Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arkansas series question

5,682 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by twk
CASHMONEYAGGIE2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much would is cost us to buyout the rest of the Jerryworld games and return this to home/away ?

Does anyone know ? What keeps this from happening ? If our pockebooks are that bottomless (Jimbo contract), the feasibility of this seems like a no brainer.

With info on what Alabama is doing regarding bringing in more high profile home/away games, and less neutral sites to increase season ticket holder value...its worth discussion.
Raptor
AG
This is the only game we get in the metroplex, unless we schedule someone up there.

How does going to Arky help us, when we can keep the series in Texas?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Punked Shank
AG
It helps arky more than it helps us. Another home game is always better.
GSPag`
This game helps pay the salary you mention.

No way Arky and Jerry would agree to a buyout.
McInnis80
We are stuck with this trip to Arlington for several more years. The new has worn off of Jerry World and I think the Arkansas fan base is getting tired of the arrangement also, especially since they lose every year. Our AD should speak to their AD about not renewing the contract. I know their administration still thinks the game is a big deal, as the school has meetings and other events in Dallas surrounding the game. UA is drawing more students from DFW every year due to the 10% rule, so this gives students an annual weekend at home.

Let the Hogs schedule TCU, Tech or Baylor in Jerry World. Having three home conference games every other year is not good.
Raptor
AG
McInnis80 said:

Having three home conference games every other year is not good.

Yes it is. It means one less home loss every other year.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

arontc09
AG
What are you even talking about? We haven't lost to Arky since we moved to the SEC.
jja79
AG
In the year we're the home team tickets should be part of our season ticket package at no additional cost. Its absurd what donations have become when you look at 3 of 7 home games being directional dogs.
Cancelled
AG
I enjoy going to Jerry World. Bathrooms and beer are always close to the seats. It's beautiful venue.
BTKAG97
AG
We should allow t.u. a chance to play us once if they take our spot.

That way they can get their asses beat twice in Dallas every year.
CASHMONEYAGGIE2002
AG
For every year that goes by, I have found that the reasons for people who want to keep it in Arlington keep becoming more trivial.

The recruiting d/fw exposure has waned since we joined the SEC (no longer needed since no longer in big 12), the 'conveniences' that Jerryworld provides that are unlike the Kyle Field/college station tailgate experience, the declining attendance of both schools.

Buy it out.

Win At Life
AG
The AR neutral site game deal was struck when we were in different conferences. Now that we're in the same conference, it makes less sense, but Jerry dick won't let us back out of the deal. I fully expect neither school to want to renew the deal once it expires. They only stupid in how all this went down is that in an era of conference realignment, our lawyers struck a 1000 year deal with no unwind clause for conference realignment. All our lawyers should be fired for this. But instead, I'm sure they all got big raises. F--k lawyers.
schmellba99
AG
Win At Life said:

The AR neutral site game deal was struck when we were in different conferences. Now that we're in the same conference, it makes less sense, but Jerry dick won't let us back out of the deal. I fully expect neither school to want to renew the deal once it expires. They only stupid in how all this went down is that in an era of conference realignment, our lawyers struck a 1000 year deal with no unwind clause for conference realignment. All our lawyers should be fired for this. But instead, I'm sure they all got big raises. F--k lawyers.

The deal was re-negotiated with the conference alignment. We got a few things out of it:

1. 2012 and 2013 were home/home games and not at Jerryworld to innagurate the new conferences
2. We got LSU on Thanksgiving weekends. Had we not made the long term deal, we would have been likely playing Missouri or somebody that doesn't mean squat to us as our Thanksgiving annual game. Yeah, a few years of playing Arkansas in DFW is well worth that tradeoff alone.
3. We got Thanksgiving day when the LSU game is at Kyle, even though the tiggers wanted it on Friday or Saturday.

Jerry and Arkansas got the contract extended in DFW for a few more years.

My God, some of you are beyond hope with actually knowing what the deals were and not being able to look past the hissy fit tears on your cheek. The game won't always be in DFW, odds are after this agreement is up it will go back to a home and home series - then you'll probably beetch and moan about the fact that it's in Fayettville every other year and how much of a PITA it is to get there and having to spend time around inbred hillbillies and what not.

Grow the F up, enjoy the fact that we get some really good exposure out of the game, we get a game in DFW, we have been winning the damned game consistently and admit that it's still a fun game. Or quit watching, whatever. But quit complaining and making up **** about the series that just doesn't exist.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Calm down, Nancy.
schmellba99
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Calm down, Nancy.

I cannot let ignorance slide. It is my cross to bear.
BMX Bandit
Where are you getting playing LSU in thanksgiving day rather than Saturday is tied to Arkansas series?
NyAggie
AG
We have had the better team so the neutral site actually helps us by arky never having a home field advantage to help with an upset
Win At Life
AG
I attended the game in 2013. It's actually I nice setting there in the ozark mountains and we were never treated badly by their fans. It's probably not much a farther drive for our Dallas guys to make than CS. I believe the home and home games in the future will be well received all things considered.
hogfan14
McInnis80 said:

I think the Arkansas fan base is getting tired of the arrangement also.

