Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SIAP: AD offering $12 tix for the Thurs night game

4,106 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my tamu email:
Quote:

Dear Texas A&M University Faculty and Staff,

Thank you so much for your support of hosting a college football game on a Thursday, which has not happened at Texas A&M University in more than a decade!

We in the Athletics Department understand the myriad of issues that go along with this enormous endeavor, and, as a way of saying "Thank You", we are offering University faculty and staff with the opportunity to purchase tickets for $12 per ticket for a limited time.
Quote:

Moving the 2018 season-opener to Thursday, Aug. 30 was important to us because it ensured that the Texas A&M debut of National Championship-winning head coach Jimbo Fisher would be a night game at Kyle Field and nationally-televised by the SEC Network. What a great way to start the Jimbo Fisher Era at Texas A&M!

Once again, thank you for your support of Texas A&M Athletics and the 12th Man, and we hope to see you at Kyle Field on Aug. 30!
hahahahaha. Like we had a choice about our support for Thurs night.

And I thought they were going for less on the secondary market.
AgFlags74
AG
I believe they are trying to ensure at least 60,000 fans AT the game, not rely on the "announced" crowd of 100,000 PAID tickets. Too many folks have to work or keep kids in school that week. Result is lots and lots of empty seats. And, lost revenue. AD is making the most out of a bad situation.

I understand the SEC and TV folks pushing every angle to draw viewers and ad dollars, so they stick us and our headliner new head coach alone on national TV at night. Thankfully we won't be on Saturday at 11 or 2:30 in the sun and 105 degrees. I also can't help but think our coaches relish having extra practice time (and "rest") before Clemson. All that is appreciated. But I hate--hate--seeing thousands of empty seats at Kyle.
AgFlags74 - College Station TX
Al Bula
AG
W
AG
this is classic buyer's remorse.

the AD originally thought this would be a great, super-awesome idea. Yeah!

but then folks in the athletic department started realizing why A&M doesn't play Thursday night games anymore.

so hello $12 tickets

HoustonAg2014
AG
I'm pumped! Taking Friday off for a long Labor Day weekend, like most people I know do anyways. Get to take care of business and then spend the weekend at a lake not worrying about Aggie football. Now I can have a 4 day weekend with Aggie football out of the way.

Oh and people rarely show up to the crappy cream puff games anyways...
redd38
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

You realized tens of thousands of people show up for those games, right? Not exactly rare to see someone at a cream puff game.
redsquirrelAG
AG
You keep saying this on multiple boards. Maybe you are sour you cant make it or something, but it sounds like there is a personal issue here. Its the start of a new regime, I'd be shocked if less than 90K make it. Saying 60K is ridiculous and just being dramatic. I personally know tons of people going just for the fact its Jimbos first game. You see in the real world there is this thing called PTO. Also it's the beginning of a long holiday weekend. It will be fine.
TXAG 05
AG
Being Labor Day weekend, the opening game, and Jimbos debut, there should be a pretty good turnout. Unlike the hurricane game when we almost lost to SWT and there was maybe 30K there.
HoustonAg2014
AG
And I don't expect anything less for Jimbo's opening game.

You are lying to your self if you think we pack the stadium for cream puffs. Season tickets are already sold and the people that can show up and like Aggie football will be there.
farmersfightatm
redd38 said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

You realized tens of thousands of people show up for those games, right? Not exactly rare to see someone at a cream puff game.
Not only that, sometimes people with larger families can't afford the cost of a 'Bama or Clemson type game, so these are the games they possibly afford to take the whole family to...
BenFiasco14
AG
I'll be watching from my couch.

Will be there the next weekend for Clemson.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Thursday was a good move:

1. Junk game will get national tv exposure
2. College Football Headlines next day will be about JImbo's debut at A&M, which will get play b/c the media will by hyping the start of the season
3. Most students will go to game before leaving for the weekend
4. 2 extra days to prepare for Clemson

The drawback is that a lot of alums will not attend. The cheap tickets for faculty is a smart way of trying to recoup.

Call me a 2%er, but I have a very hard time getting motivated for games like this. I could just go watch Tyson vs. Spinks on youtube. The results should be similiar. I would go if I were still in school or lived in B/CS.
12mn95
AG
I think the 2 extra days to prepare for clemson is the most beneficial.
peddler
AG
It was Jimbos decision to move it up 2 days. He wanted the extra time to get ready to BTHO Clemson .
Post removed:
by user
alamoaggie 64
My guess is 90k.
redd38
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

And I don't expect anything less for Jimbo's opening game.

You are lying to your self if you think we pack the stadium for cream puffs. Season tickets are already sold and the people that can show up and like Aggie football will be there.

There's a huge gap between packing the house and "people rarely showing up"
Lateralus Ag
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

RPM said:

This is how I picture Lat.

I am still living rent free in your head, huh Brew?

That's pretty close. I wear glasses have more hair but it's much shorter. And it's mostly grey.
jja79
AG
True fan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.