Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

CFB videogame on the horizon?

3,886 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by turboboost
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

It appears one company is doing its part to bring college football video games back from the dead and on to the latest generation of consoles.

Atlanta-based gaming company iMackulate Vision Gaming (also known as IMV) announced plans to release an unlicensed "college football" video game called Gridiron Champions to be released in 2020. They plan to make the game available on Xbox, PlayStation and PC at a price tag of $59.99.

In the released statement from IMV, the company's CEO envisions this game taking up the absence created by the cancellation of the NCAA Football series by EA Sports.

LINK

One way around licensing is to leave it to the modders. Is this viable going forward? How long until they get sued just because?
Dread Pirate Roberts
Hopefully, it's a good game. People are desperate for a college game, so this could simply be a money grab.
Tosul
AG
Itd be nice to have the game back. Hopefully itll be good
King O Frod
PooDoo
AG
Not buying an unlicensed sports game for $60.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Dread Pirate Roberts said:

Hopefully, it's a good game. People are desperate for a college game, so this could simply be a money grab.

Nailed it. No talk yet of who is actually developing the game. Need some programmers to leave EA and work on this for it to even be credible.

http://www.imackulatevisiongaming.com/faq/
sawemoff2010
AG
PooDoo said:

this........
Coward Jimbo
AG
That game looks terrible, nothing close to the quality of EA
turboboost
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

Quality of EA?

KW Driver
sawemoff2010 said:

PooDoo said:

this........

That's the going rate for XBOX One and PS4 games these days. Licensed content or not.
texancanuck11
I still have an Xbox 360 just for when I get the itch for some ncaa football. That's the only thing I use it for.
Agvet12
AG
RostaPasta(? - been a while since I've played so forgive me if it's wrong) is going to put in some work to re-configure all the teams and leagues
greg.w.h
AG
sawemoff2010 said:

PooDoo said:

this........
So let's parse this:

In the game industry, "licensed" means you pay someone else for using their branding without adding one iota of value other than marketing to the game.

Which is why most gamers avoid like the plague especially movie-related games.

The key thing for the EA NCAA Football series was definitely the licensing of the team regalia and symbols. But the primary sticking point that led to litigation and suspension of the series was the presence of individually identifiable images and names/stats of individual players (with positions being a key identifiable component of the individual player.)

Do we imagine that the NCAA and the schools will resolve that key sticking point of players being present and to some extent or another individually identifiable? Or is the expectation that this will be basically a Tecmo game with generic position players but great branding of the schools included in the "licensing"?

Bayside Tiger Ag
Just pay the players and all the problems go away
Agvet12
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

They are paid in benefits, if you would go through and a do a full cost analysis on what the school gives them as a total overall but kids don't see the behind the scenes costs.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Referring to a pay-for-play model, but I get your point. If college players were directly paid cash to play, EA would likely still be releasing the licensed games.

This is part of a wider discussion, but any starter for the football team is much more valuable than $40K in tuition + any other perks of being part of the team.
RodTidwell
Savior Jimbo said:

In what way, you seem to have incredible insight, could you please expound?
Bobby Jimbo
AG
First off, everything shown is concept art. This company hasn't written a single line of code yet, but somehow they have already announced a release date? That doesn't sound good...
DeepEastTxAg
AG
turboboost said:

Savior Jimbo said:

Quality of EA?

My thoughts exactly. EA is an absolute garbage company. Hopefully this game does well enough that they can continue, because their plan is to eventually release a licensed game using their completely random player and roster generation.
Coward Jimbo
AG
EA Sports NCAA Football games were very underappreciated when they were still being made. Now that they are gone, people are starting to realize just how good they were.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Back when lootboxes were scarce but now, an EA NCAA game would be UNLOCK AN INSTANT 5 STAR RECRUIT CRATE WITH 1 GUARANTEED STAR PLAYER ONLY 4.99. Do you want Player points pay 10.00 for 10000 player points
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
tbirdspur2010
AG
NCAA Football was my primary video game. When it ended, so did my gaming, really.

Hopefully this new game is good enough. The timing of the last EA one sucked for two reasons: 1.) It ended just before the college football playoff would have been a thing in the game, and 2.) It ended before we finished renovating Kyle Field.
TexAg15
AG
PooDoo said:

This dude didn't play "Blitz: The League".
But for real, this game will suck. Non-AAA devs suck at sports games for some reason. Give me an example where I am wrong.
NoahAg
tbirdspur2010 said:

NCAA Football was my primary video game. When it ended, so did my gaming, really.

This. Got an Xbox my sr. year at A&M. Played NCAA 2003 for 7-8 years until the Xbox died. Now I just play Mario on the Wii with my kids.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I'm not as desperate for a college football game as much as just desperate for an alternative to Madden. EA has monopolized the football game market for far too long. Lack of competition has left the genre stale and repetitive. Even the last few years of NCAA were pretty terrible video games. But no one knew any better so we bought it anyway.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

Just have the players sign a waiver. If they sign they're in the video game. If they don't then they're not. What 18-22 year-old isn't going to want to be in a video game if those are their two options.

Also, I still can't understand the difference between making money off of showing players on television vs making money off of putting them in a video game that doesn't even show their face or name.
turboboost
AG
If anyone is interested you might want to revisit All Pro Football...
If you prefer an arcade style game (EA Madden or NCAA) then look for your licensed game (NFL screwed simulation football gamers) . Personally I prefer simulation football or sports gaming...

Only games available that will give you simulation gameplay is 2K4, 2K5 and all pro. All three of these games are 10 years or more older than the EA product and far exceeds the game play offered on next Gen consoles.

Just YouTube NFL 2K5 halftime presentation. Franchise is light years deeper than EA. No morphing or skating into position to intercept, tackle or catch a pass. True pass arch, trajectory and pass placement.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.