Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arkansas

9,736 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halfastros81
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching Chad Morris interviews in Atlanta. I don't mean for this thread to turn into a Jimbo vs Chad thread, as we can probably all agree we made the best hire possible. I'm more interested in talking about what we can actually expect from Arkansas going forward. I do think Bielema was a bonehead and Morris is going to be an upgrade. And even though Chavis couldn't live up to they hype here, he's probably an upgrade too. They also are making it clear that the Jerryworld game is their game of the year after six losses. What do y'all expect from them this year?
dixichkn
AG
Loss number 7
LEJ
They have nothing to lose and everything to gain!. Signature win potential! If they win this game, he'll get an extension and a kiss from the prettiest virgin in Arkansas!

It's Huge!

Post removed:
by user
SoTxAg
AG
Probably some tougher growing pains for arky transitioning from Bielema ball to Morris' system.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Chad did not sound very confident in much of anything, and something notable is that I didn't hear him mention the word physical once - speaks to the difference in culture bred by Fisher vs. Chad. Possible he said it, but of the stretch I heard it wasn't even mentioned.

Calling it now he's Kevin Sumlin 2.0 but with worse recruiting.
Agsuffering@bulaw
It seemed that Bielema's problems were:

1. He did not recruit enough
2. He did not make adjustments
(it seemed like they had a coverage for when we were in trips and another for when we were in twins- my recollection was that they did not do much to get pressure and were in predictable coverages 90% of the time. Mond was bad under pressure. They should have forced the issue before he started feeling confident.)

The good thing about a smashmouth system is that it reveals right away who is willing to play physically.
lil_frog8
AG
The interesting thing will be that the pigs will now be trying to air it out instead of ram it down our throats and we will now be doing the opposite. It will be really fun to watch which team is better at reversing the roles. Which will prevail; a power team learning to use finesse or a spread team learning to be physical, time will tell.
HoustonAg2014
AG
If we lose this Arkansas game, then this will be the first 4 win season in 10 years. It ain't happening I don't care if "it's eventually going to happen." They are bad and we SHOULD stomp them this year to the tune of 45-7...
cevans_40
AG
Arky will fail. Not because Chad is not a good coach but because they will not be able to recruit with the best in the conference.
aggiedent
AG
I think Arkansas came to the realization that they simply can't recruit well enough to beat the SEC west at their own physical game, hence, they are going the Sumlin/Briles route.

Will it yield different results? Doubtful.
Agsncws
AG
LEJ said:

They have nothing to lose and everything to gain!. Signature win potential! If they win this game, he'll get an extension and a kiss from the prettiest virgin in Arkansas!

It's Huge!

An 8 year old?
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
HunterAggie
cevans_40 said:

Arky will fail. Not because Chad is not a good coach but because they will not be able to recruit with the best in the conference.
Echo.

Arkansas, no matter the coach or the system (even outside the brief Petrino success), will find it daunting to compete in the SEC West.

They just don't have the recruiting base.
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
John Francis Donaghy
lil_frog8 said:

The interesting thing will be that the pigs will now be trying to air it out instead of ram it down our throats and we will now be doing the opposite. It will be really fun to watch which team is better at reversing the roles. Which will prevail; a power team learning to use finesse or a spread team learning to be physical, time will tell.

I'd have to give the edge to Arky. Their team is going to play the spread in a really physical way. They won't suddenly forget physicality in a single offseason.

I think they'll get less physical as time goes by, but I think they might surprise some people this year while their team is still full of smashmouth mentality players giving everything they have in a high powered offense and a Chavis defense.

Trying to teach physical play in a single offseason is a taller order.
500,000ags
AG
Going uptempo, those 365 lb lineman are going to be vomiting by the second quarter and have liquid legs by the fourth quarter.
Bunk Moreland
Tamu_mgm said:

Calling it now he's Kevin Sumlin 2.0 but with worse recruiting.

