Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Old Kyle vs New Kyle

16,972 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texas 1836
StoggyStyle92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bet you typed this on a phone
NWE
AG
DanielWilliams17 said:

I wish you luck on your journey to come

Nino Brown
The old stadium would not have gotten Jimbo
LesterHaze

Many reasons, mostly all previously stated. The culture of the students and former students has really changed over the decades as well. When I was a kid and we were on the road at Rice or in the Astrodome playing UH, every time our kicker made a practice FG in warmup, the crowd would erupt and that was 45 minutes before kickoff.

The thing I noticed years ago that started a major atmospheric decline at KF was the sudden expanded role of the PA announcer. I almost puked the first time I heard Chase Murphy tells us over the PA system 'THAT'S A FIGHTIN TEXAS AGGIE FIRST DOWN"!!!!!

Cell phones
Egghead Top 10% academic students
Ribbon Boards
Emotional Jumbo tron videos

The fans come to KF now expecting visual and audio stimulation to be provided.
Bonnettecj1
Here's what happens when you win at home. It's a miracle.
EliteElectric
Rongagin71 said:

100,000+ can definitely get loud, example that comes to mind is the 2016 Josh Rosen chant...
but I've got to agree the DJ is intrusive, and takes away from the "Aggieness" of the game IMO.
I was on the field during that chant, and have to agree, it was loud. Really loud.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I prefer to watch games from the comfort of my couch, where I have instant access to food and beverages that I enjoy, and watch multiple games at once.

I truly enjoyed the 80's and 90''s at Kyle.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
TellMeMore
Very hard to top Andre Ware losing his helmet and Aaron Wallace letting him know he had found it for him.
EastTexasDeerHunterll
DanielWilliams17 said:

1907 Kyle was the best version. Show data backed evidence to sway that opinion.

Man I remember those days, 1907 Kyle was the best
schmellba99
AG
This subject has been beaten to death since about 1895 or whenever we started playing football.

• New Army has always complained about the fact that Old Army just isn't loud.
  • It was always, and I mean always, better "back in the day when the students were real students!"
  • 3rd thing here

As stated, it all ends up boiling down to the product on the field, and frankly the last 5 or so years, not much to really cheer about on a sustained level. But if you don't think Kyle still doesn't get loud, you are just looking to be contrarian and following the herd with that line of thought, because it does get loud. Tenneessee in 2016 year was hell for loud, even after what felt like a 6 hour game. 2013 Miss State was absolutely deafening at the end. 2014 Alabama, even in a loss, was loud AF when we pushed them to the wire. 2015 South Carolina was loud. UCLA in 2016 was loud.

There hasn't been a whole lot to really thump our chest about because, frankly, our home conference record pretty much sucks. Hard to be loud when you haven't been competitive in a whole lot of games at home in a while. There have always been loud ass games at Kyle, and there have always been games where even the crowd was absolutely apathetic. 1998 Nebraska was the loudest I've ever been in, and that was with half a stadium. It was loud because we went toe to toe with the No. 2 team in the country that day and put the wood to them. 1999 t.u. was beyond loud at the end. 2000 Oklahoma was something else - even though we lost, my ears were ringing because we took the No. 1 team in the country to the wire, and Toombs had one of the single best runs I've ever seen that day. 2010 Nebraska was loud AF as well - one of the last great defensive games I've seen.

Conversely, games like 2000 vs. Colorado at Kyle were lifeless on both the field and in the crowd.

It all depends on the play on the field - good play equates to loud (even from the west stands!). Piss poor play, which is what we've unfortunately seen more of than not, means more time looking at cell phones and watching the jumbotron.

I still wish the ribbon boards, jumbo tron an cell service would go away during games, along with the timeout every 10 minutes to recognize some obscure alumnus or other sport on the field that 8 people clap for - ruins the flow of the game. Let the Yell Leaders and band do their thing, let the game play and hopefully we can put a good product on the field that gets current students off Instagram and former students out of the buffet line and both of them making noise.
rosstradamas70
AG
VivaLaLefty said:

Kyle Field will never be as loud with the old alumni sitting there as if they're watching a golf game.
Kyle field will never be as loud with the students sitting there watching their phones
ross skillman 70
tbirdspur2010
AG
2010 Nebraska.

Change my mind.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I love threads like this so much, I want to marry them and start a family.
Rocag
AG

Old Kyle Field
MsDoubleD81
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

2010 Nebraska.

Change my mind.

That game was magical from start to finish.
MatthewRothell
AG
There is nothing wrong with a DJ..... convince me otherwise. Yes all of you old folks aren't used to Rap/Hip Hop, well I hate to break the news to you but it's not going anywhere.
Ag Tag
rosstradamas70 said:

Kyle field will never be as loud with the students sitting there watching their phones
It's gone forver, just like yesterday's wind.
Krazykat
AG
Physical structure... New Kyle.
Crowd... Old Army.
Agijud
AG
VivaLaLefty said:

Kyle Field will never be as loud with the old alumni sitting there as if they're watching a golf game.

And new Ag students starting at their phones during the entire game focused more on the perfect selfie or snap story instead of screaming their lungs out for their team.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Agijud said:

VivaLaLefty said:

And new Ag students starting at their phones during the entire game focused more on the perfect selfie or snap story instead of screaming their lungs out for their team.

