Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo has the 'it' factor. Finally excited for a coach at A&M.

11,194 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Little Rock Ag
IDaggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was very skeptical of Fran, Sherman, and Sumlin. None of them seemed to have the 'it' factor or a true winning mentality, save for 2012 thanks to Manziel. Jimbo seems like a breath of fresh air and listening to his texags interview really proves how he is on a different level. Finally excited to have a true leader as the A&M coach. BMA may have paid out the ass for this guy, but so far he seems like the real deal here.

[This poster started a positive thread and there were immediately a bunch of Negative Nancy whiners screwing it up. Start your own threads and stay off of this one. -Staff]

IDaggie06
AG
Good point but I have realistic expectations. It's one thing to lose, its another to become non-energetic essentially quit, or make constant excuses like we are used to hearing. I don't see Jimbo being like that, but time will tell.
aggiedent
AG
So..........you're saying Jimbo is an evil clown?
IDaggie06
AG
aggiedent said:

So..........you're saying Jimbo is an evil clown?

Precisely.
IDaggie06
AG
Bone6 said:

Terms "It" Factor and "Heart" are for jackasses calling into Sports Talk radio.
Nice attack, though I never said anything about heart.
NoahAg
Are you saying that Jimbo "gets" A&M?
champagnepapi
As long as he "gets" some wins, idk care what he thinks about our traditions. Let him coach.
IDaggie06
AG
Quote:

We all want Jimbo to like or "get" the A&M culture but winning is the priority. I would say Sherman got A&M extremely well but that sure didn't help us win, particularly in 2nd halves.

Jimbo knows college football and the SEC way more than the past three couches we have had and is a proven winner. You would think my post was negative with most of your responses.
ashley
IDaggie06 said:

I was very skeptical of Fran, Sherman, and Sumlin. None of them seemed to have the 'it' factor or a true winning mentality, save for 2012 thanks to Manziel. Jimbo seems like a breath of fresh air and listening to his texags interview really proves how he is on a different level. Finally excited to have a true leader as the A&M coach. BMA may have paid out the ass for this guy, but so far he seems like the real deal here.

You were sold after an interview?
West Point Aggie
AG
NoahAg said:

Does anyone really GET A&M??
Al Bula
AG
I'm very skeptical of Aggie football after the repeated fails of fran (total fraud), Sherman (good recruiter and role model but not a winner at the college level) and Sumlin (total DGAF, smoke and mirrors). I don't believe any of them wanted to lose but weren't the guy for this job.

Jimbo is a proven commodity. I'm still circumspect and tempering expectations this year but we should be remarkably better in 2 more years.
Charlie 31
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag
IDaggie06 said:

But Chad Morris really gets A&M. Also has the "it" factor.
kbarj
AG
While I like what I am seeing so far, I am looking for a team that plays hard and smart, and makes adjustments at half-time.

My son played FCS for a coach that took over a doormat team and turned it into one where every player who has played all four years has at least one conference championship ring. My son has 3. One thing about that team was that I never found myself asking, "What the hell are they doing/thinking?". And they consistently won the third quarter (with adjustments). I want to see that out of the Aggies.
halfastros81
AG
the proof is in the pudding.... or the whiskey.... or something like that.

I'm optimistic but Iv'e been optimistic with every hf coach we have hired post Tom Wilson. I guess I'm just an optimist. Jimbo is the first guy since Jackie with some actual skins on the wall at this level.

Come to think of it, Jackie didn' t have any skins on the wall when we hired him. He did have 3 consecutive 11-1 seasons at Pitt but no championships.
C Loves L
Creepy clowns
Bayside Tiger Ag
Username checks out
halfastros81
AG
Hasn't. Lost. A. Single. Game. Yet.
Midnight Toker
[Easy permanent ban decision, Rook. -Staff]
australopithecus robustus
Driven. Focused. Competitive. Detail oriented. Practical. Sees between the lines. Experienced. Always seeking to improve his craft. Embraces humility. "It" factor.
Snowball
AG
It really is going to come down to harnessing the "it" factor into wins and performance.

At this level of salary (7.5 million), theres little room for error or excuses.

It also is going to have to be a year in which our secondary works on their technique defending the deep ball.