Arkansas announced yesterday that they will play Missouri in Little Rock every other year, which means in 2019 there will be TWO SEC games on campus in Fayetteville.

It's aggravating to 70% of Hog fans. Especially since we just spent $180 million on an endzone renovation and expansion to Razorback Stadium.
TowerAg90
AG
Fayettenam >> JerryWorld. Home & Home... bring it back!!
OklahomaSooner Ag
AG
At least you can buy beer in Jerry World...
NumberEinAg
AG
I love it! I hope we play there for the next 20 years!!
TexanJeff
AG
It was better when we were in the Big12 and needed the exposure. Now, it's just an expensive conference game that helps Arky more that is.
BQ78
AG
Is that what you call that $10 sex in a canoe?
greg.w.h
AG
Let Jimbo decide how best to address recruiting DFW. If he thinks the game helps then keep it. It allows effectively an extra unofficial visit since potential athletes can go to the game and introduce themselves and potentially absorb the cost even in "away game" years.

The rest is just typical complaining anytime Aggies don't control the decision. We can influence the next decision by various means including not going. But it really is better when the school honors contracts.
Agsgirl
coastsrs said:

It helps arky more than it helps us. Another home game is always better.
Under KDS' tenure, our home field advantage didn't seem too advantageous. Keep it at JerryWorld...
carbon copy
I may have missed it, but when does the contract expire?
West Point Aggie
AG
carbon copy said:

I may have missed it, but when does the contract expire?

I believe 2024 but it can probably extended any time if both schools agree
aggiehawg
AG
hogfan14 said:

McInnis80 said:

Arkansas announced yesterday that they will play Missouri in Little Rock every other year, which means in 2019 there will be TWO SEC games on campus in Fayetteville.

It's aggravating to 70% of Hog fans. Especially since we just spent $180 million on an endzone renovation and expansion to Razorback Stadium.
One would think that the hogs administration would want another true home game after that deal. Very disappointing.
twk
AG
Quote:

2. We got LSU on Thanksgiving weekends. Had we not made the long term deal, we would have been likely playing Missouri or somebody that doesn't mean squat to us as our Thanksgiving annual game. Yeah, a few years of playing Arkansas in DFW is well worth that tradeoff alone.
That is a frequently stated myth along the same lines of Ann Richards getting Baylor into the Big XII. Once the decision was made that Arkansas would be Missouri's permanent cross divisional opponent, that game had to be played the final weekend, lest Missouri (and A&M) end up with an open date on the five years out of every sixi in which A&M and Missouri are not on each others schedue. The othef ten SEC teams (including all six East teams) have rivalry matchups that weekend, and SEC rules require every team to play that weekend so that a championship game participant does not have the advantage of an off week before the championship game.
twk
AG
hogfan14 said:

McInnis80 said:

I think this may be an indication that the A&M series is heading back to campus sooner or later. Think about how that would handicap recruiting to only have two conference games every year to get your recruits on campus. Whatever benefit you might get from increased exposure in DFW is more than offset by not getting recruits on campus for a big game weekend.
schmellba99
AG
twk said:

Quote:

That is a frequently stated myth along the same lines of Ann Richards getting Baylor into the Big XII. Once the decision was made that Arkansas would be Missouri's permanent cross divisional opponent, that game had to be played the final weekend, lest Missouri (and A&M) end up with an open date on the five years out of every sixi in which A&M and Missouri are not on each others schedue. The othef ten SEC teams (including all six East teams) have rivalry matchups that weekend, and SEC rules require every team to play that weekend so that a championship game participant does not have the advantage of an off week before the championship game.
And LSU, I believe, historically played Arkansas that weekend. Before the first realignment, it was kind of a crapshoot for them that weekend.

If it's a myth, I'd like to see where it was not part of the deal when the realignment went down. Everything I remember reading back then (admittedly, it's been a long time ago now) was that LSU agreed to go from Arky to A&M that weekend as part of the entire schedule changes.

BMX Bandit
If that were the case, why didn't that start immediately?

I don't remember Arkansas in Dallas being tied to making LSU game the last game of the year, and I'm positive it had nothing to do with game being on Thanksgiving.
Madman
AG
I would rather have another game at Kyle Field. But this is good for our recruiting. And it doesn't really matter that it helps Arkansas. Every recruit they take helps keep down other Texas schools that we compete with. Besides we should always out recruit Arkansas.
BQ_90
AG
Madman said:

I would rather have another game at Kyle Field. But this is good for our recruiting. And it doesn't really matter that it helps Arkansas. Every recruit they take helps keep down other Texas schools that we compete with. Besides we should always out recruit Arkansas.
How is it good for recruiting? Do these recruits never come to campus so this is their one shot to see us play?

It's not like we can have players on the sidelines every year.

Does the Dallas media give us huge pub this game, my guess is it's not even a blip on the Dallas media radar
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.