Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How many on here put a lot of blame and hate toward DeLoss Dodds?

13,950 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TPS_Report
Agsuffering@bulaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Us being defined in relation to them was the problem in the first place. It limited us.

We know who we are, we know what our values are. We are a major research institution and the sole Texas representative of the greatest collegiate conference. They are nothing but a series of speed bumps ending about 8 miles back.
HoustonAg2014
AG
With 100% certainty, I can assure you that everyone from President Young all the way to Jimbo Fisher know the history of the horns and their antics. President Young, Chancellor Sharp, and Woodward are all aligned in not playing then for a LONG time. Long as in as long as any of those 3 are still at Texas A&M. I can only hope that when there is a change at the top in these three positions, the new administration holds the horns in the same regard. We will not play the horns as long as Young is with A&M. You can take that to the bank.
Krazykat
AG
We moved on and it just kills them! Lol. We have nothing to prove to them. We're in the big boy conference and those are the ones we should be worried about.
DecadePlan
AG
Best thing that ever happened to us, Deloss was. Now, couldn't be more indifferent.

The one that still sticks in my craw though was Ken Starr. That charade he put on about families and Texas football Saturdays.

All while his players were molesting women and his precious coach was turning a blind eye.
CatmanBoo
andyv94 said:

Bottlehead90 said:

DeLoss' arrogance got us to go to the SEC

We should build a statue for him

But never schedule Belmont again

Hate?? I love the guy!!!! His actions put us in the SEC and is destroying tu at the same time!! We should build a statue right next to Kyle Field in his honor
that's what he said, you must've quoted the wrong post.
Skull Session
I don't even know why this business about the sips enters some of your feeble minds.

The big12 isn't going anywhere. It is here to stay. The other conferences are full to the brim and taking on new members lessens the revenue pool for the remaining members.

Texas isn't going anywhere. Tech, Tcu, Baylor will make sure that the horns stay in a conference with them. No other conference is willing to take all four of them. Absolutely no one from the pac12 is saying, oh my gosh we need to bring in four Texas schools to save our conference. The scheduling with the pac12 would be an expensive nightmare.

The big10 has already taken on enough dead weight football in their last expansion. it doesn't need anymore. The conference is already foundering because of intersectional humiliating losses of their football programs. And how much mileage has Ohio state gotten out of beating Tcu. Woohoo the buckeyes beat the frogs, put a feather in their caps. And they had to struggle to do it. The big10 does not need anymore mediocrity they are set for the future.

The big12 serves a useful purpose in keeping a bunch of Midwest programs from being a burden on the remaining conferences. There is no national impetus that says the other conferences need to absorb the remnants of the big 12.

Deloss' corral conference that he envisioned in 2010-11 as an easy path to the championship has become a prison for the sips. They can't get out of it. No other conference wants to take on the burden of upsetting a current conference by taking on one or two teams.

It's the same reason why the big12 didn't expand. Two more teams didn't add value to the conference as a whole. The SEC, ACC, Big10, PAc12 See no reason for expansion. The pac12 may have tv revenue problems compared to the eastern conferences, but
taking on big12 teams is no guarantee of a cure and could easily be a huge liability. The pac12 don't need anymore financial burdens.

All this chatter about conference switching is coming out of Austin, and nowhere else, because the sips have realized that they are locked in for the forseeable future. They have made their bed and they need to ride it out.

BVAg85
AG
Sip arrogance makes them look down on a&m and they say the most asinine things about a&m. Yet, suddenly, they want what we have. They want to be in the SEC so bad they can taste. So many of them believe they have enough clout to demand a&m be kicked out as a prerequisite for them joining. They are getting just a tiny taste of what a&m lived with for years and their heads explode at the thought of playing second fiddle in Texas. In a few short years they are becoming what a&m used to be in regards to the football world.
MD20/20
AG
I repeat myself but **** tu and everybody that looks like them and the little stick horse they rode in on while wearing their little chaps.
And also, **** tu.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
King
AG
101%Ag said:

That burned all bridges for me, and I actually have a degree from that place.

