Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Trivia Time: How did it feel to put on your Aggie Ring for the first time?

5,439 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Duckhook
Aggie Network
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Thanks to everyone who submitted their trivia guess and how they felt the first time they put on their Aggie Ring.

Congratulations to the following posters who will be getting an Association goodie bag.

• Lateralus Ag
  • Agcutter

Winners, we'll be in touch.

Be on the look out for more trivia giveaways throughout the year. Thanks and gig 'em.

---

Post answers to both of the two questions below and we'll select two winners on Thursday, September 20. Winners will receive an Association goodie bag.

• How many Aggie Rings has The Association awarded through scholarships? HINT: Find the answer HERE
  • How did it feel to put on your Aggie Ring for the first time?

The Aggie Ring is the most visible symbol of the Aggie Network that connects Aggies around the world. Dating back over a hundred years, it is a tradition that is steeped in symbolism. Each symbol of the Aggie Ring represents values every Aggie should hold: Excellence, Integrity, Leadership, Loyalty, Respect and Selfless Service.

DID YOU KNOW that The Association of Former Students' Aggie Ring Program has the honor and responsibility of protecting the integrity of the Aggie Ring. The program oversees the eligibility, order and delivery of Aggie Rings.

---

The Association of Former Students is the oldest organization serving Texas A&M University in support of the ever-growing Aggie Network. We are HERE for Aggies during their days as students and former students, THERE for Aggies as they make their way around the world and EVERYWHERE that the Aggie Network needs us to be.

Learn more at AggieNetwork.com.
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
PMD03
AG
  • Heavy
TxSquarebody
Still dreaming of the day and working towards the start
Floor it until you see God
Moe Jzyslak
AG
1) 662
2) Second greatest day of my life behind my wedding day. It was the culmination of all of the hard work that had been put into it. I was the first person in my family to go to college, I had extended family telling me to drop out and telling me I couldn't do it. When I got the ring, my parents couldn't keep it together and were somehow happier than I was
ag_eet
AG
1: 662
2: I had a feeling that I might just graduate after all!
BenFiasco14
AG
1) 662

2) Felt amazing. Really felt like I'd accomplished a lifelong goal and knew I was part of the Aggie family forever. I'll always cherish my ring day. Brought tears to my eyes and my family's eyes. Great day.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
tk for tu juan
FormerAgBusDriver
AG
1) 662

2) I was speechless. Still could not believe I had something on my hand that I would wear every day for as long as I live. Was a great symbol of the hard work put in.
wangus12
AG
1) 662

2) it was heavy. Having my parents there to hand it to me was special. Knowing how much they sacrificed to raise my brother and I and sharing that moment with them
Dark Helmet
1) Half of all of them since they pay for half. Right? Right? Eh?

2) I was hungover and was running late to work, I grabbed the box and high tailed it. Put it on en route to work. I was insanely annoyed by it, because it was added weight that I was unaccustomed to (I had never worn any form of jewelry before). Took me a long time to get used to it. These days, the only time I don't wear it outside the house is when I play golf. Still haven't needed it to be resized.
tfarmer09
AG
1. 662
2. Incredibly Rewarding & Grateful. I always wanted to graduate from A&M and have the ring that united so many. 2 years into A&M I hit a hard spot in life and it cost me my enrollment. At that point it seemed that dream was over, but after a year of community college to get back into A&M, and killing it once back, my aggie ring arrived. The ring means so much already in its unique symbolism, but for me it carries even more.
jim 78
AG

Made me feel proud. I've always been proud to be an Aggie!
TXAggieMom11
1) 662
2) I will never have that feeling, I am just an Aggie Mom but I have put one Aggie Ring on my oldest son and will get to do it again for my younger son in two days. That feeling is one of tremendous pride.
While I am not a true part of the Aggie Family, I am grateful I have been welcomed to occasionally participate as one.
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
TXAggieMom11, although you didn't attend Texas A&M, you are definitely a part of the Aggie family!
TexasRebel
AG
Cold
HECUBUS
AG
1) not mine
2) never got one, not a fan of jewelry
BSCE84ag
AG

