Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Practice helmets

10,458 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MR Gadsden
Kozmozag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are the soft helmets a view of the future?
12thmanfootball
AG
Leftovers from Sumlin's country club.
pv
Yeah, I think it reduces head trauma. A good thing if we want to see football last or care about the player.
WES2006AG
AG
It might help but it doesn't stop the brain from slamming in to the skull which is the real problem.
Cancelled
AG
Have you guys ever watched nascar? You ever seen those guys crash and get seriously injured? Or bullriders get their spines snapped by a bull? Or a baseball fly into a guy's head? Yeah..sports have risks. If players wish to weigh the risks and rewards, then it should remain the same, with small changes to mitigate unnecessarily dangerous hits.

IMHO the big problem was if there was a cover up.
C Loves L
WES2006AG said:

It might help but it doesn't stop the brain from slamming in to the skull which is the real problem.

You beat me to it.

This is the correct answer
C Loves L
The problem in football these days is the average player regardless of their position has gotten faster. The quicker it takes from top speed to a complete stop is the issue. Just an example but... A car traveling 15 mph and slamming into a tree compared to a car traveling 20 mph and slamming into a tree. It may not sound like much but it is. For sure when dealing with the human brain
MouthBQ98
AG
It's all about slowing the rate of deceleration of the head in an impact with another object or surface. Every little bit helps.
Lateralus Ag
AG
If you want to prevent brain injuries, don't slam your head into another human repeatedly for years.

If you want to play football, you risk brain injuries.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. The players know the risk.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

If you want to prevent brain injuries, don't slam your head into another human repeatedly for years.

Until they are too dumb to know the risk. Then it goes into our legal system, which is set up to give any moron anything if they spend enough money.

Which is what the people trying to file these lawsuits are, rich morons.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Until they are too dumb to know the risk. Then it goes into our legal system, which is set up to give any moron anything if they spend enough money.

Which is what the people trying to file lawsuits are, rich morons.

Excellent point. That and lawyers. **** em all.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

I played tackle football for 7 years and never considered the risk of a brain injury. I'm sure most of my teammates didn't think about it either. I thought concussions were temporary. I think you're absolutely wrong if you think most players actually think about the long term risks when they decide to strap on a helmet.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The term punchdrunk has existed for over 100 years. People have known this forever. Getting hit in the head repeatedly makes you dumber. Should roughnecks start suing oil companies when they lose a finger on a rig? No. It's expected. That's why they get paid more, because they are taking that risk.
Lateralus Ag
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Lateralus Ag said:

I played tackle football for 7 years and never considered the risk of a brain injury. I'm sure most of my teammates didn't think about it either. I thought concussions were temporary. I think you're absolutely wrong if you think most players actually think about the long term risks when they decide to strap on a helmet.

I think you're wrong. If a kid (or his parents) aren't aware of the risks today, they are just willfully ignorant.
AggieFabricator
Lane Frost approves this message..
bedofbrass33
AG
Would be interesting to see weight limits placed on each position.

275 lb linemen, 200 lb LBs, 175 lb receivers and backs. Would theoretically make the collisions less violent.
Whatthefunyo
C Loves L said:

The problem in football these days is the average player regardless of their position has gotten faster. The quicker it takes from top speed to a complete stop is the issue. Just an example but... A car traveling 15 mph and slamming into a tree compared to a car traveling 20 mph and slamming into a tree. It may not sound like much but it is. For sure when dealing with the human brain

LOL this is a HORRIBLE comparison.

You are talking about super masses of steel with 5 MPH of velocity difference.

Football is a matter of 1 MPH difference with 200 lbs. men running into each other.

While I don't deny that is a lot of force, your comparison sucks ass.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Football is a matter of 1 MPH difference with 200 lbs. men running into each other.

Plus a full grown oak tree is easily a ton or two. Being compared to another 200 pound man.
Cancelled
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Sometimes I hate this place.
C Loves L
Champ Bailey said:

Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Plus a full grown oak tree is easily a ton or two. Being compared to another 200 pound man.

