Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Stewart Mandel

5,006 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jagvocate
mjhhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure where the zoo falls on Stewart Mandel. I know they generally hate all national writers so I will assume the feelings about him are negative. This entry from his latest mailbag won't help:

If you released a new edition of your book this year, what teams would qualify for the "Ole Miss/Clemson Syndrome?" I feel like Clemson has turned a more permanent corner and Ole Miss fans have become fairly realistic about their current place in the CFB landscape.
Darren G., Naples, Fla.
That thing has gone through several different incarnations. Originally it was "Auburn/Clemson Syndrome," but Auburn went undefeated in 2004, so I could no longer consider their fans' expectations to be delusional. So then it became Ole Miss/Clemson Syndrome. But even long before Dabo Swinney's ascendence, I took Clemson out of the name just for keeping perennial 7-5 coach Tommy Bowden around for as long as it did. That took some serious patience.
So then it became Ole Miss/Texas A&M Syndrome, and I pretty much forgot about the whole concept for the past five to seven years.
Today, I think we can all agree that just saying "Texas A&M" out loud sufficiently encapsulates the whole delusions of grandeur thing in college football.

Arthur Stilwell
What a stupid response.
ottc777
so he has to keep revising his stupid name because he's continually wrong. Sounds like good news to me.
dixichkn
AG
well.....to be fair, the proof has to be in the pudding. Win 10 year in and year out and shut his dumb ass up.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
He's not exactly wrong.

He also thinks A&M will be the next team which hasn't won an SEC championship to turn the page and do so, "There's no reason he [Jimbo] shouldn't at least contend for conference championships," Mandel wrote. "A&M has everything a coach could ask for. The school showed under Sumlin it can hold its own in recruiting against the Longhorns, and Fisher has an even better track record in that department. One of the easiest predictions you could make 11 months in advance is that Fisher will sign a top-three class next February."
swc93
AG
Darren G. from Naples, FL does not exist.
Olaf
AG
The analysis of the recent seasons is accurate.

But I will never understand the "accept your place" argument. Why the hell would anyone do that?! And not just in football, but any competitive aspect of life.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
How does one get from this:

Quote:

"There's no reason he [Jimbo] shouldn't at least contend for conference championships," Mandel wrote. "A&M has everything a coach could ask for.
To this:

Quote:

just saying "Texas A&M" out loud sufficiently encapsulates the whole delusions of grandeur thing in college football.
??

Should we expect/demand to be good or not?
mjhhawk
I think from reading him in the past is that his argument and description of the "Syndrome" is that we consider ourselves a national power when we don't really have the history to back it up. Hopefully Jimbo will do that (and Mandel has been positive about the hiring) but historically a typical Aggie year is 8-5 and we seem to think it is 11-2 or 12-1. Can't wait for it to change to "Sips Syndrome" as they continue to get ranked in the pre-season and struggle to finish .500.
Bonfire1996
AG
Click bait. Nothing more.
NewOldAg
AG
Given the fact that he keeps having to change the name, it seems like this is more indicative that keeping high expectations eventually pays off. The message I'm hearing is to keep your expectations high because if you stay at it you can break through. The CFB landscape isn't as crystallized as people think it is.
AWP 97
AG
I an obviously biased, but I've never heard a solid argument why A&M can't be great in football. The only argument is that we have never done it before. If tomorrow everybody woke up with no memory of anything that happened in football previously and could only evaluate programs based on today's resources, the Aggies would be considered one of the top programs in the country.

This is like telling someone who grows up poor that they can never make anything of themselves because their family has always been poor.
TexanJeff
AG
Didn't Clemson win a Natty in the 1980s?

What kind of crap is this?
Amazing Moves
What a *****.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'm 43. The older I get, the more I realize that national sports guys, whether it be radio, print, or TV are pretty much worthless. They got to their platforms because of their ability to get eyeballs/ears. They do that by riling people up one way or the other, not because of their superior sports knowledge/writing/casting ability. You simply cannot be a national guy and do your homework well enough to have anything more than a "drive by" opinion.