User name does not check out
101%Ag
King said:

101%Ag said:

Ha! That actually dovetails with this thread.

BSME from A&M. MBA from tu. I was even president of my graduating class there. (Something something Aggie leadership in a dysfunctional world something.) Still took me a few years to get to a point where I would root for the whorns AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT PLAYING A&M OR THEIR WINNING DID NOT ADVERSELY AFFECT A&M. Reflecting that, when I joined TexAgs, I chose a username of 90%Ag.

Once we found the promised land in the SEC, I was stuck with that name, right up until the time I got a permaban for going jihad on Looch in a whiskey-infused post game rant. It was my position that if he just asked Summy some tougher questions, that would solve all the idiocy of our coaching staff.

When I eventually found grace and was allowed back into the Zoo, I chose a new name that left no room for that soulless perversion emanating from Austin. Now, I have to know you pretty well before I break the news that I went to that place.

Look, we all have sins in our past. Don't judge.

(Now I just have to hope that my bringing up the ban does not raise a flag that gets this account banned, too. Surely, grace and redemption are real.)
ABATTBQ11
AG
Maybe they should both suck less and see each other in the SECCG if they want it that bad.
Jeff Patel
AG
Texas A&M's President T Bowen Loftin dealt extensively with Deloss Dodds during the conference realignment period.

If you want to know how that went, please read Loftin's book " The 100-Year Decision: Texas A&M and the SEC".

This is from a USA Today article on March 19, 2013 " Texas and rival Texas A&M will play again, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds told The Daily Texan, the university's student newspaper, but it'll be on the Longhorns' terms

."They left," Dodds said of A&M, which left the Big 12 and joined the SEC in 2012. "They're the ones that decided not to play us. We get to decide when we play again. I think that's fair.
"If you did a survey of our fans about playing A&M, they don't want to. It's overwhelming. I know. I hear it. Our fans are important to us. I think there's got to be a period where things get different. I think there's too many hard feelings."

Any questions ?
King
AG
101%Ag said:

King said:

101%Ag said:

Ha! That actually dovetails with this thread.

BSME from A&M. MBA from tu. I was even president of my graduating class there. (Something something Aggie leadership in a dysfunctional world something.) Still took me a few years to get to a point where I would root for the whorns AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT PLAYING A&M OR THEIR WINNING DID NOT ADVERSELY AFFECT A&M. Reflecting that, when I joined TexAgs, I chose a username of 90%Ag.

Once we found the promised land in the SEC, I was stuck with that name, right up until the time I got a permaban for going jihad on Looch in a whiskey-infused post game rant. It was my position that if he just asked Summy some tougher questions, that would solve all the idiocy of our coaching staff.

When I eventually found grace and was allowed back into the Zoo, I chose a new name that left no room for that soulless perversion emanating from Austin. Now, I have to know you pretty well before I break the news that I went to that place.

Look, we all have sins in our past. Don't judge.

(Now I just have to hope that my bringing up the ban does not raise a flag that gets this account banned, too. Surely, grace and redemption are real.)
This made me laugh. Good story
rootube
AG
ELGINAG said:

rootube said:

I swear people on here care more about the B12 than horn fans. Dodds made their 100 year decision and it was the correct one in both the long term and the short term. Short term it makes Texas one of the richest and most valuable sports franchises in the world. Long term if/when the B12 dies the Longhorns will go independant or likely take their pick of any conference they choose. Show me how any of this hurts the Longhorns. Again I expect Sharp and Woodward to make decisions based on what is best for Texas A&M not the SEC. Right now those two interests happen to be in perfect sync.

We just need to thank our lucky stars that their 100 year decision helped make ours possible. On a side note the real losers here are the journalists who used to get a paycheck from ESPN, I wonder if they got longhorn network merch as part of their severance package.

