Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kliff Kingsbury

30,852 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GEA89
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hillcountryag86 said:

Urban Ag said:

Yeah and he made you a wealthy man Kliff. Don't forget that part.

So much for keeping it in the family.

So, nobody knew this stuff until this interview??

Basically everyone knew but being a member of the coaching staff and giving details and his opinion is just bad no matter how you spin it
AgPediRPh
AG
aggie-master said:

I want to watch the JFF movie. Hopefully it ends with a return to the NFL and some success there.
it would probably have more boobs than Wolf of Wall Street
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Not really . . . .I would say Mike Leach first and foremost made Kliff a wealthy man. The Tech Board of Regents were hung up on nabbing a Tech-related coach and played a big role. The Cal Golden Bears paying too much for Sonny Dykes and freaking out the Tech Board of Regents also played a role.

Summy and Manziel probably come in 4th.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Urban Ag said:

THIS!!!!!
HumpitPuryear
AG
Sumlin should have put a rover on Johnny off the field like opposing defenses did on the field. For an ex-LB Sumlin was not very good at defensive scheming.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Quote:

I don't like what I just read.
you have been living in North Korea since 2012 if you didn't already know that about Johnny
heddy Lamarr
AG
Quote:

Sumlin should have put a rover on Johnny off the field like opposing defenses did on the field. For an ex-LB Sumlin was not very good at defensive scheming.
When teams put a spy on Manziel that usually indicated they were in man to man and that Mike Evans was going to have a really big day. Spy almost never worked
Sq 12 Ag
AG
Sumlin was not the only HFC in Aggieland that would prefer to remain uninformed, (or ignored) his player's off the field antics. When I was a G.A., we had several players doing much worse and most everyone knew about it. We had a LB whose main goal on the weekends was to beat up some random guy at Hurricane Harry's. Another G.A. that was a good friend told he HC that this same LB had missed class. When the HC asked the player, he denied skipping. After that, my friend got ripped by the HC for not being accurate.
Windy City Ag
AG
Uncle Nate and Breezy were supposed to be the off the field rovers. They failed in their assigned tasks.
HumpitPuryear
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Quote:

When teams put a spy on Manziel that usually indicated they were in man to man and that Mike Evans was going to have a really big day. Spy almost never worked
So if Johnny had a spy on him off the field it would have been Evans missing team meetings and showing up drunk to practice??
JPK89
AG
FU KK.

The timing of this is just bad. It appears JFF is heading in the right direction and he decides to throw him under the bus with this crap.
hillcountryag86
AG
JPK89 said:

FU KK.

The timing of this is just bad. It appears JFF is heading in the right direction and he decides to throw him under the bus with this crap.
Meh, not an issue. Probably talked to each other after the interview and laughed about it.
Sex Panther
AG
JPK89 said:

FU KK.

He did no such thing
roxtar
AG
BennyBlancoFromTheBright said:

Bobby Jimbo said:

roxtar said:

I don't like what I just read.
How big is the rock you've been living under?
Check the OPs posting history. All you need to know.

And what did you learn?
Aggie Joe 93
AG
rbcs_2 said:

I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff. I like Sumlin, but don't particularly care for how hands off he was with the players. His staff felt so comfortable with things that they chose not to tell him? Seems very odd.

I agree it's an indictment of the coaching, but not from a player discipline angle (which it was an issue) but more from the lack of value of these practices and walk thrus.

If JFF has struggled, or caused issues with the offense that game it would be different.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Wait, why don't you like what you just read? That's a great story.
crazeyalex
I did think it was strange how much he spilled in that interview. But I guess Johnny ok'd it.
99 Luft
In the past, we would identify Johnny as a "functioning alcoholic." Is that still an acceptable designation or descriptor?

I'm gonna need a ruling from the PC Court of Appeals.
Bill Superman
AG
It all makes sense now. Nobody wants to get tackled with a hangover.

Another take from this story is Kliff knew he needed to cover for jff in order to insure his future pay check.
85AustinAg
AG
This is somehow Kliff's fault? We were all Johnny enablers. We were along for the ride and didn't want it to end. If you didn't know about shenanigans you haven't been paying attention.
99 Luft
If only Johnny would have had the same drive and temperance he has now...

PatAg
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

rbcs_2 said:

I see it more as an indictment on the coaching staff. His staff felt so comfortable with things that they chose not to tell him? Seems very odd.

I don't think this was the case. I had a friend on the coaching staff, and right after this happened, I was down there for a game. The first thing he said was, "this guys gonna get suspended, he's an idiot" about JFF and then relayed the missing meetings story along with the alarm clock excuse. I don't think most staff liked it, but ultimately it's Sumlin's call. JFF also made some staffers a lot more money, so keeping your mouth shut benefitted in the end.
Sounds like your friend is a coward.
99 Luft
I don't care if we have players on heroin as long as they deliver on Saturday and get us a crystal football. Call me a heartless, selfish, sellout, win-at-all-cost MFer. Guilty as charged.
Agsgirl
Urban Ag said:

Indeed! I've said it several times...Johnny Football made several people wealthy - especially Stumbling Sumlin, Kliff Throw you under the bus Kingsbury...
TxAg76
AG
In college he rarely went by any playbook anyway.
So missing a few walk-thru's wouldn't have hurt his on-field play regardless.
northeastag
AG
I'm pretty shocked at how many choirboys there are on this board. None of you partied in college. None of you ever slept through the alarm clock?

And few probably really care about something that happened years ago.
JPK89
AG
Sex Panther said:

JPK89 said:

FU KK.

He did no such thing

Guess we'll agree to disagree.

The coaches and players have the unwritten rule of keeping stuff like this in the locker room. For whatever reason KK decides to make it public 5 years later.

At a minimum I think one would ask what purpose does it serve for KK to bring this up now?
Kramer
AG
Offensive meeting:

"OK guys, let's go over Miss St again."

"I got it coach."

"Oh yeah? Well if they come out in zone, what are going to do?"

"Hand the ball off and let 4 future NFL first rounders get us 5 yrds."

"And if they play man? What then, smart guy?"

"Throw it to Mike Evans or hold it for a couple seconds then run for 20 or so yds. Just like last week."

"OK. Meeting over. I need to call my agent anyway."
Kramer
AG
99 Luft
Kramer said:

Offensive meeting:

"OK guys, let's go over Miss St again."

"I got it coach."

"Oh yeah? Well if they come out in zone, what are going to do?"

"Hand the ball off and let 4 future NFL first rounders get us 5 yrds."

"And if they play man? What then, smart guy?"

"Throw it to Mike Evans or hold it for a couple seconds then run for 20 or so yds. Just like last week."

"OK. Meeting over. I need to call my agent anyway."
Would not surprise me one bit.
LEJ
It's a bad look for an HC. I'd bet any recruit would agree.
EastTexasDeerHunterll
Everyone on here talking chit about him would take him back in a heart beat
Bottlehead90
AG
Johnny being Johnny
MondayMorningQB
AG
So a college kid partied. Cool story.

Not sure why some of you are upset. Hell I've seen worse in the professional world that still deliver.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you still produce, have at it. That said, it's like Kliff stated, it's also "not human". Most can't pull that off. So it does make me wonder how prevelant that coaching softness was and how much of a driver it was behind the lack of player development and gradual decline we saw. Seems like it was pretty prevelant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.