Tl;Dr version: national sports guys are almost all trolls.
Beer Knurd
I realize that few do "everybody hates us" whining better than this board but he's right. Nobody underperforms like we do. Look at all the resources we have and then look at the record over the last 10 years. It's not even arguable.

FWIW, in one of his mailbags from 10 years ago or so, someone asked him who he would list as his sleeping giant in college football. He named us. It's not his fault that we haven't lived up to it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Beer Knurd said:

I realize that few do "everybody hates us" whining better than this board but he's right. Nobody underperforms like we do. Look at all the resources we have and then look at the record over the last 10 years. It's not even arguable.

FWIW, in one of his mailbags from 10 years ago or so, someone asked him who he would list as his sleeping giant in college football. He named us. It's not his fault that we haven't lived up to it.

That's the point. Not living up to expectations and having delusions of grandeur are two very, very different things. He can't have it both ways.
dixichkn
AG
Exactly. I think his opinion is that we all think we're supposed to be rolling in championship trophies. Nothing could be further from the truth. Maybe a few incurable pumpers in the bunch. But I don't think too many are harsher critics of the state of A&M football than the Zoo. The term "battered Aggie syndrome" stems from a VERY real place.........
BVAg85
AG
So he just simply says this school or that school has this "syndrome", then when they win he replaces them with another school. Is it wrong to want the team you root for to win a championship. I never understood why it is delusional to want your team to win, no matter the sport. Isn't that what fans do? Should New England Patriots fans from 30 years ago not wished for a winning team. They were a perennial loser. Their fans should have been happy with that until the end of time? I don't get his point.
He sounds like an arrogant sip.
Mule
AG
Sounds like the dude is talking out of both sides of his mouth...and why sould that surprise us?
Texas Aggies
SchizoAg
AG
This guy never changes. I remember him getting all butthurt about A&M rising above our station back when we decided consecutive records of 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 weren't good enough for us and we fired Slocum. And then he got butthurt about us rising above our station in hiring Franchione away from Bama, showing that loyalty is dead, money is everything, and blah blah.

That was back in 2002. I never read his crap articles since then.
test sig
Olaf
AG
NewOldAg said:

Given the fact that he keeps having to change the name, it seems like this is more indicative that keeping high expectations eventually pays off. The message I'm hearing is to keep your expectations high because if you stay at it you can break through. The CFB landscape isn't as crystallized as people think it is.

If anything it's like he's saying we're the next auburn or Clemson lol
MrAbyss
at this point we should be completely unfased by this. they write it cause we keep clicking it
cevans_40
AG
WGAF?
Chesapeake Ag
Jimbo's hiring is the first time I've felt since Jackie that we actually selected a coach with due diligence. (I believe Bear Bryant may have even had a minor role.) Even RC's hiring was under duress.

A&M has had all of the tools for more than a generation to be at the top, and the move to the SEC delinked our fate from the Longhorns.

This one looks on the surface like the same "pick one target and hire him" kind of coaching search we always do, but the difference is Woodward is clearly a guy who evaluates his coaches in detail and a practitioner of MBWA.

He does all of his due diligence ahead of time (think Petersen's hiring at UW) and he sat through all of Jimbo's coaching meetings when they were at LSU, so he knew exactly what he was getting.

Coaching has been the missing piece at A&M. People forget that FSU was nothing until Bowden got there, and Oregon, Boise State, etc. have no inherent advantages to explain their rise.

College football changed once scholarship limits and TV contracts began to dominate it, and in today's world geographic distance means little.
Method Man
Yes but do we have delusions of grandeur? Nobody really considers what we've accomplished as anything great. The idea that we have the money, support, facilities and location to be better isn't a delusion of grandeur. It's a fact. We do deserve better.
jagvocate
AG
Just shove it down his throat and bruise his forehead with it in four years
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.