Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Old Kyle vs New Kyle

16,973 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texas 1836
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old Kyle (circa 1998 - 2015): Raucous and intimidating. No DJ but LOUD.

New Kyle: Corporate and bland. Kind of sucks. Really bad DJ.

Convince me otherwise.
pingpro4
AG
tk for tu juan
I'm convinced you picked the wrong years for Old Kyle and loud
alamoaggie 64
I agree with you.
BeardedWoodsman17
AG
1907 Kyle was the best version. Show data backed evidence to sway that opinion.
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Al Bula
AG
Terrible use of a trump meme
tk for tu juan
DanielWilliams17 said:

1907 Kyle was the best version. Show data backed evidence to sway that opinion.

As that old saying goes, you really can't tell a difference in crowd noise once you get to 500 spectators.
BoxingAg84
Old Kyle Field (1990 - 1999)
CampingAg
AG
It's the college football version of old Yankee Stadium vs. new Yankee Stadium.
Mike Elko
AG
RPM said:

Terrible use of a trump meme
Not to mention, the your/you're thing.
VivaLaLefty
AG
Kyle Field will never be as loud with the old alumni sitting there as if they're watching a golf game.
BeardedWoodsman17
AG
Right? Anything more and it is just a non factor. Plus you did not have to worry about a DJ or embarrassing ourselves on national TV.

Those were the days....
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
yell_on_6th st
AG
85 tu, eot
busmasterjones91
AG
85 tu, 87 tu, 89 tu. LOUD!
I support my Aggies 100% win or lose, without complaint and without reservation.
champagnepapi
The old stadium looked like ass
BeardedWoodsman17
AG
You can go suck on a bag of butt toots.......Well worded argument, I loved your use of facts and statistics to effectively prove why it sucked. Let me guess, you're an adjunct professor for the communications department teaching debate?
jsamjenkins
AG
Old Kyle 1972-1998.
Rongagin71
AG
100,000+ can definitely get loud, example that comes to mind is the 2016 Josh Rosen chant...
but I've got to agree the DJ is intrusive, and takes away from the "Aggieness" of the game IMO.
rrtodds
AG
I just want to hear the sound of the fta band playing ... coming from the direction where the band is actually playing.

Never needed the band miked before ... but if It has to be miked, put the speakers by the band rather than 80 yards away in the south end zone. I hate the miked sound of the band coming from where the band's not!
jeeptoy91
AG
tk for tu juan said:

I'm convinced you picked the wrong years for Old Kyle and loud
Truth. The days when it rained cotton comes to mind. Ears were ringing and voice was shot.
Class of 1985 Building Construction
ColoradoMooseHerd
busmasterjones91 said:

89 Houston - Andrew Ware Helmet game was the loudest
McInnis80
In the late 70's when I was the school, he band played while plays were being run. They quieted down when the Ags came to the line, but at that time plays were called in the huddle. I know, what's a huddle? Of course very few games were on TV which meant fewer media timeouts.

The huddle gave fans a chance to few seconds before the snap. Also teams just came to the line and called the play instead of waiting for the pre snap read. But in the 70's the play sheet was Woodard up the middle, Woodard up the middle, Dickey to the short side of the field and punt.

P.C. Principal
Old Kyle: Ugly and dilapidated. Horseshoe. Loud.

New Kyle: Great looking stadium, new, state of the art, fully enclosed. Very loud. However, we could do without the DJ.

I understand being nostalgic for days past, but the new Kyle is eons better.
BeardedWoodsman17
AG
P.C. Principal said:

New Kyle: Great looking stadium, new, state of the art, fully enclosed. Very loud. However, we could do without the DJ.

Uh Oh! You just fell into a very common trap, you should never claim that something is better than did not exist when the former students were in college. Not to worry, expect many former students to hit you with hate and then go on to talk about the glory days of when they went to school and due to the memories they become blinded by facts and spew nothing but unintelligent rants. It is fun to see them get hot over such nonsense.