Can't remember the building I got it back in 1983 middle semester? I had enough hours and picked up the ring. My folks had put up the funds and ordered it for me. I was broke. Put it on. It was heavy and made me aware of the tradition that my dad was part of. I was going to get out and be recognized by people as a Aggie Grad. Overcast day. Kept looking at it as I walked thru the campus home. Couldn't wait to show my wife.
BreNayPop
AG

It was heavy and awesome. I couldnt wipe the smile off my face or the pride from my walk.
Girlhowdy
AG

I don't remember if I put it on before or after dunking it a pitcher of beer at the chicken. But, it felt good, really good! I was very happy and proud of what it meant to be an Aggie((also felt a little drunk).
Gig 'Em, Ags
Lateralus Ag
AG

I was a "non-traditional" student. I never intended to get a ring because I couldn't afford it. My dad called me a semester after I was eligible and said, are you getting a ring? I said no, it's too much money, dad. He said, well, I called the Association and you have an appointment. We'd like to pay for that as a graduation present for you. (My folks didn't have a lot of money either). I tried to say no, but he insisted.

On Ring Day I had a class till later in the afternoon. I had just got off work, went to class and walked from Wehner to the AFS building. I walked past Kyle Field and turned the corner. There was a sea of people. I almost turned around and went back to my car. But I didn't.

As I got to the place there were kids taking pictures with parents and grandparents. Lots of generations of Ags there to celebrate with their loved ones.

I got in line and a wonderful lady asked me if I was getting my ring. I said yes ma'am. She asked if anyone was meeting me and I said no, my kids are at school and my wife is working. She grabbed me by the arm and said, well, we are your family today. She locked her arm around mine and grabbed the rest of her family (her granddaughter was getting her ring). They took pictures with me and stood in line till we got to the room where we got our rings. They asked me about my major and what I was going to do when I graduated.

When I got to the front of the line I walked up to the gentleman handing out the rings. I told him my name and he grabbed my ring. He handed it to me and said congratulations. I turned around and the sweet lady and her family were there and they were clapping and smiling.

I realized that day what the Aggie family really meant. And I will never, ever forget the kindness of that wonderful lady.

What did I feel when I put on my ring the first time? I felt like a part of something special. I felt like a part of something bigger than me.

I felt like a Texas Aggie.
PabloSerna
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

I was a "non-traditional" student. I never intended to get a ring because I couldn't afford it. My dad called me a semester after I was eligible and said, are you getting a ring? I said no, it's too much money, dad. He said, well, I called the Association and you have an appointment. We'd like to pay for that as a graduation present for you. (My folks didn't have a lot of money either). I tried to say no, but he insisted.

On Ring Day I had a class till later in the afternoon. I had just got off work, went to class and walked from Wehner to the AFS building. I walked past Kyle Field and turned the corner. There was a sea of people. I almost turned around and went back to my car. But I didn't.

As I got to the place there were kids taking pictures with parents and grandparents. Lots of generations of Ags there to celebrate with their loved ones.

I got in line and a wonderful lady asked me if I was getting my ring. I said yes ma'am. She asked if anyone was meeting me and I said no, my kids are at school and my wife is working. She grabbed me by the arm and said, well, we are your family today. She locked her arm around mine and grabbed the rest of her family (her granddaughter was getting her ring). They took pictures with me and stood in line till we got to the room where we got our rings. They asked me about my major and what I was going to do when I graduated.

When I got to the front of the line I walked up to the gentleman handing out the rings. I told him my name and he grabbed my ring. He handed it to me and said congratulations. I turned around and the sweet lady and her family were there and they were clapping and smiling.

I realized that day what the Aggie family really meant. And I will never, ever forget the kindness of that wonderful lady.

What did I feel when I put on my ring the first time? I felt like a part of something special. I felt like a part of something bigger than me.