Morris and Sumlin are nowhere near similar other than a spread exists on teams they coach.

Sumlin doesn't have an offense. He prefers a spread and has guys come in and run a version of it.

Morris' offense is his own. He created it and knows everything about it. Now Sumlin got the magic of Johnny to help make it exciting, but overall I expect Morris' offense to be much more consistent than Sumlin's but only when he gets the guys that fit.

I think the reason he didn't talk as much about toughness and more about speed is so that he can put everyone on notice that he doesn't have the type of athletes at key positions yet for his offense to really go.

I expect the Ags to win this year and next, then who knows. It'll depend on how he's able to recruit.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Morris' offense is his own. He created it and knows everything about it. Now Sumlin got the magic of Johnny to help make it exciting, but overall I expect Morris' offense to be much more consistent than Sumlin's but only when he gets the guys that fit.

I think the reason he didn't talk as much about toughness and more about speed is so that he can put everyone on notice that he doesn't have the type of athletes at key positions yet for his offense to really go.

I expect the Ags to win this year and next, then who knows. It'll depend on how he's able to recruit.
Year three of Jimbo>>>year three of Morris at Arkansas. Recruiting is everything but don't think Morris will get a leg up over Jimbo in that department.
hogfan14
cevans_40 said:

Arkansas has always recruited around the 20-30 area, but they've never really been this bad. Nutt went to Atlanta twice and Petrino went to a Sugar Bowl. Bielema had Arkansas with their worst record over a 6-year period since WWII. I think the realistic goal is somewhere between Petrino and Bielema. We used to dominate the Mississippi schools and are now being picked to finish last in the entire conference. Never even finished last in the West prior to Bret.

John Francis Donaghy said:

lil_frog8 said:

I'd have to give the edge to Arky. Their team is going to play the spread in a really physical way. They won't suddenly forget physicality in a single offseason.

I think they'll get less physical as time goes by, but I think they might surprise some people this year while their team is still full of smashmouth mentality players giving everything they have in a high powered offense and a Chavis defense.

Trying to teach physical play in a single offseason is a taller order.

The thing is, Bielema's teams weren't even that physical. They were big and slow but they got pushed around the last few years. 2014 was really his only team that played smash mouth football. His skill players were arguably better than his lines later on in his tenure. He had the worst OL I've ever seen at Arkansas the last two years.

I think Morris' offense is more run-oriented than people assume. But he does want a ton of speed at receiver to take shots down the field, which we don't have a lot of right now.
Bunk Moreland
Very well could be. My point is that Morris likely won't be in a position to steal a game vs A&M till his 3rd year.

I hope by then Jimbo has the Ags as a top 2 SECW team
technoviking
AG
Let's not kid ourselves. Morris isn't coaching deshaun Watson anymore. He might be asking this dude to run his hurry up system:

They're not going to be good
Agsuffering@bulaw
Sumlin left Jimbo a lot more talent than Butthead left Morris. This is not an apples to apples comparison. That said, anything can happen when the ball is kicked.
mccag
S
It's an old SWC rivalry whether we like it or not and will almost always be a tough game that could go either way. That being said we have definitely got the edge in talent and if I had to beat I would go with the good guys.
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
Tamu_mgm
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

If we lose this Arkansas game, then this will be the first 4 win season in 10 years. It ain't happening I don't care if "it's eventually going to happen." They are bad and we SHOULD stomp them this year to the tune of 45-7...

The score won't be that bad, Morris does know how to score points you have to give him that, he'll find a way. Game will probably end up being something like 37-17 or 41-20. Even with Chief there, there's nothing in his track record that leads to believe he'll have a physical football culture and therefore solid defense though.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I think the Chief will see the same issues he had in Aggieland. The hurry-up offenses did not serve his defenses well here, and that will also be the case in Piggy Land.