I wish you luck on your journey to come
Builder93
AG
Old Kyle: Guano. No bueno.

New Kyle: No Guano. Bueno.
busmasterjones91
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

busmasterjones91 said:

89 Houston - Andrew Ware Helmet game was the loudest
Yessir! 1989 Aaron Wallace ripping off Andre Ware's helmet was a fantastic display of the power of Kyle Field.

I believe there was a video produced sometime in the late 1980's about how A&M had some phenomenal winning percentage at home.

A&M's Kyle Field become one of the hardest places for opponents to play during Slocum's tenure, losing only 12 games at home in 14 years. For over a year, A&M held the longest home-winning streak in the nation, losing in 1989 and not again until late in 1995. In the 1990s, A&M lost only four times at Kyle Field. Slocum was named SWC Coach of the Year three times during his tenure as head coach.

WOW! THAT was the power of Kyle and the 12th Man. We need to Reclaim Kyle!
I support my Aggies 100% win or lose, without complaint and without reservation.
oklacityag75
AG
Until the half a billion dollar new Kyle gets as loud as 1985 Kyle, it ain't even on the same page.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG

A&M's Kyle Field become one of the hardest places for opponents to play during Slocum's tenure, losing only 12 games at home in 14 years. For over a year, A&M held the longest home-winning streak in the nation, losing in 1989 and not again until late in 1995. In the 1990s, A&M lost only four times at Kyle Field. Slocum was named SWC Coach of the Year three times during his tenure as head coach.

We were good back then. We were loud because we were good. Once we are good and are playing meaningful games, it will be loud. The end
Albert Ag
AG
Get out of my yard!
zephyr88
AG
P.C. Principal said:

Old Kyle was better in September... New Kyle is hot as balls.
AgCat93
AG
champagnepapi said:

The old stadium looked like ass

Looked like ass - yes? Smelled like it in some places.

But it served a darn good purpose during its prime.
ApachePilot
AG
Old Kyle had something new Kyle doesn't, the Wrecking Crew. Sustained noise really comes from the defense. It's tough to get up when you are giving up 1st downs over and over. 3rd and 15? First down!
I loved going to games in the 90s when guys like Sam Adams blew through double teams to crush QBs.

Old Kyle was so basic is looked tough. Something from the USSR. Matched our take your head off defense. Nothing fancy just out man you. Come in here and get your bell rung!

I keep hoping for the defense to return to the days of the WC. When it does the noise will follow
Aftermath
AG
1970's 80's 90's.........Old Kyle was better not because of the stadium, but because of the Student Body. No cell Phones, No AC to escape to, everyone stayed until the bitter end (win or Lose), Kids that attended A&M went there because they wanted to be AGGIES. Much more enthusiasm, respect for traditions, participation by all. Less top 10%, Much less ," I came here because I applied to Texas and A&M,and this is where I Landed". More loyal Rural Kids...fewer entitled city brats.....Sorry,but this is the ugly truth.
fireinthehole
Team has sucked since 13. They have not done anything to promote or sustain loud. Wait and see what happens with the D we are building. Then we can compare. Our defense has particularly sucked. Defense wins AND causes LOUD
You are the world, we are the USA, don't mess with us and we won't blow your $hit away.
aggiepublius
AG
Not sure if the Kyle will ever be as energetic and loud as it was in the past.

And it has nothing to do with the DJ - it is everyone that is looking at their phones - students and old Ags both. I realized how much of an impact phones make on stadium atmosphere when I was looking back at some video of Olsen from the 1989 season. There was just no break in the noise and energy. It was nuts the difference from how students and the crowd kept interacting and celebrating big plays. Now people look down to tweet/text/check scores/whatever.

And the 90's was the age of stifling defense and big hits sending the crowd into raucous celebration. The current rules of the game and official reviews just have killed that. The Wrecking Crew kept Kyle rocking in a way that even the most high energy offense doesn't seem to match since the crowd has to be quieter when the O has the ball.

The DJ still sucks though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.