Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The glaring problem with HS Football in Texas

6,229 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FrickinFracker
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Now I know a lot of this is due to in-state college programs failing to develop talent the last few years and will change soon with Jimbo (and likely Herman), but a lot of it is also due to 7on7 and athletes going to skill positions on offense which are continuing to be undervalued at the NFL level early in the draft.

It's insane to think only 2 Texas HS players were drafted in the 1st round.
Leander - Ag
AG
Soft
John Francis Donaghy
There are plenty on this board who still belive Texas kids are the cream of the crop, just because they're from Texas. There's a reason Fisher is going after kids from the deep south.
FCBlitz
It is all cyclical. Sometimes there are a bunch and sometimes there are some and sometimes there are none.

....not a big deal. Especially since Baylor groped out, Sumlin had stagnated our program. Etc. etc.

Just a down year.
ashley
Florida, Georgia, Mississippi & Louisiana all play 7 o7 and the predominant offensive run in those states is the spread.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

It's insane to think only 2 Texas HS players were drafted in the 1st round.

What's normal? I've never paid attention to that before.
BMX Bandit
Was 4 last year

florida had 0 last year.
Hogtown
ashley said:

Florida, Georgia, Mississippi & Louisiana all play 7 o7 and the predominant offensive run in those states is the spread.
I could be wrong but I believe 7 on 7 is more like a chess club event in Florida. It certainly is not common. I don't know of any high school that plays it, have never seen a game of 7 on 7 played and never seen the results of a 7 on 7 reported on in the sports page.
tamc91
AG
I'm concerned about what seems to be a shift away from tough line and defensive front play in TX, but it is hard to draw sound conclusions based only on the first round picks. You could also say that out of 50 states, Texas has 6% of the picks which doesn't sound too bad. However, when there are only 32 picks it is tough to really determine good trends.

A better metric will be how Texas kids stack up at the end of the draft.

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of drafts by home state over to past 10-20 years?
Bunk Moreland
I'm probably way off base for using just last night as an example of the larger goings on with TX HS, but I'll stick to it since I did it already.

Will be interesting to track the rest of the draft to see how it falls and then compare it to others.

I still think the multi-year run of moving athletes to offensive skill positions has hurt defensive talent in this state, and it's no secret that those same offensive skill positions are what's currently being undervalued at the top level due to market saturation at those positions.
AgGrad99
AG
First pick last year....

First pick this year....
TyperWoods
The Spread as an offense 24x7x365.

94chem
It's not going to change. With a decent spread offense, you can make the play-offs with only minimal work in the weight room and film room. You go 6-4, everybody does a few chest bumps, and if you catch a break, you might win a playoff game since 4 teams from each district make it. Either way, everybody is home for Thanksgiving, the booster club is happy, the players are happy, and life goes on.
Tamu_mgm
AG
I'd like to see this stat on the past 5 years of drafts before I make an educated observation. It is damning in a way, when you take it one year in itself, but it would be either very damning or not a big deal depending on how the last 5+ drafts have gone..
JMR
S
I was told by a coach on our HS staff, that in South TX you're seeing a growing number of coaches going back to the wing-T, wishbone, etc. Power offenses he said will come back as soon as a few of the power teams make waves in the playoffs.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm pretty sure Cy-Fair wasn't a big spread team when they won at state recently.
a.froman
AG
South Texas runs those offenses because they don't have the talent to efficiently run a good spread offense. Plus it is a good way to play keep away from better teams.Also a lot of teams from outside the area that don't see it very much have a hard time defending it. Much like the reasons that Army and Navy run the triple option.
FishingAggie
Jumbo will take our kids. He will make them NFL ready.
GM's know the type of player he puts out.

We'll start sending more kids to NFL.

Kids will come because of that.

We will win many,many games.

Even the zoo shall be happy.

So sayeth I
edwardsk2003
AG
FishingAggie said:

Jumbo will take our kids. He will make them NFL ready.
GM's know the type of player he puts out.

We'll start sending more kids to NFL.

Kids will come because of that.

We will win many,many games.

Even the zoo shall be happy.

So sayeth I

I remember thinking the exact same things about Sherman.... compared his potential to Pete Carroll at USC in how he ran a pro-style offense - which upon development/draft - would appeal dramatically to HS kids and would show up in recruiting.

If only he'd have not blown every lead imaginable in 2011........ b/c the draft picks came to fruition from 2012-2015/16.
TMartin
Is there a University in the Big 12 that doesn't run the spread?
bgrimm05
AG
What state had the most, and how many?
FishingAggie
You're exactly right EXCEPT ( I'm
Banking on this). Jimbo had been in college forever. Never left. Saban left and came back. Think those guys realize they have a formula that works in college and hell, I think he's happy with $75m lol.

I saw fisher say he recruits three classes at once. I've never thought of that. Thought I was pretty smart. I'm not.

He's hitting freshman -seniors at every high school. That's genius. That's part of his formula. He'll do well here. Wish he'd quit telling everyone his secrets. I don't think vodka Tom had though of that.
101%Ag
Look at recruiting rankings for LB's and see how few are from Texas. Line play will always be a "size first" thing where pure numbers of big boys will see Texas continue to produce a fair share. LB is MUCH more of a skill and experience position, and it is not being developed in Texas anymore.

Until we get our LB's from the import section, the defense here will not be SEC-ready.
edwardsk2003
AG
I'm interested to see how Hines does... but as a whole... I'd agree Texas LB just aren't as good as deep south LBs. genetic, developing too early, 7-on-7, all of the above....
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
2/32 players drafted from Texas: 6.25%
1/50 states named Texas: 2%

Sorry, what's the problem?
ashley
Don't blame 7 on 7, it's just played in the summer and helps backers learn to cover. Real football is played in the fall.
Tom Hagen
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

2/32 players drafted from Texas: 6.25%
1/50 states named Texas: 2%

Sorry, what's the problem?
Texas is 10% of the population, and probably 20% of the football playing population.
Toptierag2018
It's also not a coincidence Texas HS football produced the Super Bowl winning QB, Heisman Trophy winner, and NFL draft #1 overall pick this year.

TXAggie2011
AG
Meh.

3 of the top 6 picks last year played their high school football in Dallas/Fort Worth.
94chem
Quote:

Don't blame 7 on 7, it's just played in the summer and helps backers learn to cover.
You mean not learn how to wrap up running backs, shed blockers, and get to the right gap, right?
94chem
Quote:

There's a reason Fisher is going after kids from the deep south.
The almost exlusive pork diet produces a body type that ain't much for telomere length, but sure do plug up the line of scrimmage.
Nino Brown
There's more kids and just as much talent but way more helicopter parents in the state of Texas. Most get softened up and don't know how to fight for anything
ashley
94chem said:

Quote:

Don't blame 7 on 7, it's just played in the summer and helps backers learn to cover.
You mean not learn how to wrap up running backs, shed blockers, and get to the right gap, right?

Since you obviously don't know the answer I'll tell you. They do that in the Spring and all of football season. If you would have played you'd know that.
Jbob88
No instant replay for HS playoff games.
ashley
Only for the state championship games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.