Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Call your shot - where does Johnny end up this year

15,885 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Agsgirl
TopoTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't he still have practice squad eligibility? If so I definitely believe he's going to be picked up by the likes of the Saints or the Pats. I'd imagine he doesn't officially sign anywhere until after the draft, but he definitely has the ability to back-up someone somewhere so long as a team believes he will put in the work.
Sad Aggie Fan
AG
I would place my bets on the Oakland Raiders. Jon Gruden was by far one of Johnny's leading cheerleaders during the whole process leading up to the draft. In 2014 when the Raiders had the #4 pick Gruden urged them to draft Johnny. He also pushed for the Bucs to draft him in an interview stating "If they pick Johnny Football, I might have to reapply for my season tickets. I would love to see my hometown Bucs take Johnny Football, we need a kid like this to bring juice back to our organization." Here he is on Mike and Mike stating that he is a "Big fan of his" http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14103301

Right now the clear starter for the Raiders is Derek Carr. Derek has been struggling recently with staying healthy and Greg Olson's new system. His backups are EJ Manuel and Connor Cook, I would expect Manuel to re-sign with Oakland and them to drop Cook after him struggling this past season.

The Raiders have a coach who loves him and a clear need for a consistent QB2 to backup Derek Carr. I think Gruden has the ability and knowledge on how to handle a media storm around a player and to get guys to buy into a system. I think this is the only realistic shot at him getting to play.

But when they eventually move to Vegas..... all bets are off for Billy Manziel
CajunAg97
AG
Phoenix1 said:

PatAg said:

Phoenix1 said:

rangerdanger said:

I think he ends up at Saints training camp. Payton has talked to him in the past, the depth behind Brees blows, and his running ability would mesh well with the stable of backs they have.

LMAO- Peyton wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole. Do you really think dumping JFF in the middle of New Orleans is a good idea? Why not the Raiders once they move to Vegas? Or some team in Amsterdam?
I think putting Johnny on a team with Drew Brees and Sean Peyton is the type of situation I wish he had been in when he got drafted.
"LMAO"

You'll clearly haven't followed the Saints since '06. Payton does not deal with people like Manziel- period. If they do slide under his and Loomis' radar payton gets rid of them quick. He has no tolerance for arse clowns.
100% spot on....
Aggie_2463
AG
Patriots
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nowhere. CFL season is only about 6 weeks away so that is looking less likely by the day. I dont think an NFL team touches him until he can put up a productive, clean season or two in the CFL.
oysterbayAG
AG
Most likely he will have to play 2 years for the Tigercats to prove himself and get out of the deep hole he dug himself into. ( From Lake Erie to Lake Ontario )
FtLauderdaleAg91
AG
We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
PacifistAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Nowhere. CFL season is only about 6 weeks away so that is looking less likely by the day. I dont think an NFL team touches him until he can put up a productive, clean season or two in the CFL.
I read somewhere that he has until May 16th if he goes the CFL route. That's when rookie camp starts there. May 20th is start of regular camp, so he probably has a good 3 weeks left to decide. We probably shouldn't expect anything until after the NFL draft and teams have a better understanding of their QB needs.

I know the Patriots have been a team that's at least had their name tied to him. They brought in Lamar Jackson for a top-30 visit. I imagine if they don't go QB in the first few rounds, they may go ahead and take the risk of bringing Johnny to camp.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Bonfire1996
AG
MidTnAg
AG
If he is smart, CFL!!!
MidTnAg
AG
If he goes to the CFL, he will have to be there for 2 years. CFL contract will be a two-year contract.
Threadbare
Tom Curran, NBC sports NFL/Patriots insider says that if Kraft will sign off on it, Manziel will be in the Patriots pre-season camp. (Though, if he doesn't like profanity, I hope he doesn't listen to the Barstool pod cast...)

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/johnny-manziel-patriots-tom-curran-thinks-so
SoTxAg
AG
Now that the draft is over, any team looking to add qb depth?
Gidnik
nowhere
Dallas82
RetiredAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I read somewhere that he has until May 16th if he goes the CFL route. That's when rookie camp starts there. May 20th is start of regular camp, so he probably has a good 3 weeks left to decide. We probably shouldn't expect anything until after the NFL draft and teams have a better understanding of their QB needs.

I know the Patriots have been a team that's at least had their name tied to him. They brought in Lamar Jackson for a top-30 visit. I imagine if they don't go QB in the first few rounds, they may go ahead and take the risk of bringing Johnny to camp.

If he goes there I'm guessing he has until the 16th.
JayAggie
AG
Hamilton is the smart play. He should get to actually play, NFL can get tape on him, and in 2 years he can sign with a NFL team after he shows he's matured and his game is still good.
Threadbare
I agree (JayAggie - I should have replied to you). If he goes to an NFL camp and gets cut, then he's really hung out to dry. The clock on his career is ticking. There is still an interest among a sizeable fraction of the football public, but, if he doesn't play this year, that will erode quickly and completely.

He should go to the CFL, pour himself into it whole-heartedly, and play for one good NFL contract down the road.

If the Ticats were smart, they'd sweeten the deal just enough so that he feels like he has to take the offer on the table.

The downside for them if he washes out is modest, but, if he hits big, people will be wearing Hamilton jerseys that had never even heard of them before.
Sex Panther
AG
Threadbare said:

Tom Curran, NBC sports NFL/Patriots insider says that if Kraft will sign off on it, Manziel will be in the Patriots pre-season camp. (Though, if he doesn't like profanity, I hope he doesn't listen to the Barstool pod cast...)

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/johnny-manziel-patriots-tom-curran-thinks-so

Maybe I'm optimistic... but this guy sounds pretty connected and sure on this
Texas300Mag
AG
Cancun or Cabo
Threadbare
Sex Panther said:

Threadbare said:

Maybe I'm optimistic... but this guy sounds pretty connected and sure on this
I thought so, too. Only question is if Kraft if really willing to walk back some of what he said before and take the heat for it...
Threadbare
I don't even really know what the AAF is, and neither does anybody else.

https://www.tsn.ca/manziel-could-lean-towards-aaf-rather-than-cfl-1.1074096

I think if he does this (doesn't play until the spring next year, and then shows up in a league nobody's ever heard of or cares about), that will probably just about set the sun on his football career. I hope he's getting good advice...

Agsgirl
Agsgirl said:

jjmanzano said:

Huntsville
C'mon man....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.