I'm supposed to wear myself out for the team, what team?!?!?
strbrst777
Rap, hiphop, rock, country, jazz, classical or whatever, it has no place at a football game. I'll take the FTA band! It's a football game! I was told that the players like what's played at Kyle Field and that it charges them up and gets them ready to play. I have not seen evidence of better play.
jja79
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Replace the blue hairs in their 60s, 70s and 80s on the west side with Former Students in their 20s, 30s, and 40s and you'll immediately see a difference. When Kyle was loud in the 80s and 90s all of those blue hairs were in their 30s 40s and 50s and still making noise. The NFL crowds in KC, Minnesota, Seattle and Denver are just as electric and intimidating as any College crowd, the difference is people 60 and above typically don't go to NFL games.

Flame away all you want, yes yes yes I understand that those olds built this great University that I love and paid for a lot of the upgrades to the new stadium, but there's definitely an age problem that plagues the west side of Kyle field with "sit down I can't see" and those people aren't making much noise. A lot of them enjoy the inside amenities of the club level as well and aren't even in their seats during major portions of the game. The emptiness of the west side during the 2nd half of the Auburn game in 2015 was downright sickening.

The 20's are all sitting in a bar drinking pomegranate flavored craft beer and only half watching the game.
OrygunAg
AG
Haha, just win. Rest is window dressing. Maybe sell some booze...
SquirrellyDan
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Replace the blue hairs in their 60s, 70s and 80s on the west side with Former Students in their 20s, 30s, and 40s and you'll immediately see a difference. When Kyle was loud in the 80s and 90s all of those blue hairs were in their 30s 40s and 50s and still making noise. The NFL crowds in KC, Minnesota, Seattle and Denver are just as electric and intimidating as any College crowd, the difference is people 60 and above typically don't go to NFL games.

Flame away all you want, yes yes yes I understand that those olds built this great University that I love and paid for a lot of the upgrades to the new stadium, but there's definitely an age problem that plagues the west side of Kyle field with "sit down I can't see" and those people aren't making much noise. A lot of them enjoy the inside amenities of the club level as well and aren't even in their seats during major portions of the game. The emptiness of the west side during the 2nd half of the Auburn game in 2015 was downright sickening.

I went to nfl games at Baltimore and Seattle, both were louder than any A&M game I've been to since 2002.
VivaLaLefty
AG
Right, because the old don't own cell-phones.
wisdom
AG
OLD KYLE FIELD ? YA MEAN THIS ONE ?

OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Can't believe there's an actual debate on when Old Kyle and New Kyle is after we just had a half billion dollar renovation. If you still consider something from 1998 "new" then you're probably an old and definitely stuck in the past.
Jules_Winnfield
Seamaster said:

Old Kyle (circa 1998 - 2015): Raucous and intimidating. No DJ but LOUD.

New Kyle: Corporate and bland. Kind of sucks. Really bad DJ.

Convince me otherwise.

Why convince you?!?! Sounds like you already made up your mind... it's like someone who likes Pepsi over Coca Cola and says "convince me why I should like Coca Cola"
sportsfreak1975
Please do away with the DJ
Gator92
AG
Tex Ags IS the problem! I submit this anecdotal evidence.

While eating lunch at a Chik Fil A between my son's baseball games last fall, I observed a couple of Coeds geared up giggling and staring at their phones. I violated rule #1 due to the fact if I had snapped a pic, they would have called the police on me for being the dirty old man that I am. Sorry to disappoint. My son and I are watching the game via the genius of streaming video to my phone. My curiosity got the best of me and I couldn't help but overhear said coeds. To their delight, we were loosing. Since I am an old, I can't recall which game it was. I do remember it was a home game. After one of them made a comment(again I am an old and can't remember her exact words), I realized they were gleefully watching the meltdown on Tex Ags!

The power of Tex Ags does have a dark side...
AggieBarstool
azulAg said:

They should start selling alcohol
Why? We sell plenty of alcohol already.
Texas 1836
AG
3 things that have changed for the worse

1 - taking away the track. You can barely see the Yell Leaders
2 - shoving the band into a corner. I wind up hearing the visitor band more than the Aggie Band.
3 - taking a BIG section of student section for non student sales, and then sticking students all over the place.
relapse
AG
The only thing I want is for them to remove the microphones and speakers that they installed for the band. That is the most annoying thing I have ever heard. Please just let the band reverberate off the stadium instead of piping them back in even louder.
AgFlags74
AG
Texas 1836 said:

2 - shoving the band into a corner. I wind up hearing the visitor band more than the Aggie Band.
3 - taking a BIG section of student section for non student sales, and then sticking students all over the place.

Removing students from behind the visitor bench and moving the Aggie Band down are all SEC rules. Our students are loud but behave. SEC had LOTS of trouble for years from students throwing stuff at visiting teams, etc. Instead of punishing the offenders, they punished ALL students by pushing them out.
AgFlags74 - College Station TX
Texas 1836
AG
AgFlags74 said:

Texas 1836 said:

Removing students from behind the visitor bench and moving the Aggie Band down are all SEC rules. Our students are loud but behave. SEC had LOTS of trouble for years from students throwing stuff at visiting teams, etc. Instead of punishing the offenders, they punished ALL students by pushing them out.
I'm aware.

But there could have been exceptions made. Like the stupid MSU cowbells. Either they want us or not

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.