Story Poster
Photo by Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Facts are facts: 2018 NFL Draft leaves no doubt about SEC's superiority

April 30, 2018

I’m a peaceful man.

Though by no means a pacifist, I am steadfast in the belief that most conflicts can be resolved through discussion.

But sometimes a discussion can deteriorate into a verbal beatdown. Such an occasion occurred this weekend when I released my inner Ivan Drago and verbally battered an old friend as if he was Apollo Creed.

Longhorn John, as he’s known, has a penchant for living in the past. As I’ve mentioned before, he has a dog named Major, a cat named Earl and an ex-wife who looked like Nobis. He’s really not a bad guy. That is, unless the topic of discussion is college football. Then, he becomes a know-it-all who has to have the last word.

Lately, he’s expanded his allegiance to include the entire Big 12, which he frequently compares to the Southeastern Conference. That’s like comparing a catfish to a great white shark, but he’s relentless. My cell phone rang and John’s named simultaneously appeared.

Hello John.

“How’d you know it’s me?” he said.

Uh… caller ID. What’s up? “What’s up?” he chortled. “The Big 12. That’s what.”

Then, he started talking about the NFL draft.

“Did you see that the first player taken in the draft was from the Big 12 and not your glorious SEC?”

Lately, he’s expanded his allegiance to include the entire Big 12, which he frequently compares to the Southeastern Conference. That’s like comparing a catfish to a great white shark, but he’s relentless.

Yeah, so what’s your point?

“That just shows how good the Big 12 is. The first player in the entire draft was Baker Mayfield. When was the last time an SEC player was taken first?

Last year. “Who?”

Myles Garrett. “Well, defensive ends don’t count.”

Why not?

“Because quarterback is the most important position on the field. It all starts at quarterback. And the Big 12 produces great quarterbacks. Sam Bradford was also a first overall pick. Hell, has the SEC ever had a quarterback picked first?”

Does the name Manning mean anything to you? Or Newton? Or Stafford?

“Those guys were so long ago.”

I guess. Except that Matthew Stafford was taken just one year before Bradford. And Cam Newton was taken one year after.”

He ignored me. Annoyed, I asked him how many other Big 12 players were taken in the first round.

Silence. So, I answered the question.

Baker Mayfield was the only Big 12 player taken in the first round. Ten SEC players were taken in the first round.

“In fact, that’s more first round picks than the Big 12 has had in the last five drafts combined.”

I pointed out that in that five-year span the Big 12 has had nine first round picks. The SEC had 48 first-round picks in that same time period.

“That’s because the Big 12 only has 10 teams. The SEC has 14, so you should have more.”

That’s a valid point. But the Big 12 has still averaged 1.8 first round picks in that period. By comparison, the SEC has averaged 9.6. Divide first round draft picks by teams and the SEC still averages 3.4 to 0.9 for the Big 12.

“We’re talking football, not math,” he argued. “You can make statistics say anything you want.”

These are just facts. And having only 10 teams isn’t an excuse. Central Florida desperately wanted to join the Big 12. Houston did, too.

“They weren’t good enough to be in the Big 12,” he scoffed.

Maybe not. But in the last three years Central Florida has had two first round draft picks — cornerback Mike Hughes and receiver Breshad Perriman. Houston has also had two — defensive backs William Jackson and D.J. Hayden.

Lindsay Caudle, TexAgs
The SEC has had 48 first round draft picks in the last five years. Including last year's No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett.

He dismissed that stat. “Two… big deal,” he scoffed

Well, it is a big deal for the Big 12. Only two Big 12 teams have had two first round picks in the last five years. That’s TCU and West Virginia. Hell, Texas A&M had more than that in 2014. That fact hurt him. It hurt him bad.

Like Drago, I went in for the kill.

A&M has had six first round picks in the last five drafts. That’s three times as many as any Big 12 team. If A&M was still in the Big 12 the Aggies would account for 40 percent of your first round picks. Admit how much you miss A&M. 

Clearly, the Big 12 needed the Aggies much more than the Aggies needed the Big 12.

“Yeah, well, how many championships has the Aggies won since they left the Big 12,” he whined.

The same amount Texas has won since the Aggies left. His frustrated and anger was building. I could sense it. But I also knew he wouldn’t give up that easily.

“Spout off your numbers and ‘facts’ all you want,” he said. “But here’s a fact for you. No matter what you say the first player drafted was from the Big 12. That cannot be denied.

You’re right. I cannot deny that. But can I ask one last question?

“Sure,” he said. “What.”

Has it gotten so bad for you Longhorn fans that you’re now touting the accomplishments of Oklahoma?”