Point being, and I've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.
BVAg85
AG
I am just waiting for that game that when you watch it, you know the team has suddenly come together and they've made it over the hump. It happened in the 80's against TCU under Jackie Sherrill. It happened in the 90's against San Francisco with the Cowboys. You don't know when it's coming but you know it when you see it. I hope it happens this year but it will probably be next year. I think Fisher is the coach that can make that happen.
jeeptoy91
AG
BVAg85 said:

I am just waiting for that game that when you watch it, you know the team has suddenly come together and they've made it over the hump. It happened in the 80's against TCU under Jackie Sherrill. It happened in the 90's against San Francisco with the Cowboys. You don't know when it's coming but you know it when you see it. I hope it happens this year but it will probably be next year. I think Fisher is the coach that can make that happen.
I remember when it happened under Jackie Sherrill. Once they turned the corner it was a glorious thing to behold. Other teams feared playing the Aggies.
Class of 1985 Building Construction
halfastros81
AG
That TCU game was a great turning point. We had family friends that were big TCU fans but never wanted to go to the TCU/ A&M game because it always went our way. That year TCU was rolling under Wacker and suddenly they were all over going to that game. They never asked again. I have to say I did not see it coming either.

We were actually pretty pedestrian under Jackie up to that point. You could see the team improving over the course of that year but it was nothing super dramatic imo until that day. I don't understand exactly what clicked but once it did ... wow.
92Ag95
AG
Finally, no more field goals on 4th and goal from the 1 yd. line.

...unless, of course, we're down by 1 or 2 with 3 seconds to go in the game.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Quote:

Jimbo seems like a breath of fresh air
You do know he was 5-6 last season in the ACC, right?
My Dad Earl
AG
92Ag95 said:

Finally, no more shotgun formations from the 1 yd. line.

FIFY
dixichkn
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Quote:

Yes Charlene, we've heard that once or twice
aeon-ag
IDaggie06 said:

[This poster started a positive thread and there were immediately a bunch of Negative Nancy whiners screwing it up. Start your own threads and stay off of this one. -Staff]

I've witnessed coaches from Bear Bryant to Sumlin, Bryant and Sherrill were only two which had potential. I will take a wait and see attitude.
ashley
halfastros81 said:

the proof is in the pudding.... or the whiskey.... or something like that.

I'm optimistic but Iv'e been optimistic with every hf coach we have hired post Tom Wilson. I guess I'm just an optimist. Jimbo is the first guy since Jackie with some actual skins on the wall at this level.

Come to think of it, Jackie didn' t have any skins on the wall when we hired him. He did have 3 consecutive 11-1 seasons at Pitt but no championships.

That is a ridiculous statement.
halfastros81
AG
how so?
ag94ag
AG
See, what had happened was, that this dude actually made the dots connect without knowing why.

Fran---- Knew we were done with him when ou beat us like a red headed stepchild.

Sherman-----Knew we were f*cked when we lost to Arkansas St. The people that I knew from HS that were just this side of brain dead, went there.

Secondly, When we came out beating most of our opponents, and then they beat our a*s after the half. That pretty much told us how much we were out-coached.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the dude. Would have loved for him to be my grandpa.

Now Summy. I went to several practices and man it was fun. The dj was killin it, and the kids were having a blast.

However, there was little to no mental toughness being coached. I liked the guy a lot. Moorehead was like a celebrity as well as Myles, after practice.

Sumlin was and is a good dude. He just isn't the guy thats going to be able to win a Natty.

Jimbo is a no frills, no BS dude. He hates to lose and doesn't mind working his ass off to win. The kids respect him and he is making them tough. You're going to see A&M football played like it was back when we had RC, but with an actual offense that puts up points.

illegitima non carborundum
cmarkmat
AG
I'm all in with Jimbo. He is bringing the discipline, the experience, the intelligence, the football smarts that we have been lacking since RC. 9 wins is not out of the question this year. Then we get better from there. Next years recruits will be lining up to get on board after this year.
ABATTBQ11
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Quote:

Yeah... How did he do before that?
TrustinAgs
Jimbo gets us. But doesn't sign the contract?????
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.