Take their pick of conferences?? Weren't they already turned down by PAC, ACC and Big 10? Who's left, SEC?? Truly delusional sip think to believe they can go wherever they want. I hope they DO go independant. Then we will see exactly how valuable the Jonses are.They can't go Anywhere else with their fashion show/women's volleyball network.
Had a better offer is not the same as turned down. Do people really believe that Texas would fall to the Conference USA in a college football realignment?
SchizoAg
AG
rootube said:

ELGINAG said:

rootube said:

I swear people on here care more about the B12 than horn fans. Dodds made their 100 year decision and it was the correct one in both the long term and the short term. Short term it makes Texas one of the richest and most valuable sports franchises in the world. Long term if/when the B12 dies the Longhorns will go independant or likely take their pick of any conference they choose. Show me how any of this hurts the Longhorns. Again I expect Sharp and Woodward to make decisions based on what is best for Texas A&M not the SEC. Right now those two interests happen to be in perfect sync.

We just need to thank our lucky stars that their 100 year decision helped make ours possible. On a side note the real losers here are the journalists who used to get a paycheck from ESPN, I wonder if they got longhorn network merch as part of their severance package.

Take their pick of conferences?? Weren't they already turned down by PAC, ACC and Big 10? Who's left, SEC?? Truly delusional sip think to believe they can go wherever they want. I hope they DO go independant. Then we will see exactly how valuable the Jonses are.They can't go Anywhere else with their fashion show/women's volleyball network.
Had a better offer is not the same as turned down. Do people really believe that Texas would fall to the Conference USA in a college football realignment?
Define "a college football realignment"?

Do you mean something that can actually happen, or some hypothetical scenario that is predicated on some counterfactual assumption?

In the real world, as it exists today, t.u. is persona non grata in the SEC. To the Big 10 and Pac 10, the LHN is an unacceptable poison pill. And the ACC is a terrible geographic fit.

No, I'm not claiming that they will "fall to CUSA". The most likely scenario is that t.u. will remain mired in the Big 12.
test sig
rootube
AG
SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

ELGINAG said:

rootube said:

Do you mean something that can actually happen, or some hypothetical scenario that is predicated on some counterfactual assumption?

In the real world, as it exists today, t.u. is persona non grata in the SEC. To the Big 10 and Pac 10, the LHN is an unacceptable poison pill. And the ACC is a terrible geographic fit.

No, I'm not claiming that they will "fall to CUSA". The most likely scenario is that t.u. will remain mired in the Big 12.
Is a scenario hypothetical if we literally just went through a major conference re-alignment in '11-'12? Of course it may never happen in which case the Longhorn long term prospects are fine in the B12. They are absolutely not "persona non grata". They would just have to re-negotiate their TV rights with ESPN, something they are going to have to do anyway at the end of the current contract. Trust me ESPN dreams of the day when they can fold the horns into an existing conference deal and stop paying ransom for the turd horn network. Either way they are not going to get a refund for the money they invested in the Horns.

PabloSerna
AG
Texas is like an old dame that looked good back in the day, but looks weather beaten now. I feel bad for them because they made this bed and now they have to sleep in it. Meanwhile here we are in the SEC trying to get up to speed and spending big bucks in the process. Exciting times to say the least.

Maybe DeLoss saw this coming? Naa.. he just saw the money. So glad we joined a conference that spreads the wealth. The game this weekend should be a prime example to us that Bow Tie made a great decision!

+Gig'EM!!

aeon-ag
101%Ag said:

A thread is bumping along on SECRant for the regular rotation of "Texas A&M is scared to play Texas" crap.

I posted a thing on there that I was not hardcore anti-sip until DeLoss Dodds made it so personal and went scorched earth on the whole thing. That burned all bridges for me, and I actually have a degree from that place.

