Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It's interesting that Nick Saban does not have an NFL 1st round 1st pick

6,016 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OldShadeOfBlue
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

When a coach like KDS also has one.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/nfl-draft-coaches-with-no-1-overall-pick/

Quote:

The NFL draft is coming up later this week, and a handful of college football coaches could potentially have their first player chosen first overall. Among those looking to join a short list of active head coaches with a top overall draft pick on their watch includes Penn State's James Franklin, USC's Clay Helton and Wyoming's Craig Bohl.
There are just six active head coaches in FBS that have sent a player to the top of the NFL draft order, and only one of those coaches are currently at the same school they had a player go No. 1 overall. Stanford's David Shaw was the head coach of the Cardinal when Andrew Luck went with the first overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft to the Indianapolis Colts. The other five coaches on the current list have since moved on to another job since they had a player go with the first pick in the draft. Three of those active coaches will have new jobs starting this fall.
Jimbo Fisher of Texas A&M was the head coach of Florida State when quarterback Jameis Winston went first overall in 2015. More recently, Sonny Dykes was the head coach at Cal when Jared Goff went to the Los Angeles Rams in 2016. Dykes is now the head coach at SMU. And just last year, Arizona's Kevin Sumlin saw defensive end Myles Garrett go to the Cleveland Browns from Texas A&M with the first pick.

edwardsk2003
AG
Not that surprising to me honestly... 1st round 1st picks are usually Rush DEs or QBs (maybe an amazing LT)

His QBs have all been average... absolutely nothing more than average. 'game managers'

Saban plays a very balanced - pro-style, 'personal responsibility' 3-4 defense. He's very very rarely going to have the Von Miller, Myles Garrett type DE....

greg.w.h
AG
Well...poor Nick. I guess he'll have to go drown his sorrows in another national championship run.
ShouldastayedataTm
Saban has 22 first round picks, and ninteen losses in his time at Alabama, who cares about the overall number 1 pick.
TheFirebird
AG
This is kind of a useless metric. So many wild cards and different factors go into determining who is the number one overall pick each year. You can be a great coach, win national titles, and never have an overall number one. Mack Brown never had an overall number one at Texas. Dabo Swinney hasn't sent a number one overall.

The metric that's useful is a steady stream of first round draft picks, a steady stream of talent in the middle and lower rounds, and players having productive NFL careers.
akm91
AG
Not at all surprising since QB's have always dominate #1 picks. Saban's team has always been about a great defense and an offense that relies on the running game with a QB that manages the game. No one is going to reach for a game manager with the #1 pick.

The draft since 2000 (18)
* QB - 12
* DE - 4
* OT - 2
ABATTBQ11
AG
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Saban has 22 first round picks, and ninteen losses in his time at Alabama, who cares about the overall number 1 pick.

This. I'd rather have a dynasty program with no draft picks than a bunch of #1's and no championships.
Tamu_mgm
AG
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Can't argue with that.
akm91
AG
Nor this:

Alpha Texan
AG
Kevin Sumlin > Nick Saban
saw em off
akm91 said:

Nor this:

Can't tell what's on that football on the right, when did they play tu for any significant game?
AG
Nick Saban has lost control of the Cleveland Browns!!
Alpha Texan
AG
2010 nattie championship. Tide Rolled.
aggie090
AG
Actually, No it is not!
JayAggie
AG
Quote:

Can't tell what's on that football on the right, when did they play tu for any significant game?

National Championship - 2010
Galborathelion
I think you could argue that his teams are so loaded with talent top to bottom, that individual players don't have the opportunity to stand out as much.
saw em off
Lbull said:

Wow, I seriously don't remember the sips being in the MNC that recently.
Tamu_mgm
AG
saw em off said:

Lbull said:

It was for the 09 season, so damn near a decade ago.
BombayAg
Lbull said:

Kevin Sumlin > Nick Saban

Hire Sumlin back!
dixichkn
AG
Galborathelion said:

I think you could argue that his teams are so loaded with talent top to bottom, that individual players don't have the opportunity to stand out as much.
This. So much talent that he's allowed to put on the field that no one is required to carry the load. Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson probably came the closest. It's the situation all coaches dream of.
canadiaggie
AG
JayAggie said:

Quote:

National Championship - 2010
I actually vaguely remember watching this game in high school. I remember McCoy getting hurt and Gilbert proceeding to suck ass for the remainder of the game.

I went back and watched the video, I didn't remember the hit on McCoy being as soft as it was. It didn't seem like anything serious.
micahb2002
AG
System players.
PooDoo
AG
saw em off said:

Lbull said:

In your defense, after 24 unanswered points in the 2nd qtr they really weren't IN the game.
halfastros81
AG
He may not have the first overall pick but he's got a lot of first rounders and a ton of ex players in the nfl. His program is a recruiting machine.
Al Bula
AG
I don't find it interesting at all
Propofolsu
He does: (he just happen to be in Miami)

Jamarcus Russell LSU

Panama Red
AG
This is the game longhorn fan loves to tell you "we would have won if McCoy didn't get hurt!!!"

Well they wouldn't have even been in that game if Bradford didn't get hurt at Red River game.
Mister Mystery Guest
Ag Tag
Saban is obviously over the hill.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Just think about how many first picks the Browns have and then ask yourself why it matters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.