Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Marinate on this ...

6,354 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
DowntownDallas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For all who exacerbate over recruiting, fretting over 3 stars vs. 4 stars vs. 5 stars and who's recruits are ranked higher ...

2 of the top 7 picks in the NFL Draft are former walk-ons.

What was the book on them coming out of high school?

Lateralus Ag
AG
Statistical outliers.
Olaf
AG
Marinate on this: https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruiting-rankings-5-stars-rashan-gary-derrick-brown-demetris-robertson-020116

This is one of many sources that proves there's at least some correlation between recruiting rankings and success. Is it perfect? Nope, look at tu. But it's a great indicator.

In terms of stars and success in the draft: [url]
https://247sports.com/Article/Do-recruiting-rankings-matter-The-2017-NFL-Draft-says-yes-52571897[/url]

Yes, some guys slip through the cracks and some guys bust. But again, there is a significant correlation.

We should be pursuing the top talent on the recruiting trail. This talent is typically accompanied by stars.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Anectdotal events prove nothing.

The statistics Year in and year out disagree with you. Otherewise you would see mpre guys on the draft from Sam Houston and SFA.

Those 2 guys arr anomalies that probably have more grit than anyone in the draft this year. BUT i challenge you to keep score on the hs ranking of each guy that goes in the draft and then diagram it based on where they go in the draft.

X axis... draft number
Y axis composite ranking.

I think you will see a fairly linear progression between stars and draft placement with as usual a few outliers such as these two.
Indignitas
AG
Anecdata (credit: Dr. Mark Blyth)
Buck Nasty
AG
OP, you ever heard of S T A T I S T I C S
Emilio Fantastico
AG
All you have to do is look at the number of first round picks from bama and tOSU the last several years. There have been quite a few.
Those two teams have been at the top of the recruiting rankings the last several years.
Very direct correlation.
TexanJeff
AG
Brilliant.

Let's just wait till after signing day and then get all the 2 stars we want.

We can have our pick of any of the guys who didn't get any offers.

Whole team of walk ons!

Hell, let's just do away with scholarships all together!

Fire Tim Brewster! Obviously he is an idiot.

Hell, let's not even practice!
TexanJeff
AG
Most draft picks the past 10 years: Alabama, LSU (65)
Next best
USC: 62
Ohio State: 56
Florida: 55

Notice anything about the performance of these schools past 10 years compared to us???
Talon2DSO
AG
DowntownDallas99 said:

For all who exacerbate over recruiting, fretting over 3 stars vs. 4 stars vs. 5 stars and who's recruits are ranked higher ...

Not sure you're using the word "exacerbate" correctly.
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
CatmanBoo
Talon2DSO said:

DowntownDallas99 said:

Not sure you're using the word "exacerbate" correctly.

I know, right?! What a maroon.
Maroon from the womb.
DowntownDallas99
exacerbate (third-person singular simple present exacerbates, present participle exacerbating, simple past and past participle exacerbated)
[ol]
  • (transitive) To make worse (a problem, bad situation, negative feeling, etc.); aggravate. quotations The proposed shutdown would exacerbate unemployment problems.
  • [/ol]

This is exactly what I meant.

You people exacerbate over recruiting stars, when some of the best players in the state don't get noticed.

Drew Brees says hello.

Moron.

CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    No... no. That is not a proper way to use exacerbate.
    TexanJeff
    AG
    DowntownDallas99 said:

exacerbate (third-person singular simple present exacerbates, present participle exacerbating, simple past and past participle exacerbated)
    [ol]
  • (transitive) To make worse (a problem, bad situation, negative feeling, etc.); aggravate. quotations The proposed shutdown would exacerbate unemployment problems.
  • [/ol]

You people exacerbate over recruiting stars, when some of the best players in the state don't get noticed.

Drew Brees says hello.

Moron.

Maybe you should look up OUTLIER

The QB position is one of the hardest to predict success at the next level. That's why we ended up with Randy McKown instead of Drew and tu got Gilbert Grape instead of Jamis Winston.

