Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cut the cord? - How to watch games

7,329 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ferg
hook60
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I feel ignorant asking this, but looking for advice on best way to watch games. I currently have Direct TV, but I'm tired of paying the bill. The only thing I watch is Aggie football which so far has been on SEC, ESPN, and CBS. Is there a way to stream single games so I can cut the cord?
Seamaster
AG
CBS.

HD antenna.

The others (espn, sec etc) - HULU or Sling

texancanuck11
Yeah DirectTV is overpriced garbage. I've used Sling in the past and it worked pretty well. I'm currently using YoutubeTV and I like it. It has some DVR space so you can record games also.
AgEng06
AG
YouTubeTV has been great for us this season.
chigger
AG
Hulu live. Seen every game I've wanted to.
Sharpshooter
AG
PlayStation Vue via Roku has done me well.
Bocaj
AG
We have been using YouTube TV as well and has worked great. You can pause and record whenever you want as well which is something I wasnt able to do when we were using Sling TV
agnerd
AG
See the Nerdery:
Help me pick a streaming service
S.A. Aggie
AG
I got Sling. Cheap. Month to month. $25 for a basic package + $5 for the Sports package. More football than I can watch.No extra fees.
Fannie Luddite
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

I got Sling. Cheap. Month to month. $25 for a basic package + $5 for the Sports package. More football than I can watch.No extra fees.
I don't think Sling carries CBS, which is airing the Bama game, nor any of the Fox stations, such as FS1.
BMX Bandit
YouTubeTV is much much better than Sling
Post removed:
by user
Racer X
AG
I dumped Direct TV for PS Vue. No probs thus far except they need to work on how they list college football games.
Max Power
AG
Firestick + PS Vue + HD Antenna, and it's about 1/3 of what I was paying Dish Network. Plus there's no contract so you can switch providers at any time.
theeyetest
Racer X said:

I dumped Direct TV for PS Vue. No probs thus far except they need to work on how they list college football games.
Same! Also agree on them needing to show who's actually playing before you have to click on the channel.
A is A
AG
Hulu Live.
BombayAg
siclaro said:

S.A. Aggie said:

I don't think Sling carries CBS, which is airing the Bama game, nor any of the Fox stations, such as FS1.

Use an antenna and watch the game for free in HD. I have SD Comcast but will watch the Bama game via simple cheap antenna that I bought at Walmart
deadbq03
AG
I've had Sling, YouTubeTV, and PS Vue.

If all you care about is Aggie Football AND you can get CBS on HD antenna then Sling is your cheapest/best option.

If you're like me and want to watch the occasional game on the Fox Sports channels then I recommend YouTubeTV. It's the cheapest/best way to get access to all college football content.

It might have gotten better, but I found PS Vue to totally not meet my needs. Their Roku interface is clunky... Evidently it looks much nicer on a PS4. They also completely lack an ability to watch on a computer whereas the other two can do that so it's good if you have to travel.
gigemags-99
AG
I use a firestick, sling, and an HD antenna. I cancel sling after college football season.
bjraggie10
AG
AgEng06 said:

YouTubeTV has been great for us this season.
+1 for YouTube TV

You get all the major networks and ESPN channels including SEC Network (which I didn't get when I was paying Cox $200+/month). It has been a great money saver without sacrificing live sports.
NoahAg
This week: cheap HD antenna and watch on CBS.
Next week: free 7-day trail of YouTube TV to watch on ESPN.
Following week: free 7-day trail of Hulu Live to watch on ESPN.
Week after: free 7-day trail of Sling to watch on ESPN.
Week after that: local pub

UAB game: $10 tickets on Stubhub
JCRiley09
AG
I have a cheap set of bunny ears that gets CBS in HD, but DirecTV Now (their streaming service) has most locals, including CBS. I had PSVue, but did not have access to locals unless through bunny ears.

AppleTV + DirecTV Now is the way to go.
ThatOneAg
+1 for YouTubeTV
agproducer
AG
Here's more info on cord cutting. I put together this long post last year. It's a little dated when it comes to pricing, etc., but many of the principles still stand. Vue still works for Aggie football.

Cord Cutting for Beginners

FtLauderdaleAg91
AG
If you are in a market where YouTube TV offers your local channels, it's a great deal. We went 100% Roku with YouTube TV in Raleigh, NC and said audiose to DirecTV after MANY years. Don't miss ANYTHING and save ~$100/mo. With Roku, there are hundreds of "channels", like YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu, ESPN, etc., all of which are really like apps with dozens of channels in each one.

If you have good broadband, it's a no brainer!
We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
Flashdiaz
AG
youtube tv and psvue are both good. Only thing I don't like about psvue is if you dvr college football, it records all the games. oh and the lack of description of who is playing is kind of a pain.

I still have directv.... I keep calling to cancel and they keep giving me discounts. I'm paying $40 right now which means they're obviously hurting. I still plan on cancelling though, I don't like the archaic box and would rather use my roku.
Jimi_Rod
AG
We use PSVue. Only drawback is getting texts from friends seconds before you see the play. There is a slight delay between streaming and cable.
hook60
Great info. Thanks!
gig_this
Firestick, then download Aptoide TV to get Mobdro, FreeFlixHQ, Morpheus and Terrarium. More everything (and I mean everything XXX) than I can watch. Quality often suffers, but for catching a game here or there (CFL/JFF), its okay. Don't ask me if its legal.
Mordred
AG
YoutubeTV is awesome and cheap. My wife even loves it.

They've got every channel you could possibly want as a sports fan, unless you like dumpster fires because they don't carry the LHN.
AgsWin2011
AG
We have DTV Now and like it. It has way more channels than all the other streaming services (except maybe PS Vue but is cheaper). I would rather go with YouTube TV but they don't offer some of the channels that Mrs. Heismenberg likes to watch. They have everything I watch. Damn Lifetime and HGTV....
Dr.HeadCase
AG
Stay away from Sling. They are the cheapest, but they have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. They were supposed to send us a free Roku as part of signing up for several months of service. They sent it to the wrong address, and refuse to send me another one and will not refund me the advanced payments. Just look at their customer reviews and you will see how many people have had sketchy issues with them, like continuing to charge them after they cancel.
Buck Nasty
AG
Your parents' login info
Bill Superman
AG
How do you watch the Astros and Rockets after cutting the cord?
Ferg
With any of the services also download the ESPN (and Fox sports) app and authenticate it. It gives you some nice redundancy, just in case.

I have used Sling and YTTV and both work well for the ESPN channels. PS Vue also gets high marks from everything I've read.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.