Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Unintended consequences of new redshirting rule

3,655 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
Toptierag2018
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Several Auburn players are now transferring before they play in 4 games to be able to keep an extra year of eligibility.

Will we see this more often at schools where players will wait until week 4, see where they stack up on the depth chart, and then transfer?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Maybe. But, it beats making up BS about your former program and claiming hardship.

I like the 4 game rule.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

Several Auburn players are now transferring before they play in 4 games to be able to keep an extra year of eligibility.

Will we see this more often at schools where players will wait until week 4, see where they stack up on the depth chart, and then transfer?

Maybe. I don't care though. The new redshirt rule is badass.
BMX Bandit
not seeing the downside of this.

they tell you know they are transferring, so you don't waste time on them in practice or games.

v

they tell you at end of season they are transferring, and all that practice time could have been given to someone else.
tk for tu juan
At least the team gets to know their open scholarship spots before early signing period
NoahAg
Toptierag2018 said:

hmm, oh, uh.

by Felicia
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'm not sure that keeps 4 years of eligibility, unless that was also changed. Athletes have 5 years to play 4 seasons. Transfers still have to sit a year. So if they play 4 or fewer games at Auburn then transfer, they sit a year, so they've enrolled 2 years, so they would have 3 left.

greg.w.h
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I'm not sure that keeps 4 years of eligibility, unless that was also changed. Athletes have 5 years to play 4 seasons. Transfers still have to sit a year. So if they play 4 or fewer games at Auburn then transfer, they sit a year, so they've enrolled 2 years, so they would have 3 left.

That appears correct: playing four or fewer games avoids the tearing of the current season's redshirt. And transferring consumes an additional season of eligibility.

Exceptions likely for things like medical injuries or serious NCAA penalties only.

But the likelihood of further liberalization of transfer rules is very, very, very high.
NyAggie
AG
I don't see players transferring before they play 4 games as having anything to do with the new redshirt rule

If you play 3 games, you transfer, you have already used your fish year as a redshirt then have to burn a yeart after transferring at our new school

so you then have 3 to play 3

you have llost a year, as opposed to staying at your original school, playing 4 games as a redshirt year then have 4 more to play 4

with the new rule it pays to stay where you are as you don't have to waste a year sitting out due to transfer

rbcs_2
AG
If these players have currently been on the field through the first few weeks of the season, wouldn't that mean they stack up rather well in the depth chart?
JJxvi
AG
I think these players would be allowed to play after week 4 of the very next season, not sit out a whole additional year. I think its literally that you sit out a year in calendar terms.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Here is the article:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/09/20/auburn-football-transfer-jalen-harris-nate-craig-myers-jayvaughn-myers-ncaa-redshirt/1370961002/

One is a senior TE who never gets thrown to. One is a DB who never plays. Another is a "starting WR" who never gets thrown to.

The DB already redshirted and will have to sit next year. The WR will use next year as his RS year. The TE will RS this year and transfer as a graduate in Spring.

It makes sense- none were big contributors, or would not have been released. It gives Malzahn 3 more scholarships starting in the spring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.