Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How many on here put a lot of blame and hate toward DeLoss Dodds?

13,941 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TPS_Report
101%Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A thread is bumping along on SECRant for the regular rotation of "Texas A&M is scared to play Texas" crap.

I posted a thing on there that I was not hardcore anti-sip until DeLoss Dodds made it so personal and went scorched earth on the whole thing. That burned all bridges for me, and I actually have a degree from that place.

Regardless of where you are on the "play them or not" thing, how much of your hatred of that hell hole comes from that chapter of the past? For me, it is upwards of 80%. Call me petty, but **** their arrogant ***es and all their Walmart fans.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I wanted to play the game. When they took their ball and went home, my desire to play them began to diminish. Now, I'm fine with watching them struggle from afar.

Prepare for the "wrong board" posts that are coming.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Bottlehead90
AG
DeLoss' arrogance got us to go to the SEC

We should build a statue for him

But never schedule Belmont again
Flashdiaz
AG
I don't care what 1 man thinks... that whole institution acts and behaves in a way that I want nothing to do with them.
Bottlehead90
AG
And Belmont wants to play the game because they can't sell tickets
chevy con queso
AG
It's amazing how many sips I've spoken to that tell a completely different story regarding our leaving the BDF. In their eyes, we are the aggressors. I tell them if they have to look at one thing, just examine the actions and statements of Deloss Dodds. The entire "**** is scared to play" argument is delusional fabrication after you read that chain of events.

Not one of them will read any of it though. They aren't going to open their minds now, or ever, because it might mean they are wrong. It just isn't the sip way.

Glad he did what he did in the end though. Just wish we'd have had a better outcome in the last game, but if there's a silver lining, it's that it stands testament to how full of it they are.
Flashdiaz
AG
and the 'scared to play' line instantly makes the user of that line dumb as ****.

We went to the toughest division in the toughest conference in the nation.
OrygunAg
AG
I grew up looking forward to bonfire, tgiving game. Sure I missed it at first, but most Ags have replaced that one game with 3 or 4 each year that matter nationally. What is in it for us? Nothing. We've moved on, so can they.
TyperWoods
I wanted the game to continue. When they said "no", and the way they said "no", I'm fine with never playing them again in anything.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Hate?? I love the guy!!!! His actions put us in the SEC and is destroying tu at the same time!! We should build a statue right next to Kyle Field in his honor
boxing after dark
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

This.
fulshearAg96
AG
This weekends tu / usc game was the first time I've watched any part of a tu game in a long time... I haven't missed much
TMartin
DeLoss Dodds was a symptom but the disease was state sponsored tu money and culture.
Schrute Farms
Geriatric Punk said:

Prepare for the "wrong board" posts that are coming.

AFR because our current status in the SEC is also still uneasy.

r/CFB has a thread discussing the disruption of SEC rivalries since Mizzou and A&M entered the SEC. Auburn will play in Florida once over a 22 year period due to the expansion. Mizzou and A&M aren't receiving as much love as expected.

The narrative for why the expansion occurred and why we exited the BDF seems to change more every year. Dodds' arrogance and A&M's value to the SEC during the expansion race should always be remembered.
TMartin
Wait until the SEC expands again.
PFG
AG
Quote:

I was not hardcore anti-sip until DeLoss Dodds made it so personal and went scorched earth on the whole thing.

How many decades did you spend under a rock?

The reasons to hate sip date back well, well before Deloss spilled drool on his microphone during our move to the SEC.
Windy City Ag
AG
Dodds to me was a classic example of the Longhorns' inflated and inaccurate perception of their true worth. He struck all sorts of moronic and destructive deals that have continually blown up in Longhorns face. He was a track coach from Kansas State who overplayed his hand for too many years.
HoustonAg2014
AG
I for one thank Dodds. His arrogance reflects the arrogance of that whole fan base and it took his arrogance for our administration to finally make a change. I loved playing that game at the time, but when you see greener grass, you never look back. I will never look back and I prefer playing these other BIG TIME out of conference games that have playoff implications.

When their fans start begging for the game, THAT is when you know you made the right move. Don't help them out ever. Let them burn and watch. Saying we are scared to play the horns is laughable. We are so scared that we play Bama, Clemson, Miami, ND, LSU, Georgia, ect...

Easy response is "we would rather play more exciting teams in more exciting destinations than playing the longhorns."
McInnis80
They have a bad home conference schedule this year. And they will have a bad home conference schedule next year. The only way they can sell season tickets is to have a major home non conference game every year. Unless the Oklahoma game becomes a home and home game, this means they only have six home games a year.

The Aggies have 4 home SEC games in odd years and 3 in even years. (at least until the Arkansas contract at Jerry World ends) We also have a Power Five home game in the even years. Every year we have 3 guarantee games against non P-5 schools, giving us 7 home games. The extra home game is one reason A&M football makes so much money. It's not our job to fix their problems. I guarantee you that if we were in the same boat they would happily throw us an anvil.

