Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Realistic Expectations For this season?

7,713 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Legacy Work Spaces
Bone6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
7-5

I'm bullish on the Jimbo era as a whole, but I think it's going to be hard to transition the offensive line from the spread to firing off the ball in a pro system.
TexaN792
ElCheAg said:

NW St. - W

Clemson - L

LA Monroe - W

Alabama - L

Arkansas - W

Kentucky - W

USCw - W

MS St - L

Auburn - L

Ole Miss - W

UAB - W

LSU - L

7 - 5 record. Potentially 8 - 5 with bowl win.

I wasn't aware that we were playing University Southern Cal this year. Maybe you should try again
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think we are just as likely to be 7-5 as we are 9-3. So i think 8-4 is probably where we are.

35% 8-4
25% 9-3
25% 7-5
15% Other
NoahAg
If Jimbo goes 8-4, go ahead and extend his contract another 5 years. 3 losses are guaranteed: Bama, Clemson, Auburn. So 8-4 means he loses no more than 1 from either LSU, MSU, SC, arky, and ole mi$$. Not to mention kentucky.
amercer
AG
Sherman's biggest failure was not selling out to make a bowl game his first year. It really set the program back. Same for Fran, although his team was worse and so was he.

I don't think it's possible we go 5-7, but doing so would be a major blow to the future of the program.

I think 9-4 after the bowl with some late season wins for the first time in a while.
TyperWoods
heddy Lamarr said:

Quote:

It will take time. Should be competing for SEC (and thus NC) by year 3.
Sumlin turned a 6-6 Big 12 team into 11-2 in one season for a lot less than $75M

And it didn't last because the foundation was weak.

Do you not Jimbo?
ebag02
AG
NoahAg said:

If Jimbo goes 8-4, go ahead and extend his contract another 5 years. 3 losses are guaranteed: Bama, Clemson, Auburn. So 8-4 means he loses no more than 1 from either LSU, MSU, SC, arky, and ole mi$$. Not to mention kentucky.
Why is Auburn a guaranteed loss? We have never lost to them at Auburn even when we were 23 point underdogs with a true freshman QB. We have never lost to SC or Arky since joining the SEC. Ole Miss is a dumpster fire and we beat them last season. Miss State has a new coach and losing to them is the reason we have a new coach. 8-4 is the minimum expected record if Jimbo is as good as advertised. If 8-4 is a good record we should have never fired Sumlin.
Little Rock Ag
AG
I hate to be negative but this is the kind of season where we may struggle quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see us at .500 with even a loss to the Razorbacks. I hope not of course but I am trying to approach this question as a football fan.
CreedBratton
TyperWoods said:

6 to 9 wins.

Nice
fireinthehole
I think we beat lsu this season. Probablel losses to Auburn, Miss St, Clemson and Bama. Steal one of those and 9-3
You are the world, we are the USA, don't mess with us and we won't blow your $hit away.
Geriatric Punk
AG
A whole lot of this...

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
farmersfightatm
The cupboard is not bare...there is still a ton of talent on this team.

I'm expecting an improved defense and an offense that can get inside the 20 yard line and actually score touchdowns instead of field goals...that's my expectations.
greg.w.h
AG
It's realistic that we go 15-0 since we don't have any losses and have an FBS national champion coach...
HunterAggie
zephyr88 said:

Optimistic 9-3

Realistic 8-4
Echo.
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
MMantle
AG
This team is not devoid of talent, maybe depth issues at a few positions, but has a number of talented, proven players at key positions.

In his first year, it seems like Coach Fisher ought to be able to

1) please, please figure out a way to convert 3rd-and-1, please.

2) incorporate the use of a TE, FB and / or H-back to diversify the offense.

3) convince the defense that football is a contact sport, teach tackling fundamentals.

Should result in another win or two, over last year, i.e., 8 or 9 wins.

RR

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Definitely drinking the maroon koolaid here, but 9-3 with a 10th win coming in a bowl. My anticipated losses are to Clemson, Alabama, and Auburn. Yep, we are kicking the living sh*** out of the swamp kitties this season.
Lateralus Ag
AG
I am predicting 9-3 with a 10th win in the bowl game. Some of you have said that's "koolaid" and 6-6 or 5-7 is more "likely".