Regardless of where you are on the "play them or not" thing, how much of your hatred of that hell hole comes from that chapter of the past? For me, it is upwards of 80%. Call me petty, but **** their arrogant ***es and all their Walmart fans.
Hate? NO! A&M stepped up to the big league because of ol' Deloss, he did us a favor. Do I want to play them again, Why?!
SchizoAg
AG
rootube said:

SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

ELGINAG said:

rootube said:

Is a scenario hypothetical if we literally just went through a major conference re-alignment in '11-'12? Of course it may never happen in which case the Longhorn long term prospects are fine in the B12. They are absolutely not "persona non grata". They would just have to re-negotiate their TV rights with ESPN, something they are going to have to do anyway at the end of the current contract. Trust me ESPN dreams of the day when they can fold the horns into an existing conference deal and stop paying ransom for the turd horn network. Either way they are not going to get a refund for the money they invested in the Horns.
You keep asserting without evidence that the SEC would have no problems doing business with t.u. because of their irresistible marquee value. But you're wrong. There are too many members of the SEC who have done business with t.u. and remember what a terrible business partner they are. Then there is the "gentleman's agreement" which would require Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky to stab A&M and Arkansas in the back to let in t.u. That just isn't how the SEC works. There's plenty of evidence for the SEC sacrificing a little money for the sake of more important goals. We've got money to burn, but goodwill, mutual respect and solidarity can't be bought with money.

Nebraska would also fight tooth and nail to keep them out of the Big 10, but they might lose that battle. (That's assuming t.u. got rid of the LHN and was able to surmount the political obstacles to jettison its Gaylor/Tard/Purple Gaylor baggage. ESPN can't "fold the LHN into a conference network" there, because the Big 10 already has a conference network, affiliated with FOX.)
test sig
GSPag`
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Still took me a few years to get to a point where I would root for the whorns AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT PLAYING A&M OR THEIR WINNING DID NOT ADVERSELY AFFECT A&M.

We compete with them for every good recruit in the state. Recruiting is a zero-sum game. About the only time them winning helps us is when tu is down but upsets good ou teams.
Barely Stacked
AG
As time has passed I view Delos Dodds as a necessary evil that had to be there for us to get to the SEC and better days. Think of it as a short term loss for a huge long term gain. That is how I now view Delos Dodds.
jasonrgr
Thats ridiculous. If Dods made the right decision than why do they want to play us again? Only now because they need us. I do agree with you he doesnt deserve hate but nor does he warrant any thanks. All praise should be for President Bowtie, by whos leadership, decided to chose our own path, write our own history, without bowing to the selfish sip demands. His vision for greatness has put us on the big stage. BTHOB
GSPag`

jasonrgr

One great rookie post. You hit the exactness of what happened.

Deloss protected and promoted tu to everyone elses demise. Then we all bailed (well those of us with a place to bail to). And T. Bowen Bowtie went to battle and carried us to the promise land. And left the 40 acres as pillars of salt.

Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
We are in the catbird seat. The tradition of winning the SEC West division every 2 or 3 years is coming with Jimbo and having the largest student body in the SEC.
Win and all will be good. Forget about the sissy boys in hippie town who get kissed by their never up to par coach.
Texas is an SEC state baby!!!
Lasuro81
AG
Forget tu in the SEC. We have no incentive to add them. Why give them any advantage in recruiting as an SEC member when we are finally kicking their asses in recruiting now? Let them have our sloppy seconds and keep fielding the POS teams we've seen at DKR lately. They think beating a pitiful USC team means something. It does. USC just sucks that much more that the sips. **** 'em. I over the whorns.
AgNav93
AG
The only reason they want to play us again is for recruiting. If they ever get good again look for them to really push it. They're just trying to crash the party. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend showing up at your wedding.
SomnambulantDirective
AgNav93 said:

The only reason they want to play us again is for recruiting. If they ever get good again look for them to really push it. They're just trying to crash the party. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend showing up at your wedding.
yeah but what if the crazy ex-girlfriend showing up at your wedding is just your current fiancee's hot twin sister?

