips schedule? Maryland is a blue chip for sure.
dixichkn
AG
That night, TL definitely looked like a true freshman. You could see the talent was there but he just didn't quite have it all nailed down yet. I agree, Bryant saved Clemson's bacon that night.

Well, Bryant and the review booth. But I digress.......
500,000ags
AG
Bryant got them out of CS with a win.

Lawrence had the one lame duck throw when Tucker absolutely whiffed on the tackle.
Tamu_mgm
AG
TL had a learning curve as a freshman, only it happened much more quickly than most freshman. After their game against Syracuse, the switch came on and he was a different QB. He also had Etienne and that line help him tremendously in pass pro, and having the defense respect the run was huge in his development.

TL is obviously still arguably the best QB in college football, but if A&M can get consistent pressure on him, then we got a chance. Their OL did lose 2-3 starters after all.
Kill Switch
I think my TV needs repair, I'm not seeing the same game you guys are. When I watch Trevor Lawerance I see the second coming of Payton Manning. Hell I see a kid who is better than both Payton Manning and John Elway at the same point in their careers.

He might go down as the best ever. He is huge, 6'6 and able to move well.

He can read defenses like a pro
He has a arm like a canon and can make every throw on the tree.
He has great touch and near perfect ball placement.

This kid is by far the real deal. Don't let your maroon glasses fool you, win or lose, it is going to be a pleasure to face Clemson and watch this kid play. It will be something to tell your grand kids about.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Kill Switch said:

I think my TV needs repair, I'm not seeing the same game you guys are. When I watch Trevor Lawerance I see the second coming of Payton Manning. Hell I see a kid who is better than both Payton Manning and John Elway at the same point in their careers.

He might go down as the best ever. He is huge, 6'6 and able to move well.

He can read defenses like a pro
He has a arm like a canon and can make every throw on the tree.
He has great touch and near perfect ball placement.

This kid is by far the real deal. Don't let your maroon glasses fool you, win or lose, it is going to be a pleasure to face Clemson and watch this kid play. It will be something to tell your grand kids about.

He is good. One of the best ever.

I will still tell my grandkids about Johnny Manziel long before I tell them about old long hair.
cr0wbar
AG
well look at that. Dabo Swinney knows more than some of you guys. lolol
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.