Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Best away game experience you've had?

8,708 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by strbrst777
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ignoring game outcomes, what opposing teams town/stadium/fans have you liked the best?

Doesn't necessarily have to be SEC.

Mine stadium wise has definitely been LSU. saw us play there in 2013. Sold out, rainy, and at night. Great experience.

Town and fans - loved Columbia, South Carolina. Fans were gracious, kind, and knew how to have fun and Columbia is a cool little college town - five points (their northgate) was great
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Alta
AG
Without a doubt Georgia. Awesome college town and atmosphere. Can't wait to go next year!
TexanJeff
AG
Auburn
Florida
Ole Miss
Colorado
Oklahoma

Going to Bama this Weekend.
Alpha Texan
AG
Cowboys Stadium! Love going there to watch us play Arkie... way better than home and away games with them
aggiejim70
AG
Alta said:

Without a doubt Georgia. Awesome college town and atmosphere. Can't wait to go next year!
You talking about the 40 something to not very much game in 1980? I was there. Here Herschel run with the football.

Of course, I was a young man then and along to tend bar etc. It's hotter than hell on election day. So here comes this dude in a wool suit drinking Chavis scotch from a 1/2 gallon bottle yelling Go Dawgs and he's got two women with him. Half way through the first quarter, he wet his pants and passed out. The women, who we later learned were his wife and sister, left him there. The Old Ags start yelling Jim Jim get the bottle. Which I did and we all had a drink. Good times.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
halfastros81
AG
I went to Georgia in 1980 .was on the field level. Great atmosphere. the experience was awesome. The game .... not so awesome.

LSU is also a really cool atmosphere but I feel like a
Bigger % of the people have a chip on their shoulder.

Bama was cool and the fans were very gracious when they beat us in Birmingham in '86. Not as loud as LSU

Arky fans treated us well in my trips to Little Rock and Fayetteville back in the SWC days.

I thought the tech fans were pretty good back in the SWC days as well. That seemed to chang in a big way after the SWC tho. I can't recall if the goal post incident was post SWC or not.

They all have their own unique cultures as do we.

HarveyBirdman
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

ignoring game outcomes, what opposing teams town/stadium/fans have you liked the best?

Doesn't necessarily have to be SEC.

Mine stadium wise has definitely been LSU. saw us play there in 2013. Sold out, rainy, and at night. Great experience.

I was at that game and thought it sucked. Storm blew in and it was freezing cold and rainy which seemed to put a damper on tailgating and the atmosphere compared to a normal LSU a gameday. I felt like i got cheated out if my LSU gameday experience bc of the weather.

Nebraska in 2007 was cool
HoustonAg2106
AG
Ole Miss 2012
Rule#2
AG
Been making a road trip every year since joining the SEC. We actually had a really good time in Auburn 2016. Great atmosphere, inviting fan base, and overall college town feel. Would recommend.

Edit: Headed to Columbia this year. Hear good things.
halfastros81
AG
Iv'e heard Aub is a really good trip. On my list in the future.

Have heard nothing but positives about Clemson as well.
TylerAg16
AG
Auburn in 2014. Great gameday atmosphere, their fans sort of reminded me of us, pretty welcoming all around.

Our seats were right behind the FTAB (student tickets) which was a cool spot low in the corner of an end zone. Both sides were rowdy the whole time, and the game of course was excellent with the Ags pulling out the upset.
JPK89
AG
UCLA at the Rose Bowl last year.

It got KDS fired and Jimbo on our sideline.
Eso si, Que es
Clemson 05 was my favorite experience. They reminded me of Aggies, before the game lots of free beer and after the game there was lots of moonshine.

Nebraska was a great due to the fans.

Auburn in 2012 for MSST game. They were very welcoming to the SEC and in general.

I hated the fans in Columbia in 2014 - they were talking **** before the game how bad we were gonna be without Johnny, and then ran us out of town after the game drunk and rude. I asked 3 separate groups for recommendations for after game, 1 group said McDonalds and the other 2 groups said smart ass **** like college station or Charleston, basically anywhere but here.

Kansas students in 98 sitting near us didn't even stand for national anthem, they were all jackasses.

TheWoodsAg
AG
Auburn
Nebraska
Ole Miss
Bama
Oklahoma St
LSU
Florida
Vanderbilt
Kansas
OU
UCLA
South Carolina
Texas
Miami

Tech

Baylor
rambo_99
Okie lite. Went 3 away trips in a row over 6 years and each time was great.

Always found it similar to BCS - straight up college town. Eskimo joes = the chicken. Band going bar to bar to play school songs. Great tailgate scene with super friendly fans to feed us booze.