I felt like a Texas Aggie.
That's some damn good bull bro!
PabloSerna
AG
- I wear my ring all the time. One of the few great things I did as a young man!
Horse with No Name
"Like warm apple pie!"

Wait, wrong first time...
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
Grits
AG
1) 662

2) It felt as good as the first time I successfully converted my my DVD collection to laserdisk.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Teacher_Ag
AG

- I got mine almost a decade after leaving A&M. Transferred at the end of my junior year due to circumstances and really regretted as the years passed not having the ring. I'd meet fellow Ags and see their rings and feel like I missed out on something I'd be really proud of. Finally took the steps to get mine years down the road and dunked it with my Aggie wife and my Class of '72 Dad and honestly was overwhelmed. Wear it every day with so much pride.
FytinTexAg04
One Million Dollars is what I felt like.

Once before that (1st chair 5A all state baritone) have I felt it and 3 times (marriage and two kiddos) after that have I felt that natural high...
Krazykat
AG

Overwhelming pride and a sense of accomplishment.
DecadePlan
AG

Indulge me please. I was in my second senior year. I'd laid out of school for a year and a half after my grandma died, having moved in with my grandfather so he didn't have to go into a nursing home. After mom retired, she moved down to Lake Jackson for him and I finally made my way back to College Station to finish. There was no money for a ring but I was determined that her sacrifice to send me to college wouldn't be in vain.

Now during my years at A&M, I was very involved in the campus ministry, Aggies for Christ. Never missed a Tuesday night devotional under the overhang by Rudder (and later by Sul Ross on the Academic bldg steps). Over the 7 years (including that 1.5) I was around, I saw many great people come to CS and move on as grads.

Finally, in my last year, I missed a devotional, sick as a dog on Tuesday night. That night, a couple of young Ags stood up and told the group what, evidently, I meant to them. And it was a very positive and kind testimony on my behalf. (Yeah, shocking. Right?)

That weekend, they took me to dinner. And told me about the devotional. And told me that they'd requested and received that night, on the spot, enough to buy my Aggie ring for me. A gift from the Aggies for Christ.

Two of those friends are ministers now. And one is my elder at church now, though several years younger than I. Every time i twirl my Aggie ring on my finger, I remember the first time, when love of good friends of faith placed it there.
10Aggie10
AG
that's awesome! I would've loved that experience.

I worked anywhere from 70-90 hours per week while I was in school, volunteered about 15-20/ week and averaged 24 credit hours per semester.

on my ring day, I showed up stood in line and loved getting to watch all of the families enjoying such a fun day. unfortunately I didn't have anyone there with me. my future wife was in class when I had to rush over between jobs. the lady who gave it to me said something generic like "congratulations" and moved on to the next person.

gold prices had just spiked the last few years so that thing was expensive! I also was unfortunate enough to graduate during the recession so no one was recruiting my class. Like many of the folks who entered the work force at that time, I got a lot of "would love to have you but we're in a hiring freeze"
aeon-ag
I was on leave in the Army, 1970, I flew into Love field from Ft Jackson, South Carolina. My Father handed it to me with a huge smile on his face, fighting back tears. he was class of '39. He was more proud than I was, I was just thankful to be going home for a few days. It was antiqued like all O'l Army ordered.
Lord_TyTy
Redass
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
Thanks for all of your responses. Winners posted in the OP.

Randy '01
Sq 12 Ag
AG
Awesome until it fell between the cracks of the front porch of the Chicken!
Lateralus Ag
AG
Thanks and Gig 'em!!!
Duckhook
AG
1. 662

2. It wasn't as big a deal when I got my ring as it is now. I think I went to some little office in an Ag building, and a nice lady handed me my ring in the box and told me congratulations. I was more excited to be there and put my daughter's ring on this past April.

Obligatory Rule 1 photo. My daughter's ring, my ring, my dad's ring. My dad is no longer with us in body, but we all felt him with us that day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.