I think 40 years in the wilderness is appropriate punishment for the Horns building their "golden calf" of the LHN.
Kenneth_2003
AG
In hindsight...

Hey Bill Powers & DeLoss

Miles711
AG
New conference, who dis?
jimscott85
AG
Horns are the bitcoin of college football. There's really nothing of substance supporting their supposed value other than those who are willing to buy into the narrative. To a sane person, it sounds like "we're valuable because of our value", which just sounds asinine.

All I heard up through the last year or two was that we couldn't get it done with Johnny and we only had one Big 12 championship. Somehow a lightning in the bottle national championship season and two Big 12 championships over the last 20 seasons is significantly better, while they couldn't ultimately "get it done" with Colt McCoy over 4 seasons.

The funny part is observing my Longhorn acquaintances flipping to a script of "we suck", "we can't get it done" and "this is embarrassing." But give them 2 or 3 wins in a row (which is rare) or a win over OU, USC, etc. and all the sudden "they are back." And over the course of the last few years, it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether they will be watching their game over the weekend, but they seem somehow shocked that I've blocked off my time to watch games against ULM or whoever we might be playing.

Unless they do something drastic with their new AD and/or start actually winning consistently on the field, their ship will continue to sink. To me, that's all the reason in the world to not schedule them. I'm glad we pick one top tier opponent outside our SEC schedule to keep things interesting and give us a fighting chance in the rankings if we struggle in the SEC West. Adding a game 2-4 years down the road in my opinion simply doesn't add up to a top tier opponent right now. Not the way they have been floundering.
rootube
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Dodds to me was a rather classic example of the Longhorns inflated and inaccurate perception of their true worth. He struck all sorts of moronic and destructive deals that have continually blown up in Longhorns face. He was a track coach from Kansas State who overplayed his hand for to many years.
I really don't understand the Dodds hate. He did what I would expect Aggie leadership would have done if they were in his situation. Sure there were some unintended consequences, but he got the best deal possible for the horns (And that was his job!). I also don't think anything blew up in his face. They are still collecting those giant ESPN checks AND the B12 ones. The only area where they failed is not finding a long term coach but you can probably say the same thing about everyone in college football with the exception of Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson,Georgia and hopefully Texas A&M.

Artimus Gordon
I have nothing but love and admiration for deloss. I love how his high handedness and assholyness caused our administration to see the light about these sidewinders and led us to greener pastures in the SEC. I love how the butthurt arrogance of deloss caused him to turn his nose up at our olive branch of continuing to play each other. It put the wheels in motion to get LSU as our final game of the season and a nice away trip to New Orleans and Baton Rouge around thanksgiving. Deloss is the gift that keeps on giving. How can you not like that asshat and what he has done for us! Oh and never play them again!
halfastros81
AG
Dodd's arrogance was a major factor in helping us make the 100 yr decision. In the process he also hurt the Big 12's prospects to remain viable long term. For those things I thank him.
80sGeorge
AG
rootube said:

Windy City Ag said:

Dodds to me was a rather classic example of the Longhorns inflated and inaccurate perception of their true worth. He struck all sorts of moronic and destructive deals that have continually blown up in Longhorns face. He was a track coach from Kansas State who overplayed his hand for to many years.
I really don't understand the Dodds hate. He did what I would expect Aggie leadership would have done if they were in his situation. Sure there were some unintended consequences, but he got the best deal possible for the horns (And that was his job!). I also don't think anything blew up in his face. They are still collecting those giant ESPN checks AND the B12 ones. The only area where they failed is not finding a long term coach but you can probably say the same thing about everyone in college football with the exception of Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson,Georgia and hopefully Texas A&M.

Yes he did his job. In the short term it could be viewed favorably.

Long term he accelerated the demise of the B12. Helped lose CU, NU, Miz, A&M. Traded the chance for a B12 network for the LHN. Left a conference that's a shell of its former self and which many believe won't last. One that their 'partner' OU tried to escape too.

The former conference could have worked if it had the cohesion of the B1G or SEC. He was the prime driver of division and discord that resulted in what you see today.
rootube
AG
I swear people on here care more about the B12 than horn fans. Dodds made their 100 year decision and it was the correct one in both the long term and the short term. Short term it makes Texas one of the richest and most valuable sports franchises in the world. Long term if/when the B12 dies the Longhorns will go independant or likely take their pick of any conference they choose. Show me how any of this hurts the Longhorns. Again I expect Sharp and Woodward to make decisions based on what is best for Texas A&M not the SEC. Right now those two interests happen to be in perfect sync.