Read a stats book and get back with us.
    CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    Your opinion and thread are bad and you should feel bad.
    Windy City Ag
    AG
    I have always wondered what you would get if you extend the analysis to actual NFL production. This analysis of the Pats starting lineup was fascinating. They featured almost all 3 star or unranked guys in the starting lineup except for a handful of 4 stars and one 5 star.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/1/23/16920720/super-bowl-2018-patriots-eagles-high-school-recruiting-ratings
    Arthur Stilwell
    DowntownDallas99 said:

2nd - Saquon Barkley: 4*
    3rd - Sam Darnold: 4*
    4th - Denzel Ward: 4*
    5th - Bradley Chubb: 3*
    6th - Quenton Nelson: 4*

Obviously, you're more likely to get drafted in the top 7 if you're at least a 4*.

So you still want to build your team with a bunch of walk-ons and 2* recruits? The odds are not in your favor.
    Windy City Ag
    AG
    Simillar story for the Steelers

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/12324/recruiting-rewind-a-lot-of-how-five-steelers-players-were-rated-coming-out-of-high-school
    CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    Why you passing over the Eagles part of that first story? That was a large # of 4 and 5 Star guys...
    TheFirebird
    AG
    I'm done marinating. Turns out that statistically, higher ranked recruits are more likely to be drafter highly.
    rrtodds
    AG
    Careful, now. Doesn't exacerbating cause blindness?
    TheFirebird
    AG
    There may be something to the theory that Texas high school football players, especially at skill positions, receive better coaching and conditioning, so that they look better than their more raw colleagues in the SE but have a lower ceiling.

However, Baker Mayfield would seem to be exhibit 1A of the "don't trust a kid who put up crazy numbers in Texas HS but doesn't have the measurable", and look where that got him.
    Synopsis
    TexanJeff said:

Next best

Notice anything about the performance of these schools past 10 years compared to us???
    If Alabama were a pro team, they'd probably be a perennial playoff contender.
    Talon2DSO
    AG
    DowntownDallas99 said:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

Drew Brees says hello.

Moron.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but a transitive verb is a bit different than a verb. You're using a transitive verb as a verb. It's a subtle difference but a difference nonetheless
    "Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
    CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    Talon2DSO said:

DowntownDallas99 said:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

Drew Brees says hello.

Moron.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but a transitive verb is a bit different than a verb. You're using a transitive verb as a verb. It's a subtle difference but a difference nonetheless

No, you're correct. No object in the sentence to be exacerbated.
    CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    Synopsis said:

TexanJeff said:

Next best

Seems possible they might struggle due to lack of a competent QB, but yes I think they'd be quite good in other phases of the game. Maybe the good skill positions could cover up the QB's deficiencies.
    Emilio Fantastico
    AG
    Synopsis said:

TexanJeff said:

Next best

Most certainly if you are able to roll up 10-11 recruiting classes instead of just 4-5.
    deadbq03
    AG
    Did you know that California has more Republicans than Wyoming, and that Texas has more Democrats than Delaware? Really makes you think...
    fightinag
    Buck Nasty said:

OP, you ever heard of S T A T I S T I C S
    NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
    Arthur Stilwell
    CaveDwellinAg said:

Synopsis said:

TexanJeff said:

Next best

Seems possible they might struggle due to lack of a competent QB, but yes I think they'd be quite good in other phases of the game. Maybe the good skill positions could cover up the QB's deficiencies.
    They would get their asses handed to them every week. And yes, they would lose to the Browns, too.
    92_Ag
    92_Ag
    AG
    FishingAggie
    No one ever wins this aguement. Year after year.

I can't argue this. My only "D" at TAMU was statistics. I hate that crap.
    Windy City Ag
    AG
    Quote:

Why you passing over the Eagles part of that first story? That was a large # of 4 and 5 Star guys...

More out of ignorance than anything. You see the anecdotal evidence in all pros like Larry Allen etc coming from out of nowhere and you wonder if that is the exception to the rule or the trend

CBS Sports did do a study of pro bowlers and their star rankings.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-pro-bowl-rosters-do-recruiting-star-ratings-actually-predict-nfl-success/

Seems like an even split between the unwashed 3s and 2s and the higher ranked recruits. The correlation between stars and college success seems much higher than stars and NFL success.

CaveDwellinAg
    AG
    Sorry, let me be more clear - I'm speaking for Alabama's current NFL players, and was referring to skill players like Julio Jones, and QBs the ilk of McCarron.

Marcell Darius, Landon Collins... lots of good pros in the NFL rn
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.