Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Football talk: Going deep

3,693 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by coupland boy
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome, in-depth article on the origins / evolution of going deep and other similar routes in the passing game. Includes Spurrier, Favre, West Coast offensive concepts, and some Xs & Os talk. Something to keep this off-season from being so damn boring. Long read, but ton of interesting tidbits of knowledge:

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-science-of-the-post-going-deep-with-mills#more-5108

"I have an admission to make: while I love a well executed power sweep or double-A gap blitz, and I'm a sucker for a well timed shallow cross or screen pass, and while I even get a little tingly when I see a run fit that stuffs a runner or when triple option quarterback fakes the pitch before cutting upfield, there is absolutely nothing nothing in football that I love more than a perfectly thrown deep post that hits a streaking receiver in stride for a touchdown. If there is one play one image that is totally unique to the sport, this is it: the play that would be illegal if not for the game's early rule changes to permit the forward pass; the play that would be unfathomable without the game's early innovators; the play that looks at the scrum at the line of scrimmage the part of the game most tied to football's past and essentially says, screw it, we'll just throw the ball over the top of all that. It is, in short, the play that makes the sport what it is."
Rysad13
While I agree with you that the deep ball is exciting and changed the game. The deep ball is still no substitute for a good running game and blocking and tackling. If you look back on most teams that win National Championships they can run the ball and play defense. That is why when I saw we hired Sumlin I knew we could win some games but couldn't win a championship. A defense can get over a big play pretty quick and make adjustments to stop that, but there is not adjustments to make when getting your nose bloodied on a 12 play drive. It will kill your moral knowing your just got your butt kicked. I hope Fisher brings the mentality that we can bloody peoples nose and then have that open up that deep ball.
Twelfthman99
AG
Baylor has us beat when it comes to killing morals.
Win At Life
AG
Quote:

we'll just throw the ball over the top of all that. It is, in short, the play that makes the sport what it is."

When I read this, the first thing that comes to my mind is Kevin Smith out working the receiver for the ball. Most of the plays I can remember that makes the sport what it is to me are defensive plays. But that's the way the sport was and not the way the sport is these days. That's part of what it is that makes it harder and harder for me to watch each year. Guess I'm just too old school for all these new rules changes that favor the offense.
pv
Some of you people have PTSD.

Tamu_mgm
AG
I don't think the author is saying the deep ball itself alone is what makes the game what it is, but is more inferring to the evolution of offensive football as a whole. Author is a really bright football mind, so I don't think running the football is past him at all, he's just framing the article from the perspective of how offensive football changed dramatically with going deep, and more specifically routes coming from a post pattern.
JackBurton
AG
Long sentences about long routes...is that meta?
Redrooster
Baylor did it well during AB years
Ogre09
AG
Twelfthman99 said:

Baylor has us beat when it comes to killing.

FIFY
Al Bula
AG
Thread title Sounds like a longhorn movie.

Meximan
It would be nice to go deep just once.

Wait, y'all were talking football?
FishingAggie
RPM said:

Thread title Sounds like a longhorn movie.

I want to google that.
See if it's real or not. I can't though. I'm afraid it is.
I typed it in twice ....
No way that's a real. ...
Not doing it.
Aginnebraska
AG
I was seriously misled by the title to this thread. Oh yeah OP...TLDR.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Rysad13 said:

While I agree with you that the deep ball is exciting and changed the game. The deep ball is still no substitute for a good running game and blocking and tackling. If you look back on most teams that win National Championships they can run the ball and play defense. That is why when I saw we hired Sumlin I knew we could win some games but couldn't win a championship. A defense can get over a big play pretty quick and make adjustments to stop that, but there is not adjustments to make when getting your nose bloodied on a 12 play drive. It will kill your moral knowing your just got your butt kicked. I hope Fisher brings the mentality that we can bloody peoples nose and then have that open up that deep ball.
You might remember Alabama winning this year's NC on a deep ball down the sideline. When the average pass attempt goes for 7-10 yards and the average rush goes for 4-6 it's hard to say the run game is more important. We can probably both agree that being effective at both is the most important thing.
Rysad13
I agree being good at both is the best thing, but how many times do you see a balanced attack. I was just saying that to win championships it still comes down to blocking and tackling and a "shove it down your throat" run game.
coupland boy
AG
Twelfthman99 said:

Baylor has us beat when it comes to killing morals.

And going in deep.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.