Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How Much Were Season Tickets in Old Army Days?

5,375 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wisdom
tomdoss02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm wondering whether in 20 years when I make out my $1000 per seat check if I'll look back and say, "I remember when they used to be $375."

Just curious. . .
53Storm
AG
uhhh, who said you've got to wait 20 years to make out that check...
tomdoss02
Just being optimistic. Maybe with Byrne it'll be more like 10?!
TexAg75
AG
Can't remember what year, but I recall paying $60 for 15 yd line, second deck, West. That was probably $12 for 5 home games. Probably early 80's.
RCH72
I can't attest to season tickets, but in 1964 Date Ticket were $1.00 and seating was by class.
Texag 77
AG
I believe that the season's tickets in 1973 went for $30 (5 homegames at $6 per ticket.)
Back then the hotels didn't require a 2 night booking either.
StringerBell
AG
back in old army days you could buy a hot dog and a flagon of rootbeer for a nickle. a brand new washing machine only cost $4.

95_Aggie
AG
And you were lucky if you made 50 cents an hour.

Its all about perspective .....
AggieFrog
AG
You can still get season tickets at TCU for only $60/year, and that'll put you close to the 50 on the 2nd deck.
GeorgiAg
AG
it was a nickel but they had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to get there.
W
AG
A 1989 ticket to the A&M-Texas game at Kyle cost $25.

A 2003 ticket to the A&M-Texas game at Kyle cost $75.

So an A&M-Texas ticket at Kyle to the 2017 game should be between $125 & $150.
tree91
AG
Season tix in '94, '95, and '96 were about $125 each. Last year, I paid $180 for 3 tickets to 1 game.

How did all this sawdust get under the hood?
cecil77
AG
quote:
You can still get season tickets at TCU for only $60/year, and that'll put you close to the 50 on the 2nd deck.
You get what you pay for...
powerbiscuit
W...you should do your analysis as a percentage increase instead of the total increase.

Example

'89 $ 25
'03 $ 75 (price in 89 X 3)
'17 $225 (price in 03 X 3)

I wish I had something that appreciated so quickly.

PB

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 1/21/2004 7:16p).]
gw78
AG
Buy a house...

Never Say Die!
TENN.AG88
AG
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get what you pay for..

UH, TCU has had a much better record over the last 3 years than us by far..

Zamacuco
tomdoss02 said:

I'm wondering whether in 20 years when I make out my $1000 per seat check if I'll look back and say, "I remember when they used to be $375."

Just curious. . .
Tickets where how much in 2004...???

aggiejim70
AG
Since "Old Army' usually means stories told you by the seniors when you were a fish about the stories they heard when they were fish from their seniors when they were fish, I can tell you that tickets were too damn high 9 years ago and 9 years from now, these will be the "Old Army" good old days.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Liquid Wrench
cecil77 said:

Quote:

You get what you pay for...
Beg to differ.
strbrst777
I don't know. I am now looking at a ticket stub that I saved from the 1967 Aggie-TCU game at Amon G. Carter Stadium. My wife and I walked up to the ticket window and selected good seats. The price: $5.00 per ticket.
That would be around $40 adjusted inflation (Consumer Price Index conversion.)
Southlake
In 1980, my total bill for tuition, room and board (Corps of Cadets 5 day plan) Sports pass including basketball and football (other sports were free) and other small associated fees was....523.00.
Science Denier
AG
tomdoss02 said:

Just curious. . .
20 years?

Old Army died way before then.
Science Denier
AG
Oh, and you guys are leaving out the cost of the mum.

When did that tradition go away?
twk
AG
Even when I first started buying season tickets in 1995, the face value of the season tickets was only part of the cost--you had to make a donation for decent seats on the west side (now east side was a different story). And, the TMF (or Aggie Club, as it was back in the day) was requiring donations for seats long before that.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Back in 1984 when I first started to go to games tickets were $25 for most games and $75 for the tu game.
McInnis80
I think tickets for games were $7.50 each. Same price for all games, but the only season tickets that did not require a donation to the Aggie Club were in the horseshoe. (end zone, but a whole lot further from the field than the current stadium)

The other thing is that we did not have guarantee games against FCS teams. In my time at A&M we had non conference games with Virginia Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, Boston College, Penn State, Michigan (road only), Washington and Illinois. We had 8 conference games and 3 non conference games. When I arrived, the stadium had a capacity of around 48,000. The seats in the horseshoe and at the open end of the stadium were really bad.
If I remember most season tickets UT did not require a donation, but their stadium held 77,000, which rarely sold out.
MallalieuAg
AG
$60 season
monarch
S
Heady is correct.

Towards the end of the SWC either the DMN or the FTWST did a piece on the cost of season tickets at each school. At that time TAMU had the highest cost, with tu a close second. Of course right now, it wouldn't surprise me that our tickets would be in the top five.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
When I came back from Germany in '75 I think I paid paid about $375, but that was probably for two tickets. I couldn't afford to spend over $700 a year on an Army Captain's pay at the time. $375 or so was plenty.

Who cares, anyway?
ColdChedda
AG
W said:

actually it's priceless
bmc13
AG
W said:

Law Hall 69-72
AG
Growing up in Waco during the '50's and '60's, I saw a lot of good SWC action for 50 cents a game, albeit from the Baylor Stadium end zones. (No tarp in those days.) In the mid "60's, I bought my dad Baylor season tickets that cost $20 total for 5 games. I would guess A&M tickets would have cost about the same then.
chipotle
They were a nickel and an onion belt.
gocobra
AG
in the late 80's... you could get FREE tickets for kids (through HS age) at the local Dairy Queen. they had to sit in the end-zone but my 2 boys did not care. FREE Tickets! Wife and i sat in student section and we could easily see the boys in the end-zone.

(Did not worry about anybody snatching my boys... they would have brought them back within an hour.)
MidTnAg
AG
When I was in high school in the late 1950s, I dug weeds out of our Teague HS football field for a dollar an hour.

When I entered Texas A&M (the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas) in 1960, the minimum wage was still $1 an hour.

I doubt we even had season tickets. if we did, they had to be very very low in price compared to the current prices.

The fabulous Kyle Field was only a one deck U.

By the time I was teaching math, Gene Stallings had been able to get an upper deck built.

Why did I go to Aggieland? I was a double legacy. Both of my parents went to A&M. I was probably the only student in the 60's who make that claim.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.