Doesn't even matter. You see players going full speed then being decleated all the time. Full speed to an abrupt and violent stop is what's causing the brain to crash into the inside of the skull.

It's happening more violently and more often now than it was 30+ years ago

It all starts with the increase of speed and size of today's football players
C Loves L
Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

I take it you too have had one too many concussions given your response

A linebacker today runs at least 1-2mph more than a linebacker from the 70s

Couple that with taking hit after hit for years adds up tremendously. Even the equipment used in football today helps players with quickness and speed

Id love for you to give your opinion on why brain injuries are more prevalent in football today than in the past
usmcbrooks
Champ Bailey said:

The term punchdrunk has existed for over 100 years. People have known this forever. Getting hit in the head repeatedly makes you dumber. Should roughnecks start suing oil companies when they lose a finger on a rig? No. It's expected. That's why they get paid more, because they are taking that risk.

Marines say, can I have another crayon? Nomm nomm nomm. Wait, what did he say?
cc10106
Lateralus Ag said:

After growing up playing tackle football for years with no pads and loving it, I quit after one year of full contact football in pads. As much fun as it was, going home constantly with headaches was enough for me to know what was going on and didn't need a doctor to tell me. When I saw players using their helmet as a weapon and being rewarded by not being punished for it, it wasn't worth the risk of playing with idiots who couldn't respect a great sport.
champagnepapi
TX scallywAG
AG
C Loves L said:

WES2006AG said:

You beat me to it.

This is the correct answer

Do all the positions were these? I saw the line wearing them first. No reason not to prevent the constant, smaller hits they take in practice. Nearly every drill they run involves some hit. That's much different than DB or RB drills. They're finding out those constant linemen hits are just as bad or worse than the bigger hits from skills positions occasionally.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
P.U.T.U
AG
Stop using helmets, not too many people will go full speed head first right into another person
Tursiops93
AG
This is pure speculation on my part, but it seems that the use of these helmets is not so much for safety or reducing injury in practice, but to teach the players to play without dropping their head and using it as often. Without the sense of protection/invincibility a helmet provides, they need to use their shoulders and pads better which also teaches better tackling.

Just a guess.
PatAg
AG
Tursiops93 said:

This is pure speculation on my part, but it seems that the use of these helmets is not so much for safety or reducing injury in practice, but to teach the players to play without dropping their head and using it as often. Without the sense of protection/invincibility a helmet provides, they need to use their shoulders and pads better which also teaches better tackling.

Just a guess.

Bingo
Dengus
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I'm an engineer on a rig. Employees that are seriously injured reach settlements with companies all the time...

I'm all for player safety. I also don't want the game to change drastically. This was just a terrible analogy
Batty
So Clemson has been using soft practice helmets for years. Not sure what OP problem with player safety is.

Here is a article from 2013 with them using them

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=208931761
Whatthefunyo
C Loves L said:

Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Couple that with taking hit after hit for years adds up tremendously. Even the equipment used in football today helps players with quickness and speed

Id love for you to give your opinion on why brain injuries are more prevalent in football today than in the past

And I would love for you to change your example, but it just isn't in the cards with you.
C Loves L
Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

And I would love for you to change your example, but it just isn't in the cards with you.

Thanks for proving my point
sharpdressedman
C Loves L said:

Champ Bailey said:

Whatthefunyo said:

C Loves L said:

Doesn't even matter. You see players going full speed then being decleated all the time. Full speed to an abrupt and violent stop is what's causing the brain to crash into the inside of the skull.

It's happening more violently and more often now than it was 30+ years ago

It all starts with the increase of speed and size of today's football players
Yep. F=M*A, and the players are both heavier and faster than ever before.
CatmanBoo
WES2006AG said:

no shid, sherlock
Maroon from the womb.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to decrease the risks where we can.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.