Worst hands down was Miami 07. ~90% of "fans" didn't go to school there. Threw beer bottles at us on the walk out from the upper levels. Multiple ags had knives in tires of their rental cars. Other than that Mrs Lincoln the nightlife was as expected.
CatmanBoo
Ole Miss for everything, tongue was literally dragging on the ground the whole time. I left with the ugliest girl at the end of the night and she was a freaking 9
Maroon from the womb.
Aggie
AG
Clemson in 2005
Nebraska in 1999
Colorado in 1997

Fans were not great but just from a college football fan bucket list
Notre Dame
Miami in old Orange Bowl
UCLA at Rose Bowl
USC- non A&M game
Florida State - non A&M game
MidTnAg
AG
1967. Thanksgiving victory over the sips 10 to 7. By far the most exciting A&M game I have ever attended. By far!
Liquid Wrench
LSU
MaroonStain
AG
IMO most overrated stadium was Notre Dame BUT the pre-game was awesome. The 2000 trip still allowed drinking right outside the stadium which looked like an aluminum can apocalypse plus it was hot for the game.

Clemson '05 and a couple of OKlite trips were my favorites. The grandaddy of all road trips was LSU '94....borrowed Suburban, cow skull on front, beer started at Sabine, Bourbon Street yell, one in jail, Ags won and drive back was classic hungover grumpy Ags.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Mississippi State 2012
Oklahoma 1997
discosuperfly
AG
It was a low-point for Aggie football, but the USL/ULaLa away game in 1996 had to be the most underrated gameday atmosphere I've seen. At the time, the Aggies were the biggest program to ever play at their house and fans/alumni came out of the woodwork to party and put on a good show. On that day, the tailgating was as good as anywhere and the stadium, thanks to eight Aggie turnovers, was really rocking. Yes, it was an embarrassing loss for the good guys, but watching them rip down the goal posts and march them all over the stadium and campus was what makes college football special. ESPN showed a graphic on ULL last weekend and their program is something like 1-50 all time versus ranked teams. I witnessed the dreaded "1" first hand.
HoustonKid
I thought the Notre Dame crowd was rude and the weather was hot as hell. Auburn and the War Eagle flying over our head was pretty cool. Ole Miss, I bunch of drunks and a crappy stadium. Athens is a beautiful town and a great place to throw back a cold one or a dozen. You could not pay me to go to LSU. Alabama was ok with Johnny. Mo. Can be a beautiful drive if you plan it right. Arkansas, cool town but not the best fans. All in All, coulld not be be happier with the SEC.
Kozmozag
Best stadium was colorado, best fans was Wyoming.
randy828
AG
Ugh...2004 Utah game. Beautiful city, nice stadium.

Got the snot beat out of us by Urban Meyer and Alex Smith....but the best thing of the night was the college coed with HUGE cans just flipping off the small A&M section with both hands from in front of the Utah student section. I couldn't take my eyes off her assets!

John Francis Donaghy
CatmanBoo said:

Ole Miss for everything, tongue was literally dragging on the ground the whole time. I left with the ugliest girl at the end of the night and she was a freaking 9

What was she after you sobered up?
MaroonStain
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

CatmanBoo said:

What was she after you sobered up?

Considering it was at Ole Miss, she was probably OYL when sober.

Out of
Your
League
swellvermin
AG
2005 Clemson

And got laid a lot in Lubbock
schmellba99
AG
I had a different experience than the others that posted about Notre Dame in 2000. Flat out awesome experience for us. Fans were welcoming and a lot of fun, their campus is pretty cool. Stadium was a bit of a letdown for me other than the history of the stadium. Chicago was an awesome experience, even managed to make a White Sox game while we were in town.

Only rude fans we came across were some teenagers right before the game, but they were the exception by far.
aggie813
Slight edge to UGA....Clemson a close 2nd though.
ColoTxAg
2012 Auburn & 2015 Mississippi

In both cases we were treated great by their fans...definitely looking forward to return visits!!!
BenFiasco14
AG
swellvermin said:

2005 Clemson

And got laid a lot in Lubbock

I'd suggest making a doctors appointment
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Schall 02
AG
St. Louis. 1998.
SunrayAg
AG
Wyoming 2001.

Game was Thursday night, spent the rest of the weekend camping and fly fishing.

When I was a student we were still in the So What Conference, so all the road trips were to places like Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, Lubbock, and Waco.
Ag22
AG
Wasn't an Aggie game but Clemson is a sight to see. I can't wait to go back next year. The fans and environment are only topped by Kyle Field, in my opinion.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.