He hung up. He didn’t even try to get the last word.

Discussion from...

Facts are facts: 2018 NFL Draft leaves no doubt about SEC's superiority

25,929 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Artorias
500,000ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mayfield at #1 says more about the Cleveland Browns than The Big 12 or OU.

They could have taken Mayfield at #4. They could have traded back and taken Mayfield at #10-12.
sbs
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

Clearly, the Big 12 needed the Aggies much more than the Aggies needed A&M.
Huh?
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Clearly, the Big 12 needed the Aggies much more than the Aggies needed A&M.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Article reads like an old rivalries spat with a t shirt fan.
ConLaw
AG
el_guapo
A great article because it was a great and convincing argument. Assuming those stats are true, there is NO WAY anyone could argue successfully that the SEC does not have better players than the Big 12.
AustinCountyAg
He's not much of a proof reader..... ever
Meximan
Wow, your friend is an idiot.
StickTogetherAgs
Don't mess w/ OB.
Electric
AG
Probably an article just like this on Horns site that spins things the sip way. Stupid.
Tamu_mgm
AG
el_guapo said:

A great article because it was a great and convincing argument. Assuming those stats are true, there is NO WAY anyone could argue successfully that the SEC does not have better players than the Big 12.

Those stats are all factual, so yes true. The SEC without question has better players / talent / programs in every metric. Factual.
adambyrd
Sorry guys..... I love the Ags but we are riding the coat tails of the SEC right now and we would likely be a 500 team in the Big 12 if we went back.

Who cares how many kids go to the NFL, last year we got spanked by a mediocre K-State team with only 1 NFL pick and M Garrett when #1.

Wake up mates........we dont play Texas anymore. Our rivalries are more the Ark, Ole Miss and MState. I leave out Bama and LSU since they smoke us ever year. We are far from yelling "SEC" at any game.

Hopefully, we are heading in the right direction, but so is Texas and that is good for all college football.
Lateralus Ag
AG
These conference arguments are completely pointless. We would have been an 8-4 team at best in any of the P5 conferences the last few years.

Until we start competing for conference titles, who cares what conference has the most draft picks? Hell, even when we start competing, who cares?
02skiag
AG
Appreciate your contribution, sip.
DayAg!
S
Quote:

Hopefully, we are heading in the right direction, but so is Texas and that is good for all college football
Um no , it's not good for all of college football. Cause once again, you believe tu is all that. Have you forgot Herbie likened your program to a cesspool, on national television. Everyone has made fun of your coach across the country. So obvious every time.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

These conference arguments are completely pointless. We would have been an 8-4 team at best in any of the P5 conferences the last few years.

Until we start competing for conference titles, who cares what conference has the most draft picks? Hell, even when we start competing, who cares?

Lat, where dudes.

It always comes down to who has the bigger dick.

But yes, it be some hard times when we have to resort to riding the draft status of Alabama to prove it.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
dixichkn
AG
It is kind of a pointless article about a rather obvious topic. Sadly, I don't doubt there are countless idiot bovines who refuse to acknowledge the obvious. I know one myself, unfortunately. And it's not even about A&M.....this dipsh** refuses to believe the SEC is superior talent-wise despite getting hit in the face with it EVERY SINGLE DRAFT. This article is meant for those morons.
jrbaggie
Maybe you consider a job down at the sewer treatment plant. You seem suited.
adambyrd
I graduated from A&M and I am not a UT fan.
adambyrd
DayAg! said:

Quote:

Hopefully, we are heading in the right direction, but so is Texas and that is good for all college football
Um no , it's not good for all of college football. Cause once again, you believe tu is all that. Have you forgot Herbie likened your program to a cesspool, on national television. Everyone has made fun of your coach across the country. So obvious every time.

I am an Aggie and not a UT fan at all. Texas is getting better and that is good for both A&M and Texas.
Eike Mlko
Shut up sip.
Eike Mlko
Spanked by kstate? You mean a one score bowl game when half the team sat out? Ok bro.

And Texas isn't getting better. They were an OT game against kstate from being 5-7. They beat a Missouri team in a bowl game without half of the coaching staff. Get over it
ccatag
AG
Well done!
dixichkn
AG
adambyrd said:

I graduated from A&M and I am not a UT fan.
Busted.
PabloSerna
AG
Not really.. I haven't said "t.u." since I was in the Corp. I don't care if other Aggies use it, but it's not for me and I DID graduate from A&M and I happen to be a season ticket holder. So there!

+GIG'EM!!
Artorias
AG
Riding the coattails of a conference that we are average to below average in.

Yay?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.