Arkansas is a big rival going way, way back, and nothing is going to change in that regard. This game should be a big one for all Aggies. Yes, we have won 6 in a row and yes, it appears damn near impossible that the streak will not extend to 7 and more in the coming seasons. But nearly all of our 6 consecutive were freaking nail biters with a couple of A&M blowouts in there. Three of those games could easily have gone the other way. Don't sleep on the Pigs, they do have talent and they do have an overall history of beating Texas A&M.

For Aggie Chad, I don't expect that he really has what he needs currently on campus to run his typical system. He will get what he needs over time, sure, but if early returns are any indication, Jimbo will take a look across the field and say ....

Pioneer
Most on this thread are saying Arkie can't go from physical to spread in season 1 and have success. So, my question is... can we go from spread to physical in season 1? (we were known as a soft team the last few seasons)

I think we win this game for the at least 3 seasons before it becomes a tight game again. It all depends on Chad getting a spread QB in place.
MaroonStain
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

I think Pig is due.

I'd take that loss to beat LSU

No trade-offs...win. every. game!!!
HoustonAg2014
AG
But you understand my point. The game really shouldn't be close if we take care of business. They lost a lot and were able to stay in games by being more physical. That won't happen this season. Jimbo knows that Chad was on the short list of potential coaches and has this circled as his most probable first SEC win. He also knows that Chad has been coming hard after all of the A&M recruits and commits so he will show no mercy.
swc93
AG
500,000ags said:

Going uptempo, those 365 lb lineman are going to be vomiting by the second quarter and have liquid legs by the fourth quarter.
Works for me; looks like now they won't have to fake injures or cramps to slow down the tempo of the game.
Agsgirl
Aggiebrewer said:

I think Pig is due.

I'd take that loss to beat LSU
Indeed!
Aggie Joe 93
AG
mccag said:

It's an old SWC rivalry whether we like it or not and will almost always be a tough game that could go either way...

The only SWC connection between the two schools is in the stands, not on the sideline, and not on the field.
TheWoodsAg
AG
If we lose to John Stephen Jones this place will devour itself
schmellba99
AG
As a non-Chad Morris hater, I think folks are going to be surprised at what he will ultimately do at Arkansas. It won't happen overnight or even the next couple of seasons, but he is not some fly by night guy that came out of nowhere. There is a reason Clemson is where it is, and Morris has a hell of a lot to do with it. Clemson was a middle of the pack team before Morris created the offense they still run today, and it was that offense that got them to 2 consecutive national championship games. Nutt and Petrino recruited well to their system, and both had very good success. Had Petrino decided to get a convertible and a hummer instead of a motorcycle and a handy from the intern, the entire landscape of the west would be different IMO.

Honestly, I think Arkansas will have an easier time getting up to speed going from a road grader type of offense to a more spread type off offense than a team that is built strictly for speed going the other way. Good thing we aren't really a team built strictly for speed like some here think we are. We were at one point, but the last 3 seasons tell otherwise.

We should have the advantage for the next couple of years, but I don't think it will be blowout games. Year 3, depending on how Arkansas recruits, should be a game of much closer level teams than we want to admit. Considering that receivers and skill positions are not in short supply, Morris will have the opportunity to recruit better than average players to Arkansas and get closer to what he needs. It won't be any harder than Clemson competing against Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, etc. on the east coast - lots of competition within close proximity. He did well enough at SMU offensively.

We should have the more talented team, and we should have a better coaching staff. Elko should have a better defense than Chief. We should win 2 out of 3 on average for the forseeable future, and we should continue our win streak. But I wouldn't chalk it up as an automatic win by any stretch, and definitely not 3 years on out.
Tamu_mgm
AG
I agree we shouldn't chalk it up to an automatic win, because no SEC game is ever an automatic win.
SECTAMU#1
Are we the home team or visitors for our game against Arkansas at AT&T Stadium?
Meximan
dixichkn said:

Loss number 7
EOT
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.