Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kliff Kingsbury

30,771 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GEA89
roxtar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kliff on Barstool podcast:

That Halloween, Manziel was famously photographed dancing with a woman while wearing a Scooby-Doo costume at a party. According to Kingsbury, who was A&M's offensive coordinator at the time, the photo was taken the day before the Aggies were set to leave for Mississippi State.

Manziel missed the team's offensive meeting that morning. Kingsbury said he and the staff were trying to cover for the star quarterback, hoping he can at least make it to the final walkthrough in College Station. We'll let Kingsbury take it from here:

"Johnny has some crazy excuse. His roommate pulled the plug on his alarm clock, or something, electricity. But we already know what he's been doing.

"So he misses the offensive meeting, trots out to walkthrough -- Coach Sumlin (former coach Kevin Sumlin) doesn't know at this point that he's late -- goes through the walkthrough, probably, I think, still a little intoxicated at that point.

"We do our deal, (he) gets on the plane, goes to Starkville, plays the best game I've ever seen. At that point, I'm like, 'This kid is not human.'"

Manziel was 30-of-36 passing for 311 yards and rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-13 win over the No. 17 Bulldogs. He eventually won the Heisman that year and let the Aggies to their first top-five finish in the final Associated Press poll since 1956.

Between gamedays, one rarely knew what they were going to get from Manziel, as Kingsbury's story indicates. But on Saturdays that season, Manziel nearly always delivered, which is probably why staffers didn't mind covering for him.

I don't like what I just read.
My Dad Earl
AG
Does it really shock you at this point?
chipotle
alcohol....give it to him
LEJ
Kliff is really diggin a hole for himself as a head coach. Good luck with that Kliff.
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah and he made you a wealthy man Kliff. Don't forget that part.

So much for keeping it in the family.

My Dad Earl
AG
Urban Ag said:

For all those saying he threw Johnny under the bus or not keeping it in the family: Johnny is a host of this show. He obviously invited Kliff on the show to share the story. It's not that big of a deal.
CFBCommenter
Not like it wasn't known he went out the night before every game he played
mccag
S
I don't know, it basically says the Kid is a gamer when his head is in the right place!
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
My Dad Earl
AG
Bobby Jimbo
AG
roxtar said:

How big is the rock you've been living under?
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Bobby Jimbo said:

roxtar said:

How big is the rock you've been living under?
Check the OPs posting history. All you need to know.
rangerdanger
AG
I don't know why this is a big deal. He was winning games and not hurting anything but his own liver. It's not like he was pillaging the Bryan countryside while skipping practice.
AggieOO
chipotle said:

alcohol....give it to him
it was a lot more than alcohol...
rbcs_2
AG
I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff. I like Sumlin, but don't particularly care for how hands off he was with the players. His staff felt so comfortable with things that they chose not to tell him? Seems very odd.
NoahAg
Quote:

I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff.
This. Kliff has always been a dewsh.
aggiedent
AG
Is OP a millennial who needs some counseling after he sees or hears something he doesn't like? Poor poor you.
Cancelled
AG
I can't wait until JFF writes his autobiography.
Sex Panther
AG
Dad
AG
I want to watch the JFF movie. Hopefully it ends with a return to the NFL and some success there.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Sponge said:

I also play better after I've had a few.

It's not beer pong
Flashdiaz
AG
he used to make other teams look drunk and slow:

TXAG 05
AG
rbcs_2 said:

I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff. I like Sumlin, but don't particularly care for how hands off he was with the players. His staff felt so comfortable with things that they chose not to tell him? Seems very odd.

Not our problem anymore.
Olsen
AG
Kliff should write a tell all book about his time here and coaching JFF.
45-70Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

That was an amazing game
Remember it well
ebag02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I guess he should have been benched for missing the offensive meeting?
texag_89
rbcs_2 said:

Plausible Deniability.

It's how guys like Summy roll.

GSPag`
Good Aggie Hunting said:

So Johnny can make him more millions??
technoviking
AG
GSPag` said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

So Johnny can make him more millions??

..... sure. Why not?

Kliffy is gonna take a pay cut after this season unless ehlinger and Tommy boy decides to bail him out again.
ebag02
AG
texag_89 said:

rbcs_2 said:

Plausible Deniability.

It's how guys like Summy roll.

Kingsbury knew Johnny was gonna make him millions, what incentive did he have to turn in Johnny? Johnny played like a legend anyway. Johnny just partied like most college kids, he didn't rape or steal like some other Heisman winner.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
rbcs_2 said:

I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff. His staff felt so comfortable with things that they chose not to tell him? Seems very odd.

I don't think this was the case. I had a friend on the coaching staff, and right after this happened, I was down there for a game. The first thing he said was, "this guys gonna get suspended, he's an idiot" about JFF and then relayed the missing meetings story along with the alarm clock excuse. I don't think most staff liked it, but ultimately it's Sumlin's call. JFF also made some staffers a lot more money, so keeping your mouth shut benefitted in the end.
PooDoo
AG
Urban Ag said:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/comeback-szn/id1375714621?mt=2#

Give it a listen... It's KK, JFF, Kayce, and JFF & KK's agent

Kliff said Johnny made him a lot of money with that season.

Then Kliff's agent spilled the beans about his encounter with Brittney Spears.

It was fun listening to Kayce talk about smoke shows on North Gate
rocky the dog
AG
Johnny would get the starring role in a remake of "Cool Hand Luke".
MassAggie97
AG
C Loves L
rbcs_2 said:

Most coaching staffs would have done the exact same thing given the exact same circumstances. College football is a business first before anything else. Winning is what makes the entire program and everyone involved minus the players money.

Think of it this way. Let's say Sumlin punished Manziel like he "should" have. Which means essentially that Manziel gets anything from not playing that game to being kicked off the team from breaking team rules (several I might add). How would the coaching staff explain that to the fans and media? How about explaining that to BMAs that have spent millions into the football program
hillcountryag86
AG
Urban Ag said:

So, nobody knew this stuff until this interview??
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.