I can't believe I am saying this, but there is no way this team loses 7 games. (Yes, I realize it is technically possible to lose every game). I see 5 wins without much effort. 6 should be a lock, and 7 wins seems way more likely than not.

I think pig sooie, clanga, and swamp kitty will all struggle this year more than a lot of folks thing. Fitzgerald is good, no doubt. And their d-line is top 5 in the nation. But they have to move the ball and I wonder if they can.

Coach Yaw Yaw is hanging his hopes on a QB that barely saw the field at tOSU and for the first time since the 90's doesn't have a running back to speak of. Again, they have a good defense. But can they move the ball?

Morris is trying to take a team built for, well, whatever Bielema was trying to do and turn them into a version of a Leach offense.

I am not convinced that there are 6 or 7 losses on this schedule.

I think Jimbo is good for at least one win where he out-coaches someone. Maybe the sweater-vest lite at war eagle.

No, I say 9 wins is my prediction with the caveat that 8 wins wouldn't surprise me.

And I really don't see that as being a "maroon koolaid" prediction at all.

Maybe I am just putting more stock in Jimbo than I should. But I think he is one of the best coaches in football and knows how to win football games.

TexanJeff
AG
My expectations are not straight line wins and losses for this year.

It is a tough schedule and we are somehow 'young' for the third year in a row so it is tempering my excitement.

Here is what I expect:

1.) Quarterback play that is consistent, not mind blowing but also coached well enough not to make the back breaking play we have seen in years past.
2.) Offensive line improvement. Turner was kept because he is one of the best in the business and our QBs and RBs had a hard time making plays last year against any defenses that were remotely effective.
3.) A defense that is flying toward the ball in the front 7, with mixed packages to confuse the offense and not just relying on our guys to be athletes. And different schemes for different offenses including personnel changes.
4.) Guys not just running free in our secondary so we are making opposing QBs earn every throw and allowing our front 7 to make plays.

If we can do these and the regular like limiting turnovers, forcing turnovers, not committing stupid penalties and having a couple young guys step up could be a fun year.

I expect some growing pains...
beerad12man
AG
merch said:

8-4 would be nice but not how reasonable that is.

None of us want to concede any games but we are likely starting 2-2 and everybody knows that. We have never beaten LSU. That is 3 losses right there.

8-4 in year 1....sign me up for that right now....especially if we are looking better and making games against Clemson and Bama competitive.

This team lost to Ole Miss last year.

8-4 is perfectly reasonable and we did not lose to ole miss last year
beerad12man
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Considering Jimbo went 5-6 with a better team in a worse conference last season I'd say 6-6 is optimistic

I'll bet you 10 grand right this second we go 7-5 or better. You take 6-6 if you think that's being optimistic.

You're a troll and every opinion you have regarding jimbo is clearly biased. So only that season counts? Considering he won 10 games 6 of 8 Years, I'd say 7-5 or 8-4 is pessimistic

See that works both ways.
beerad12man
AG
On another note, this board sucks.

5-7 as serious predictions? Sure anything is possible but the only way that happens is if jimbo loses the team altogether. Considering how much the core group has bought in, it's very unlikely and not really worth discussing as a reasonable prediction. 7-5 to 9-3 are really the only reasonable predictions from where i am sitting

Already conceding sure losses? Do some of you even watch college football? There's no way you can already concede 3 losses to auburn Clemson and Bama. In fact I'll say right now, I think going 1-2 is more likely than 0-3 in those games.

I think there's more than a decent chance we beat one of those three teams, and then lose 1-2 more games such as Mississippi state, Arkansas, LSU, or South Carolina. 8-4 is my prediction, with 9-3 being the optimistic end, and 7-5 the pessimistic end.
CreedBratton
^ Relax, bro.
'03ag
I think it's reasonable to expect to be at least as good as last year. Which means 7-5 if we lose to all the same schools, plus swap Clemson for UCLA.

Hope to steal one from either LSU or Miss St. One or both of those is plausible if O line play makes marked improvement. LSU seems to be trending down. Miss St has a new coach, but a good veteran QB that's already beaten us. Twice.

7-5 is realistic. 8-4 is achievable. An 8-4 squad will be fairly salty and get a favorable bowl matchup. 9-4 isn't crazy.

If this team somehow beats LSU and Miss St then hold on to your butts
Legacy Work Spaces
8-4 if I had to bet.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.