We just need to thank our lucky stars that their 100 year decision helped make ours possible. On a side note the real losers here are the journalists who used to get a paycheck from ESPN, I wonder if they got longhorn network merch as part of their severance package.
Turf96
TMartin said:

DeLoss Dodds was a symptom but the disease was state sponsored tu money and culture.

You haven't ever spoken directly to DD have you? You know how I know you haven't? Your above post. I've had to deal with his self worth directly. Let's just say it is my experienced opinion that your above opinion is wrong.
BlueSmoke
Quote:

Horns are the bitcoin of college football. There's really nothing of substance supporting their supposed value other than those who are willing to buy into the narrative. To a sane person, it sounds like "we're valuable because of our value", which just sounds asinine.
Texas is and always be a CFB blue-blood. That's not going to change. I think a better analogy would be the gold standard. And antiquated system that had it's day, but has failed to adapt to the changing current landscape. A commodity that used to have significant influence, but now is relegated to the past.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
1st Generation Ag
rootube said:

Windy City Ag said:

There's an anecdote I remember reading back when Dodds was busy shooting himself (and the entire Big 12) in the foot with the development of the LHN. When The NFL got its first TV contract, Wellington Mara could have demanded that 75% of the broadcasted games be for the New York Giants - and he would have gotten them. He didn't ask, but instead agreed to an equal sharing of TV games, because he knew the future of his football club depended on a healthy league.

The SEC has equal TV revenue sharing - in fact, I think the Big 12 is the only P5 conference that doesn't. How's it working out for the Horns? They were the ones who demanded revenue distribution based on TV appearances when that league began. Demanding the most for themselves at their conference coevals' expense is all-too-typical for the Horns, but it's also short-term thinking. No other school had tried to launch its own TV channel before, largely because it wasn't worth the trouble - and the funny part is, the Horns thought it was a great idea but that they were just the first ones with the vision and the strength to do it.

No, we would not have done the same thing in his position.
tk for tu juan
Haha, caring about what people on SECRant think about A&M. The Zoo is tame compared to that place. Tigerdroppings is good for three things, info provided on hurricane threads, following threads on the More Sports board during big sport events, and when the coaching carousel board reopens.
RAB83
AG
Quote:

The extra home game is one reason A&M football makes so much money. It's not our job to fix their problems. I guarantee you that if we were in the same boat they would happily throw us an anvil.
This!
HoustonAg2014
AG
Any conference of their choosing huh? I know one conference they will NEVER be allowed to join (the most valuable one) so that leaves 3 other conferences they could potentially join.

Would the other conferences take a school in knowing that as soon as they join, they will demand the largest piece of the pie because "we're Texas"? Would they be able to keep their network long term and join another conference or would they have to throw out the LHN. Sure they could go independent like Notre Dame. I am not sure how that is working out for them financially, however, I know there are a hell of a lot more Catholics in this world watching Notre Dame football than their are longhorn T shirt fans...

If this decision was such a home run financially for them, why does their AD and president call our AD and president and beg them to play the game? They don't make decisions based off of "well it would be fun to play them again." They just had to inflate their numbers to say they had 104k at the texas vs USC game this weekend. They can't help themselves from lying to make themselves look better than they are. No one in their right mind believes that their stadium holds as many people as ours.

They don't do things unless it is exponentially more beneficial to them than it is for anyone else. If a conference is stupid enough to allow them in (which will disgruntle the other schools) then they are morons. It is not a smart business decision.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Who cares? What's done is done.
Agsuffering@bulaw
He made 5 of his "partners" a loaded gun offer to move to a conference 1,500 miles away. He did not consider his partners perspectives, he just expected they would jump when he snapped.

When one of his "partners" bucked, he threatened to end a 100 year rivalry (something very profitable for both programs) as retaliation.

Then, he welched on his promises to the PAC when ESPN offered him more money via the LHN.

tu arrogance is one thing. Deloss was drunk with power, and maybe something else!

If they build a statue, it should be part of a statue garden mocking him. maybe an even shorter, even uglier DD violently clutching the LHN with one hand while he clutches a burning dumpster in the other. It would be accompanied by bigger statues of a Buffalo charging west, a Big Farmer holding corn skipping North, and Ol' Rock Going East with a fine chick in an OM sweater in one arm and another fine chick from one of the other institutions in the other.

Heck, maybe there could be a bunch of fine cheerleaders, one from each institution jumping up and down in joy. And there could be a Mizzou tiger maybe a step behind Ol Rock with a fine chick from Arkie under his arm.

And why stop there. The whole even could be filmed by CBS cameras and maybe 6 or 7 different ESPN and SECN cameras. There could be an ESPN Brinks Truck and a CBS Brinks Truck backing up with piles of money spilling out.

And Finally, we need to have a statute of JFF dressed like Scooby Doo with a bunch of women around him.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.