I don't think I'd mind then. Would make for one helluva honeymoon.
101%Ag
SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

SchizoAg said:

rootube said:

ELGINAG said:

rootube said:

You keep asserting without evidence that the SEC would have no problems doing business with t.u. because of their irresistible marquee value. But you're wrong. There are too many members of the SEC who have done business with t.u. and remember what a terrible business partner they are. Then there is the "gentleman's agreement" which would require Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky to stab A&M and Arkansas in the back to let in t.u. That just isn't how the SEC works. There's plenty of evidence for the SEC sacrificing a little money for the sake of more important goals. We've got money to burn, but goodwill, mutual respect and solidarity can't be bought with money.

Nebraska would also fight tooth and nail to keep them out of the Big 10, but they might lose that battle. (That's assuming t.u. got rid of the LHN and was able to surmount the political obstacles to jettison its Gaylor/Tard/Purple Gaylor baggage. ESPN can't "fold the LHN into a conference network" there, because the Big 10 already has a conference network, affiliated with FOX.)
Again, I think everybody keeps missing the most basic obstacle, and it actually has nothing to do with their well-documented arrogance and cancerous presence.

The Whorns add no money to the pile.

The issue is not how much they have. The issue is how much INCREMENTAL money they bring that is then shared. You think "SEC" stands for "Socialism et Communism"? You don't sign up and then turn over your own cash from ticket sales, licensing, etc.

The distribution comes from revenue generated from television contracts, bowl games, the College Football Playoff, the SEC football championship game, the SEC men's basketball tournament, NCAA championships and a supplemental surplus distribution. (Copied that from an article online.)

From Wikipedia: On January 13, 2014, Sports Business Journal reported that ESPN was seeking a carriage rate of $1.30 per-subscriber per month in SEC markets, and $0.25 in non-SEC markets;

Now, what part of that is INCREASED by the whorns being here by an amount MORE than the amount that would be paid out them as a member? Our presence already invokes the higher subscription rate for the SECN inside the conference footprint, and that won't be charged twice with the addition of Texas.

Unless their presence add another SECCG, expands the CFP, or ESPN somehow is able to add ANOTHER dollar to the subscription rate, they are a net negative on the money to the other schools.
SchizoAg
AG
Your information is current, but it won't be current forever. Cord-cutting is a massive trend, and the college sports funding landscape is changing. The importance of state-by-state cable subscription fees is going to decrease. I don't think you can say with confidence that in the near future the sips won't be able to bring a significant incremental revenue boost. At that point, them being terrible business partners returns as the dominant factor in why they can't come to the SEC. So kindly stop dismissing people's arguments on a basis that you can't be sure of.
test sig
101%Ag
SchizoAg said:

Your information is current, but it won't be current forever. Cord-cutting is a massive trend, and the college sports funding landscape is changing. The importance of state-by-state cable subscription fees is going to decrease. I don't think you can say with confidence that in the near future the sips won't be able to bring a significant incremental revenue boost. At that point, them being terrible business partners returns as the dominant factor in why they can't come to the SEC. So kindly stop dismissing people's arguments on a basis that you can't be sure of.

What the heck? All I'm saying is that you can set side the emotional and cultural stuff (where you can't depend on politicians and university leaders) and look at the money (where you can) to see that there is every reason in the world to not water down the conference.

I'm not saying that other stuff is not valid. I'm just saying the money is a much more reliable argument.

Why does that merit the grit in your reply?
McInnis80
Texas had an opportunity to join the SEC. Dodds would not give up the control and competitive advantage the Horns had in the Big 12. Then they doubled down with the Longhorn Network. The Aggies took advantage of their SEC offer. That ship has sailed and it won't be in Austin anytime soon.
TPS_Report
AG
Dodds is not the reason I despise those turdlickers, though he certainly was an embodiment of that university's hubris.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.